The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

Another from the cold, just so those of you in nice warm places can see how lucky you are! Or not, depending on your perspective.

P. Chong

Inside the Notre Dame Cathedral in Geneva. Phase One XF IQ4 150 with Schneider Kreuznach 120mm macro Blue Line. Shothand held at ISO 6400. f/3.5 1/20s. Requires a steady hand to hand hold this enormous camera and get sharp photographs. I am very impressed with the performance at ISO6400. Very clean file. Colours remain saturated and true, with high quality details. Only a small amount of noise, but totally usable. Cropped to remove distracting lighting at the sides. Keystone correction applied in C1.

notre-dame-gva.jpg

P. Chong

Apologies. Both lenses used in my recent Swiss photographs is the SK 45mm not 120 as stated. I must have been totally jet lagged and tired working with the 120 shooting watches.

Inside the Notre Dame Cathedral in Geneva. Phase One XF IQ4 150 with Schneider Kreuznach 120mm macro Blue Line. Shothand held at ISO 6400. f/3.5 1/20s. Requires a steady hand to hand hold this enormous camera and get sharp photographs. I am very impressed with the performance at ISO6400. Very clean file. Colours remain saturated and true, with high quality details. Only a small amount of noise, but totally usable. Cropped to remove distracting lighting at the sides. Keystone correction.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It's one thing to see a great picture and take it. There may be a lot of post, but the idea is there. Much more dangerous is to fall in love with one aspect of a scene and to try to turn it into a good picture. I love the water texture, but can't quite make the ducks complete the image. The previous version was ok, but rather symmetrical. This is a second attempt.

But the reality is, if you don't see a good picture, it probably isn't there.

The Silhouette, OTOH, was a picture I saw and wanted to take. My wife prefers this looser crop, with its three weird windows. I worry about the blank center-left. But it doesn't matter as much, because the picture was there already.

Well, musings that's all probably second nature to you all,

Matt

D

Deleted member 7792

The Silhouette, OTOH, was a picture I saw and wanted to take. My wife prefers this looser crop, with its three weird windows. I worry about the blank center-left. But it doesn't matter as much, because the picture was there already.

Well, musings that's all probably second nature to you all,

Matt
Matt, I like the looser crop too. The windows add definition to the wall, making it a wall and not just a neutral background. The [barred] windows also add a sense of mystery to the photo. Just my two cents.

Joe

MGrayson

Matt, I like the looser crop too. The windows add definition to the wall, making it a wall and not just a neutral background. The [barred] windows also add a sense of mystery to the photo. Just my two cents.

Joe
Thanks, Joe. I always appreciate, and learn from, the opinions of the people here.

Matt

M

mjr

I agree Matt, the looser crop works nicely, I may prefer the cropped version but only because the silhouette is off centre, to my eye it feels nicer there than in the centre of the wider crop, I do like the barred windows though.

Been out for a long walk this morning, lots of places where nobody goes, so fresh scenes of powdery snow with nothing more than the odd fox, reindeer or moose footprints to deal with. Lakes are frozen over now but not enough for me to risk walking out on them, soon though.

MGrayson

First, beautiful snowscape!

As for the silhouette - horribly, I can move it fairly easily in PS. The clone/fill abilities make short work of removing the figure and leaving a blank wall. I can then paste, move, resize, rotate. It's more than a bit upsetting. I really try not to do that. I once lowered a bird against a blank sky so it would be part of a square composition, and I don't mind cloning out distractions, but this kind of manipulation? <shudder>

I agree Matt, the looser crop works nicely, I may prefer the cropped version but only because the silhouette is off centre, to my eye it feels nicer there than in the centre of the wider crop, I do like the barred windows though.

Been out for a long walk this morning, lots of places where nobody goes, so fresh scenes of powdery snow with nothing more than the odd fox, reindeer or moose footprints to deal with. Lakes are frozen over now but not enough for me to risk walking out on them, soon though.

M

mjr

Don't do it Matt!! It's a slippery slope! For me, it's a square crop, lose the window on the left, keep the barred ones above and have the figure towards the left, same as your first crop but with more up top. I'm all for cropping, especially as you have all those lovely pixels, moving stuff though, hmmm.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.