The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Several views of Cedar Falls in Arkansas at Petit Jean State Park. I liked the color palette going on with the dirty water.
These are excellent Ed! I particularly like the second one :thumbs:

M

mjr

There are some beautiful Autumn shots being shown, colour has long gone here, I missed most of it being in Iraq so I'm stuck with winter.

Just a line of trees but I love the ordered chaos and the way the Pine and Birch trees hold the snow differently.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I was coming home from yet another medical scan, when I saw a telescope on the sidewalk aimed at the sun with a sign saying "Now playing, the Transit of Mercury". So I went home, stuck the 250/4 on the GFX100, put 16 stops of filter on the front, and took the following snap. Wish I had the 1.4x. Still... This is 100%. Clearly, stacked filters are not meant for straight-into-sun. The ghosting is palpable.

Oh, the little black dot is Mercury. Just three or four pixels wide.:bugeyes:

Oh what the heck. Put on the Canon 400/5.6, 1.4x, Techart adapter, and got this (twice the resolution, but harder to use. Notice that Mercury moved. It's going fast - like 105,000 MPH. :cool: Oh, changed around the filters, too. Less ghosting.

Matt

Last edited:

MGrayson

Matt, fascinating shot, at that speed how long did the pass took ?
Here is a composite of three photos. The times were 9:49, 10:18, and 10:31. So, in 42 minutes, Mercury made it 13.5% of the way across (measured in PS). So... 5 hours and 11 minutes.

Must not make joke about daylight color balance.... D'Oh!

D&A

Matt, at the tender age of 12, (while making mad dashes for the cross town buses), I was the youngest member of the advanced Astronomy course at The Hayden Planetarium in NYC....for all the good it did (I didn't have a clue what calculus was all about). One piece of info I retained is Mercury is a single planet but maybe you've proved all of us wrong. I see three dots across the suns surface so maybe I have to revise my impression of what we were taught.

In all seriousness, I'm inspired and impressed by what you captured! :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tsjanik

Here is a composite of three photos. The times were 9:49, 10:18, and 10:31. So, in 42 minutes, Mercury made it 13.5% of the way across (measured in PS). So... 5 hours and 11 minutes.
Great image Matt. Years ago (2012 I believe), I took a shot of the transit of Venus. I used a Pentax 67 500mm with a 2x and 1.4x along with every neutral density I could find.

_IGP8365 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

M

mjr

Those sun shots are cool!

Just more from alongside the river from me, need a new subject.

MGrayson

Great image Matt. Years ago (2012 I believe), I took a shot of the transit of Venus. I used a Pentax 67 500mm with a 2x and 1.4x along with every neutral density I could find.

_IGP8365 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Oh, that’s gorgeous!

Even at 560mm, it was hard to aim the thing at the sun. You'd need a finder scope with that combination!

Last edited:

dave.gt

An Omen.

Seasons change. Those of us who are observant, can see the future in those changes and enjoy the beauty in the imperfectness and impermanence of the world around us.

Leica S
Vario 30-90mm:

While Matt excels in other worlds (literally), I can only capture other-worldly trees...

Last edited:

dave.gt

Several views of Cedar Falls in Arkansas at Petit Jean State Park. I liked the color palette going on with the dirty water.
Ed,

Exquisite captures as usual! Wow...

I long for the day to shoot such locations. You are blessed with both talent and skill to capture gorgeous images like these. Thank you for all your hard work!:thumbs:

dave.gt

Sigh...

There are so many images to admire and comment on but so little time between writer's finger cramps from using an iPhone!

Regardless, I will endeavor to persevere!:)

P. Chong

Another one from Geneva. The Breitling boutique. Photographed with the Phase One XF IQ4 150 and Schneider Kreuznach 45mm (got that right this time), f/3.5 1/125s ISO 1600, hand held. Small keystone correction applied at C1.

breitling-gva.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.