The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj may

Working in the field can be action photography. As I was hiking, the mountains were obscured by the cloud mass rising from the valley. Periodically, the mountains became visible only to be obscured moments later by the next mass. I quickly removed camera and tripod from my backpack, set up and started shooting a panorama (9 shots) left to right. The cloud mass was also moving left to right. I managed to stay ahead of the cloud mass to complete the sequence. I attempted a second pass, however the left half of the scene was already obscured.
https://djessemay.com/new-images.html

Leica S, Summarit-S 70

P. Chong

Continuing on the flower theme...the rose...available light, hand held. Leica S Type 007 with Summarit-S 70mm f/2.5 ASPH.

rose.jpg

Greg Haag

Made a trip to Great Smoky Mountain NP overnight, just to watch the sun come up at Newfound Gap this morning.

IQ3 100, Cambo 1600, Rodenstock 32HR

Newfound Gap Sunrise.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have no idea how this happened. One minute, I'm sitting in my living room, and then *poof* a GFX 100 with 110/2 AND a cat. This is a tight crop at f/2.8, 1/45, ISO 3200, hand-held.

Confused,

Matt

Shashin

I have no idea how this happened. One minute, I'm sitting in my living room, and then *poof* a GFX 100 with 110/2 AND a cat.
Cats are like that. I might limit their internet access and cancel the credit card. You may get a large order of mice next...

jng

I have no idea how this happened. One minute, I'm sitting in my living room, and then *poof* a GFX 100 with 110/2 AND a cat. This is a tight crop at f/2.8, 1/45, ISO 3200, hand-held.

Confused,

Matt
And another hapless victim falls prey to Dante...

- John

P.S. Some people will use any excuse to post cat pics. :ROTFL:
P.P.S. Congrats on the new acquisition! Hope you enjoy every one of those 100 megapixels!

MGrayson

And another hapless victim falls prey to Dante...

- John

P.S. Some people will use any excuse to post cat pics. :ROTFL:
P.P.S. Congrats on the new acquisition! Hope you enjoy every one of those 100 megapixels!
Dante and I are old friends. :loco::facesmack:

Not that anyone will believe me, but it wasn’t the MP that attracted me. The camera balance is great, the optics good, almost no missed focus, and, after finding the Fuji profiles buried in LR, the color is great.

I still like the S lenses more, but the in-focus percentage is just not there.

Matt

PS. I am not trying to damn the optics with faint praise. They are sharp sharp sharp. My two criticisms are purple fringing wide open, at least with the 63mm. More strange is the bokeh of the 110/2. The OOF disks are round, but sharp edged. This causes strange artifacts. For instance, here's the incredibly helpful Ronald Herard at Fotocare (not my picture, but straight OOC):

Detail:

I looked around on the web, and it's rare enough that it's not a deal killer. And I don't shoot portraits. Except the cat (sorry).

Last edited:

Shashin

The OOF disks are round, but sharp edged. This causes strange artifacts. For instance, here's the incredibly helpful Ronald Herard at Fotocare (not my picture, but straight OOC):
My understanding is that is not because of the OOF disks per se, but caused by a type of parallax where the width of the aperture is not evenly obscured by an edge, creating odd OOF edge effects. That is not really a problem with a particular lens, but the angular size of the entrance pupil in relation to an edge. We normally do not see it because the angular size of most entrance pupils for optics are small and the dof not as extreme. If that makes sense. If you hold your finger close to your eye and look past the edge, you will see a semi-transparent edge that can have a hard outline.

MGrayson

My understanding is that is not because of the OOF disks per se, but caused by a type of parallax where the width of the aperture is not evenly obscured by an edge, creating odd OOF edge effects. That is not really a problem with a particular lens, but the angular size of the entrance pupil in relation to an edge. We normally do not see it because the angular size of most entrance pupils for optics are small and the dof not as extreme. If that makes sense. If you hold your finger close to your eye and look past the edge, you will see a semi-transparent edge that can have a hard outline.
Oddly enough, I understand what you're saying :ROTFL:. In fact, the more I think about it, the more sense your explanation makes. I've just never encountered it before - in either the S 100/2 or 120/2.5, both of which have pretty large physical apertures.

Matt

(I spent much of my childhood holding my fingers close to my eyes and examining the various interference patterns. Then wearing glasses in the rain at night, you see all sorts of of Fresnel fringes :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.