The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjbelle

My wife did some research and found places that were not prone to crowds and found the most lovely garden area that has so far been the most enjoyable destination in Kyoto. It is off the beaten path and we were literally alone. It was also difficult to find as it was part of a Buddhist temple area with many private areas. This is one of the stack images I took. There are other gardens with similar images but also with another 500 people..... we were alone!!

GFX 50s, 45mm, 10 file focus stack

Cheers.....

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ed,

I believe that we've probably stood on the same spot, although 15 years apart! Nice job although it looks like it's time for some brickwork fixes since I was last there.

I took that almost identical shot back in 2004 but at that time using a Mamiya AFD/Kodak 645M. I do like the extra colour richness & resolution and DoF that you managed. Your longer lens compression also achieved a much better job than I did back then with obviously a wider lens.:thumbs:

Graham

This one needed some fairly vigorous focus stacking (18 files).

Balcombe viaduct on the main railway line from London to Brighton, completed in 1842.

Pentax 645Z with 6x7 200mm f4 lens.

[/URL]FocusStackFromFilesIMGP5270-87_Step5RotCropSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Attachments

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

After seeing Ed's excellent rendition of Balcome / Ouse Valley viaduct I decided to go back and find my Kodak DCS 645M originals and reprocess them with Photoshop ACR. Wow, what a difference 15 years of colour science (and personal aesthetic changes on my part) can do. I'll post a redo on the fat pixel back thread since 16mp 4k x 4k sensor was definitely in the 'porky' pixel category!

Btw, I was born less than 10 miles up the road from there :thumbup:

Now if I see an image from Ed of this location then I'll begin to think that he's been stalking my image collection. :ROTFL:

Also Kodak DCS645M from my ancient photographic history ... (Ed hint: St Thomas A' Becket Church in Fairfield Kent - I'm sure that you could do an awesome night image there! )

F2BF1357-F583-4FAF-9332-A6B6616D6503.jpeg

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

After seeing Ed's excellent rendition of Balcome / Ouse Valley viaduct I decided to go back and find my Kodak DCS 645M originals and reprocess them with Photoshop ACR. Wow, what a difference 15 years of colour science (and personal aesthetic changes on my part) can do. I'll post a redo on the fat pixel back thread since 16mp 4k x 4k sensor was definitely in the 'porky' pixel category!

Btw, I was born less than 10 miles up the road from there :thumbup:

Now if I see an image from Ed of this location then I'll begin to think that he's been stalking my image collection. :ROTFL:

Also Kodak DCS645M from my ancient photographic history ... (Ed hint: St Thomas A' Becket Church in Fairfield Kent - I'm sure that you could do an awesome night image there! )

Thanks everyone for your kindness about my Balcombe viaduct picture!

And, Graham, very interesting to compare our two shots... You seem to have had better light when you were there - must go and have another try some time.

I assure you that there is no location-plagiarism, at least not so far. But a star trail picture of that Kent shot seems like a great idea to me. Might have to do just that ;-)

Ed Hurst

The BT Tower in London (previously known as the GPO Tower, the Post Office Tower and the Telecom Tower). Built in 1964, the main tower is 581 feet tall - which made it the tallest building in the UK until 1980. Until it was eclipsed by other, larger structures, it was once an icon of London. It used to have public access, with a revolving restaurant - something that was stopped due to security concerns. It still serves as a key element of the communications system.

Pentax 645Z with 6x7 300mm f4 EDIF.

IMGP5069_Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

vjbelle

Another iconic Japan image that I just had to have for my own. From Kyoto almost 3 hours and to take the shot about 15 minutes so about six hours of travel for this image but who cares - I'm a tourist with a camera and a tripod:p. An easy shot with lots of people around but they had no impact on me. At least the lighting was to my advantage.

Fuji 50s, 63mm, Big stopper + GND

Cheers from Japan.......

Victor

Attachments

Ed Hurst

Just to provide some perspective on London's ever-expanding skyline, this picture shows a current scene. The second tall building from the left (now called Tower 42, formerly the NatWest Tower) was the building the eclipsed the BT Tower for size, being 600ft tall. The Gherkin (to the left of the shot) is newer and nearly as tall at 590 ft. The building rapidly sprouting behind it (22 Bishopgate) it dwarfs them all, at 912 ft. The Shard (not shown in this scene, but in the St. Paul's shots I posted recently) is even taller at 1,016ft. All very impressive, but certainly not the London I grew up visiting...

Pentax 645Z with 6x7 300mm f4 EDIF

[/url]IMGP5184_Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

GrahamWelland

Victor,

Lovely image and I notice the attention to separation between the shrine and the distant hill line. The little things that really matter in an image.

I can relate to the 15 minutes of greatness after many hours, heck weeks of travel, just to get a single image. I've taken multiple trips to northern Canada and Alaska to get a decent aurora image and only managed it for about an hour on the night I arrived in Fairbanks, and then spent the next 8 nights completely skunked this year in March. For Yellowknife, 4 days / nights for nothing and ended up moving to Jasper/Banff instead for an easier target rich environment.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

The second tall building from the left (now called Tower 42, formerly the NatWest Tower) was the building the eclipsed the BT Tower for size, being 600ft tall.
Wow - I used to work next to the NatWest tower, had my office destroyed by the IRA back in the day, and my boss's office in the NatWest tower was devastated in the same bombing. After that I worked at UBS where we had a data center located just to the left of the tower (nice compression of the Gherkin) about centre of that building but in an underground location that was something out of a futuristic SciFi movie.

Btw trivia point, if you look down on the NatWest tower it was built to represent the NatWest logo. Another example of this I've run into was in Sao Paulo where the IBM campus was supposed to have buildings representing the I B & M but only the I was built before they hit the wall as an iconic organisation. B & M never got built.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

I assure you that there is no location-plagiarism, at least not so far. But a star trail picture of that Kent shot seems like a great idea to me. Might have to do just that ;-)
Don't worry, I was joking :ROTFL::thumbs:

Do take a trip to Fairfield though. Very strange seeing a 13th century church in the middle of a marsh where the entire town has literally disappeared over the centuries. Great iconic British photo location that I'm sure that you'd nail.

vjbelle

Graham..... thanks for the comment. The Japan rail system is truly a wonderful way to travel as its the fastest, quiet and very comfortable. It was just that the day had to be thought through for us as we were traveling 'Green Car Reserved Seating' throughout our stay. We are here during the extreme busy time as its a national holiday coupled with the retirement of the Emperor which means that reserve seating is a must vs just showing up at the train station and getting on a non-reserved car.

I took my Actus with me along with several Schneider lenses but have not used it except for Kanazawa which was a much more relaxed location. My most used lenses were the 45mm and 63mm. I had toyed with getting the 23mm but I rarely shoot extreme wide and have found, so far, that 23mm would be too wide for anything I have seen so far - including the rock gardens. A 35mm lens (for Fuji 44X33) would have worked out well. Long lens use is rare......

Victor

Last edited:

vjbelle

We stayed in Kanazawa to see the famous Kenroku-en park which turned out to be packed with people and, to me, somewhat un-photographic. Luckily it was next to the Kanazawa Castle Park where I stumbled across a small lovely garden area where my wife and I were literally alone. I couldn’t resist taking numerous images in this area.

GFX 50s, Actus, 120mm Schneider Digitar.

Cheers from Japan…..

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

Shashin

Another iconic Japan image that I just had to have for my own. From Kyoto almost 3 hours and to take the shot about 15 minutes so about six hours of travel for this image but who cares - I'm a tourist with a camera and a tripod:p. An easy shot with lots of people around but they had no impact on me. At least the lighting was to my advantage.

Fuji 50s, 63mm, Big stopper + GND

Cheers from Japan.......

Victor
Miyajima is a wonderful place. My wife and I stayed on an almost empty island several years ago. She called an inn to book a room. She asked the price and agreed to the fee. Then she said we would be there that evening, December 30th. The innkeeper was a bit taken back, but could not tell us the inn was closed that night in preparation for the New Years holiday. Not often you get to stay in empty hotels in such popular destinations.

It has a great Shrine as well. You may have seen this chap:

M

mjr

Morning

It looks like it will be well over 30 degrees here today, back in to Baghdad life with the sound of gunfire drifting on the morning breeze, not a cloud in the sky and the general feeling you get just waking up in Iraq, all good fun!

Anyway, just over a week ago I woke up to big fat snowflakes gently falling in Lofoten, nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.