The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Love the depth, tones and mood in this one, Pramote. I presume that is WA as in Washington State (US) rather than Western Australia?!

The colour palette here is interesting as well...
Thank you very much Ed! Much appreciated!
Yes, the Olympic National Park is in Washington state. It's a very beautiful Park. My daughter goes to college in WA.
I wish to visit Australia/New Zealand one day. Today, I just learnt from my sister my only niece's got a grant for her PhD in New Zealand. My dream may come true!

Best

Pramote

Last edited:

tsjanik

I'm photographing some of the flowers in the yard that are now near their peak. I'm trying to capture the impression of seeing the garden by using limited DOF. 645Z with 400mm FA @ f/8. Comments appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

stevenfr

This image is a Five minute exposure from Southey Pt Salt Spring Island, BC Canada. This spot is only a couple minutes from our house. I shot this last weekend, while giving a photo lesson to my visiting nephew. A Great spot for sunset.

Camera Phase One XF IQ4 150 with the Schneider 80mm lens, Breakthrough Filters 10 stop ND.

Attachments

Last edited:

dchew

This image is a Five minute exposure from Southey Pt Salt Spring Island, BC Canada. This spot is only a couple minutes from our house. I shot this last weekend, while giving a photo lesson to my visiting nephew. A Great spot for sunset.

Camera Phase One XF IQ4 150 with the Schneider 80mm lens, Breakthrough Filters 10 stop ND.
There is something very special about capturing great images close to home.

Dave

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm not usually this insecure about posting but a) the last several pics in this thread have been awesomely good and b) I've gone back to photo kindergarten trying to use a tripod and filters when I've been using neither for most of the past two decades. That being said ...

Yes, it's another "reflection in a Central Park body of water". At least it's a different pond each time! 24 seconds, Canon 24 TS-E on X1D. Now that I look at it, while the verticals are vertical, I was not facing the buildings square on, I should have aimed at them and used an angled shift.

Matt

OK, this is more interesting. Three minutes, stacked 10 stop and 6 stop filters, definite light leaks, although I'm not sure that's what you're seeing in the B&W image. In color, it's a tonal shift all around the edge. (And NOT with the Firecrest filters. Though 16 stops in direct sunlight is a lot to ask from anyone.)

Last edited:

stevenfr

Thanks Dave. I saw the clouds setting up for a nice shot and headed to the point. I definitely need to shoot more local imagery.

There is something very special about capturing great images close to home.

Dave

Last edited:

vieri

I'm not usually this insecure about posting but a) the last several pics in this thread have been awesomely good and b) I've gone back to photo kindergarten trying to use a tripod and filters when I've been using neither for most of the past two decades. That being said ...

OK, this is more interesting. Three minutes, stacked 10 stop and 6 stop filters, definite light leaks, although I'm not sure that's what you're seeing in the B&W image. In color, it's a tonal shift all around the edge. (And NOT with the Firecrest filters. Though 16 stops in direct sunlight is a lot to ask from anyone.)

Hey Matt,

Great to see that you are enjoying playing with tripods & filters, my bread & butter photographically speaking! :D I like that second one, good idea and very well realised Matt! If I may add a small suggestion, perhaps I'd just eliminate those little branches popping up from the top in the middle of the image and close to the top right, since they seems to be coming out of nowhere and they sort of block the "flow" of the clouds - just my .02 of course, for what is worth. :)

Best regards,

Vieri

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hey Matt,

Great to see that you are enjoying playing with tripods & filters, my bread & butter photographically speaking! :D I like that second one, good idea and very well realised Matt! If I may add a small suggestion, perhaps I'd just eliminate those little branches popping up from the top in the middle of the image and close to the top right, since they seems to be coming out of nowhere and they sort of block the "flow" of the clouds - just my .02 of course, for what is worth. :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri,

Thank you for the suggestion. It does, indeed, improve the image. One of the hardest things for me to learn when I started taking photography seriously was to look at the picture's edges, not just the subject! These early lessons get forgotten when concentrating on a new mode.

(Quick retouch with PS content-aware fill. To get the clouds perfect would take more work. Then there's that one motion-blurred branch...)

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

vieri

Vieri,

Thank you for the suggestion. It does, indeed, improve the image. One of the hardest things for me to learn when I started taking photography seriously was to look at the picture's edges, not just the subject! These early lessons get forgotten when concentrating on a new mode.

(Quick retouch with PS content-aware fill. To get the clouds perfect would take more work. Then there's that one motion-blurred branch...)

Best,

Matt
Hello Matt,

I am glad you found my suggestion useful, I think it looks much better without the branch. I personally don't mind the wind-moving, motion-blurred branches, since they go pretty well with the moving-looking clouds generated by your long exposure :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Status
Not open for further replies.