The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

viablex1

Took my new Fuji GF 100-200mm and GFX50R into my studio to test it out. Only "model" I had available was my rescue Collie/Aussie mix. He wanted me to brush him first, but I told him it was just a test, not his passport photo or his business headshot. He was ok with that.

I had shutter speed dial set on 1/125th sec syn, but must have moved the rear command dial and was shooting at 1/160th. I did notice a thin black line at the top of the image. After that I change a function swipe to LARGE INDICATORS MODE, which makes all the type in the EVF larger, great for glasses wearer and old eyes.

Just slightly cropped image and cropped eye of that file.

f5.6 @ 200mm
stunning image even on this uncalibrated pos work computer it looks incredible!!!:bugeyes:

Boinger

Bigger isn’t always better, or why you can’t see the difference most of the time

FEBRUARY 21, 2019 BY MING THEIN 42 COMMENTS

https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/02/21/bigger-isnt-always-better/#more-17682
I don't really agree with him.

I have an A7rii and a X1d, and while in theory they should be similar in quality. As soon as I start poking and prodding the A7rii files they just don't result in pleasing files to me. The colors look harsh and crushed, and in general just don't look nice. Even at high ISO's I prefer the X1d files they are much more malleable.

Take that for what it it's worth YMMV

dave.gt

We have the strangest weather in these parts of the Southeast, even in late summer. Occasionally, I even have a camera with me to remember what I see.:)

Hasselblad H5D-50c, 80/2.8:
ELKC9918.jpg

drunkenspyder

I don't really agree with him.

I have an A7rii and a X1d, and while in theory they should be similar in quality. As soon as I start poking and prodding the A7rii files they just don't result in pleasing files to me. The colors look harsh and crushed, and in general just don't look nice. Even at high ISO's I prefer the X1d files they are much more malleable.

Take that for what it it's worth YMMV
My experience is similar between my Nikons and my Phase (as well as, but much more severely, my Lumix MFT), as i noted in my first reaction. But I don’t think that’s at all inconsistent with what Ming wrote. He specifically did not create or attempt to create an equivalence of IQ or File Quality across formats, let alone individual camera/sensor models. I think he nailed light capturing and noise comparisons and, for any given circumstance, using the best sensor you can—which is where the variables come into play.
P.S. But Dave is right, this should be in a different thread.

drunkenspyder

We have the strangest weather in these parts of the Southeast, even in late summer. Occasionally, I even have a camera with me to remember what I see.:)

Hasselblad H5D-50c, 80/2.8:
I know exactly what you mean Dave. There is an “atmospheric richness” in the Southeast that is so interesting. Don’t know how much of it is humidity, colliding fronts, richness of vegetation, the Gulf and the Atlantic, the fall line that runs right through your neck of the woods, or what. But it can make for great shooting. It’s also a good argument for basements. 😉

dave.gt

Steven,

Wow, that scene is delicious! No better way to describe it with the light, the colors, and the simple reduction composition. Cool!!!:thumbs:

stevenfr

Hi Dave

Thanks for the great feedback. Its funny when I was shooting this scene I wasn’t excited. It wasn’t the feeling I got as compared to the other images I shot on this trip. I usually have a really good sense of things when I shoot them, to know if the scene is a winner. When I got home and reviewed the images, this image stuck out. It was rare to get any sunset light. The shape of the hill, the placement of the trees combined with the soft sunset light really made me think this image was special and rare compared to my other images.

Steven

Steven,

Wow, that scene is delicious! No better way to describe it with the light, the colors, and the simple reduction composition. Cool!!!:thumbs:

dave.gt

Beautiful image. I am particularly taken by the juxtaposition of the warmer peach colored sky against the cool hued snow.

John
Like John said...

Three things, Snow, Sky and Trees. That is all there is!:thumbup:

The geometry is excellent. The sky color is to die for. The simplicity is stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.