The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

Scene from my workplace, or rather a version of it that required some editing (a chimney actually obscures the view of St. Paul's cathedral, but by wandering about and shooting from multiple vantage points, I could piece the clear scene together).

Pentax 645Z with 6x7 300mm EDIF lens.

[/url]IMGP5166_Step11CropSpotSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Greg Haag

3rd attempt at light painting, I have found light contamination in unintended places one of my biggest challenges so far.

33 Ford 3 window coupe Hasselblad H6D-100c

Green Coupe.jpg

Last edited:

vjbelle

Greg..... I hope you can take the time maybe to start a thread sharing your techniques and equipment used. Doesn't have to be a tutorial but just sharing some of your experiences - especially lighting equipment.

Victor

Greg Haag

Greg..... I hope you can take the time maybe to start a thread sharing your techniques and equipment used. Doesn't have to be a tutorial but just sharing some of your experiences - especially lighting equipment.

Victor
Thank you Victor, I will work on that. There is a gentleman by the name of Harold Ross who does amazing work. I would really like to go to one of his one on one workshops. I have attached a link to his website.

https://www.haroldrossfineart.com/still-life

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thank you Victor, I will work on that. There is a gentleman by the name of Harold Ross who does amazing work. I would really like to go to one of his one on one workshops. I have attached a link to his website.

https://www.haroldrossfineart.com/still-life
Ditto with Dave Black. I’ve done landscape night photography/light painting with Lance Keimig too. Dave Black is more into the object/sculpting overall I feel.

M

mjr

Morning

I quite like how the ice is breaking up on the edges of the more sheltered lakes, some nice shapes but harsh light.

M

mjr

Yes, I have multiple versions in black and white, it just doesn't speak to me, it's not a great shot to be honest. If clouds had been better, light less harsh then maybe it would have worked, but left now so will never know!

Mat

D&A

"Start of Life" Budding of Cherry Blossoms. Washington D.C.
Pentax 645D; FA 120mm f4.

(Note, ripples on the upper part of frame is the undulation of the Tidal Basin water)

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

Last edited:

dj may

Yes, I have multiple versions in black and white, it just doesn't speak to me, it's not a great shot to be honest. If clouds had been better, light less harsh then maybe it would have worked, but left now so will never know!

Mat
Mat,

You will be happy to hear that I disagree with you.:eek: This shot has much potential in both color and black and white. You mentioned that you liked the structures on the left. The following are my suggestions to emphasize those structures.

1. Burn (darken) all the bright snow areas so that they are just a little bit darker than your structures. It only needs to be slightly darker in order to direct the eye your structures.
2. Burn the sky so that it is also darker than your structures.
3. Burn the right side.
4. Burn the bottom.
5. After the burning, use curves to extend the tones so that you have a long tonal range from black to white (dark to bright).

If you would like me to demonstrate what I mean, message me. I will give you a link to my private cloud, to which you can upload a raw file.

Regards,
Jesse

M

mjr

Hi Jesse

Thanks for your comments, I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me, happens all the time!

Whilst I appreciate what you're saying, I would never do that amount of work or put that effort in to any image ever! It's not a bad composition and I do like the shapes and the mountain in the distance, but I didn't have time there so it was basically a grab shot as I was passing. If I had longer, then I would have done better to capture it in good light, probably also used a different focal length to bring the background closer but ultimately, you can't polish a turd as is often said!

So I appreciate what you're saying but it is what it is and I don't like trying to drag it in to being something it's not, it's an ok image and if I want it to be better then I have to work harder at capturing it when it looks better, maybe even in blue hour would have worked, darker skies but glowing white mountains and snow would have been nice.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion!

Mat

Ed Hurst

...but ultimately, you can't polish a turd as is often said!

Funnily enough, if the turd is frozen, you probably can (not that I have attempted such a thing - but seemed appropriate to point this out with such a chilly image!)

Ed Hurst

Ethical feedback

Hello all,

Seeking the wise counsel of this group! Below are two versions of a picture I recently took (it will be familiar!). One shows the scene as it was (apart from removing a chimney that was in the way) and the other seeks a more pleasing composition by moving around some structures in the scene. I don't pretend it's a faithful depiction of the scene - just an image I like.

Any thoughts on this sort of thing?

Ed

[/url]IMGP5166_Step11CropSpotSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]IMGP5166_Step15FlatSpotSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.