The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham, the image of the hyenas and vultures is spectacular, especially that it's the kind of Safari image one often doesn't encounter. Both are probably predators/scavingers of the same pray and I (we) are left wondering how the standoff is resolved. The image portrays a powerful moment...a decisive moment.

Aside from this, your earlier posted images evokes memories of the taxidermy prepared animals in the museum of Natural history in NYC and the diarama's depicting life on the African planes. I almost for a second was convinced it was photographs of the museum displays as opposed to the real thing. Through enjoying your postings and of course your captures.

Dave (D&A)
No stuffed animals were harmed in these photo shoots :ROTFL:

If you liked the hyena/vulture stand off I can upload a couple of the lion / hyena / vulture standoffs too. The giraffe in the image died in a fight with a rival male and attracted the full gamut of predators & scavengers who all interacted with each other in an opportunist manner.

I held off posting more of the giraffe corpse shots as they get a bit gory. When I was there in 2017 we had an elephant carcass being fought over and devoured. Think in terms of a pride of lions INSIDE a dead elephant if you want a mental visual. Great images but I really don't know what I would do with them TBH.

etrump

Quite agree! Imagine a real edit and not a 5 minute laptop attempt at 1am.

It instantly became part of my routine to grab a 2-5 minute frame average along with my usual.

Great example Ed and thanks for sharing it, I’m pretty convinced that this is how frame averaging should be used. And surprisingly, it doesn’t look too artificial / HDR, dare I say very close to what the naked eye would perceive....

Looking forward to more samples from the community here!

GrahamWelland

A couple more from the cycle of life in Africa for Dave.

Hyena pushing her luck:

Hyenas ganging up to attempt taking over the kill (they didn't):

GrahamWelland

Graham, what were the light levels in this image? The detail hangs together really well.
Pretty low actually. I just checked the EXIF here in C1 and it's 250mm, 1/320s @ ISO3200 and f/4.5 but raised by 2 stops in post. Hence the ugly bokeh/noise in the background but ok where it's in focus I think. I can probably do something to make the colour better.

Shashin

Pretty low actually. I just checked the EXIF here in C1 and it's 250mm, 1/320s @ ISO3200 and f/4.5 but raised by 2 stops in post. Hence the ugly bokeh/noise in the background but ok where it's in focus I think. I can probably do something to make the colour better.
Don't go tryin' to hide your noise behind a great image. We are watching...

:ROTFL:

It is very impressive. The noise certainly was not the first thing I noticed.

vieri

Urro de Manzano sunset, in Spain

Urro de Manzano at sunset, in Cantabria. The amazing Pi-shape of that sea arch makes this one of my favourite locations in Atlantic Spain, and one that I am always happy to go back to. This is a 256 second exposure with my Hasselblad X1D, Hasselblad XCD 30mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

M

mjr

Morning

Got back from Iraq for a break a couple of days ago, takes a few days just to calm down a bit and realise you aren't there anymore! I really struggle to see landscapes for a while, need to force myself into looking in a more peaceful way.

Went out early to the river, Sweden at this time of year is 24hr daylight and at any normal hour, the light is harsh and flat and uninspiring to me, so rather than just take the same stuff I always take when I get home, I tried to look at the little waterfalls in a more abstract way, maybe the darkness of this reflects my mood a little! Anyway, just an experiment, but I like it. I like a square crop and losing the top too but posting this one.

dave.gt

Christmas in July!

Monday, I received a special order from Tom Erik Smedal, our fellow Medium Format photographer.:thumbup:

In the box that was placed next to my front door, was a tube, and inside the tube was a fantastic, beautiful print made by Tom using a Leica S 006 and S120 lens!!!

It is both an exquisitely made image, and a beautiful, detailed print that will be delivered to a local custom framer this week.:grin: The overall image has a "fairy-tale" feel to it, but also, the colors, and the mood fit our modest/tiny home decor. The image was posted here:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...4730-fun-mf-images-post788580.html#post788580

If anyone doubts that the S 006 is highly capable and desirable, well, may I present a different viewpoint. I am delighted that Tom worked hard to capture this image, and I am excited to finally get the chance to have it framed and hanging on our wall.

Thanks, Tom!:thumbs:

D&A

Don't go tryin' to hide your noise behind a great image. We are watching...

:ROTFL:

It is very impressive. The noise certainly was not the first thing I noticed.
Very much agree, an impressive image and one of my favorites so far from those posted. It contains in my opinion, many elements that make it extremely compelling.

Dave (D&A)

algrove

I took my 45/2.8 as the other lens. TBH I only used the 100-200 & 250 +/- TC depending upon the situations. I thought that I might shoot some environmental shots/camp shots but in the end didn't.
If you do not have 2 bodies, did you wish you had 2 bodies with you?

mristuccia

Morning

Got back from Iraq for a break a couple of days ago, takes a few days just to calm down a bit and realise you aren't there anymore! I really struggle to see landscapes for a while, need to force myself into looking in a more peaceful way.

Went out early to the river, Sweden at this time of year is 24hr daylight and at any normal hour, the light is harsh and flat and uninspiring to me, so rather than just take the same stuff I always take when I get home, I tried to look at the little waterfalls in a more abstract way, maybe the darkness of this reflects my mood a little! Anyway, just an experiment, but I like it. I like a square crop and losing the top too but posting this one.

That's a really interesting shot.
I see a lot of creatures coming out from the water: a bear, a wolf, a seahorse, and many others.
Could be the beginning of a project series... :rolleyes:

GrahamWelland

If you do not have 2 bodies, did you wish you had 2 bodies with you?
I need a spare body. Another camera body too :ROTFL:

Seriously though, I normally take 2 and did consider renting a spare one for the trip just in case plus to avoid changing lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.