The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What?!? No 250 and 1.4TC and what about the 45-100? You cannot stop until your pack exceeds the weight of your Phase One pack.
I was just answering for a friend. Personally, the 250/4 & TC iS also in my Phase One branded F-Stop Satori bag :thumbs:

I'd like to recommend the Phase One XF equivalent but even as robust as I am, I struggle with the 35LS, 75-100 & 240LS + TC.

Last edited:

algrove

Lou,

Africa is intoxicating. I grew up there so I am biased but never get tired of returning. This is my 7th safari and 4th at Sabi Sabi. The good news is that after a while you can let yourself be much more creative and selective in what you shoot. The Fuji was great for mostly quiet moments. I wasn't even bothering with birds in flight or lots of motion though so it was definitely a case of picking the best opportunities to shoot knowing that you could get the most from the system's limitations.

As regards the pop - I realize that people will think that it's post processing but it really isn't. The Fuji lenses just pop'd wide open. +10 clarity in C1 Pro and then output as 1600px with standard optimization/output profile for screen. That's it, period. :thumbs:

Two inches in focus is fun to play with but when you get it right it makes for some super results. I'm not sharing the failures (of which there were many) :ROTFL:
Graham
Besides your 250 and 100-200 lenses and 1.4 TC what other Fuji lens(es) did you take and use?

GrahamWelland

Graham
Besides your 250 and 100-200 lenses and 1.4 TC what other Fuji lens(es) did you take and use?
I took my 45/2.8 as the other lens. TBH I only used the 100-200 & 250 +/- TC depending upon the situations. I thought that I might shoot some environmental shots/camp shots but in the end didn't.

beano_z

I was anxious to try frame averaging on the IQ4150. I exposed an image for the lights and would normally expose 1 stop higher until there were no shadows blocked. I exposed the lights for 5 minutes of frame averaging and edited in C1. No layers just brought up the shadows, raised the exposure and dropped the highlights. Then corrected the aspect ration and cropped to suit. Incredible that there is very little noise even in extremely corrected portions of the file. It was 4am and I think there was a passer by or two but you’d never know it.

Looking at the finished file at full resolution I totally believe I could print and hang it in the gallery.

Great example Ed and thanks for sharing it, I’m pretty convinced that this is how frame averaging should be used.

Long exposure effects aside, I don’t think we were able to get this kind of dynamic range from a single photograph before! And surprisingly, it doesn’t look too artificial / HDR, dare I say very close to what the naked eye would perceive....

Looking forward to more samples from the community here!

GrahamWelland

Great example Ed and thanks for sharing it, I’m pretty convinced that this is how frame averaging should be used.

Long exposure effects aside, I don’t think we were able to get this kind of dynamic range from a single photograph before! And surprisingly, it doesn’t look too artificial / HDR, dare I say very close to what the naked eye would perceive....
It's absolutely stunning when you look closely at it. For static subjects it looks like a game changer. Ugh :facesmack:

D&A

Graham, the image of the hyenas and vultures is spectacular, especially that it's the kind of Safari image one often doesn't encounter. Both are probably predators/scavingers of the same pray and I (we) are left wondering how the standoff is resolved. The image portrays a powerful moment...a decisive moment.

Aside from this, your earlier posted images evokes memories (for me) of the taxidermy prepared animals in the museum of Natural history in NYC and the diarama's depicting life on the African plains. I almost for a second was convinced it was photographs of the museum displays as opposed to the real thing. Throughly enjoying your postings and of course your captures.

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.