The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchew

Thanks for the link. Very interesting site.

The problem with even the most thorough reviews (and his are), is that products change rapidly.He gave the Firecrest filters the lowest water shedding score. I just tested the newer Firecrest Ultra and the water ran off leaving NO drops or residue. This isn't a particular defense of Firecrest, just a warning that reviews measure a moment in time only.

Best,

Matt
Yeah I agree, although he did test the new Firecrest Ultra version. Someone asked about that in the comments and his response was, "Ooops - should have mentioned it. They are Ultras." Lee is a good example; it does look like Lee upgraded the color cast issue significantly. At least the GNDs based on Tim's results.

NDs were not the focus of this test but he does discuss that, at least in the usability part.

Dave

PS: Sorry, drifting off topic. Back to images...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yeah I agree, although he did test the new Firecrest Ultra version. Someone asked about that in the comments and his response was, "Ooops - should have mentioned it. They are Ultras." Lee is a good example; it does look like Lee upgraded the color cast issue significantly. At least the GNDs based on Tim's results.

NDs were not the focus of this test but he does discuss that, at least in the usability part.

Dave

PS: Sorry, drifting off topic. Back to images...
Apologies for continuing this in thread, but I repeated the water test on a grad filter and it did behave differently from the ND. The whole thing is very mysterious, and I bet it doesn't matter much as long as one gets used to one's system. Usability is very ... er ... use dependent. Ok. I'll shut up now!

Matt

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Filters Day 2: I remember reading about the dangers of polarizers and wide angle lenses (X1D with 21mm). Sure enough, most of the shots had bright and dark bands across the sky. Here is The Beresford, which I call Camelot, for the way it rises above the swamps of Central Park. In this case, the Turtle Pond below Belvedere Castle (not visible).

16 seconds at f/11, 10 stop ND, 3 stop GND, Polarizer -

Best,

Matt

etrump

I've always leaned to hand-held photography, even for architecture and landscape, mostly because I'm lazy and don't like to carry stuff. Lately, I've been tryin to overcome that and not only bring a tripod, but use (gasp) filters. My stated objection (the real one, remember, being laziness) was always "I want the picture to look like you're really standing there," and streaming clouds and fog-like oceans violated that principle.

So.. here is my first outing with a polarizer, 10 stop ND, and 3 stop grad. I meant to take the 21mm, but grabbed the 30mm by mistake.

The water WAS this shade of green, which drew me to take the photo. What I wasn't counting on was how much of the sky reflection the polarizer would suppress. (I took it both ways, and this is the more surreal).

Matt

(oh, and Vieri, it's a 100mm Firecrest Ultra kit. Easy to handle with a little practice.)
;)

mgrayson.jpg

etrump

Re: Storm over Playa Ballota, Asturias

These are incredible, more please!!!!

Stormy weather at Playa Ballota, in Asturias (Spain), one of my favourite locations along this incredible coast. An older image, 60 seconds of long exposure taken with Leica S (007), Leica Summarit-S 35mm f/2.5 and my Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

Status
Not open for further replies.