The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shashin

Although I have several other lenses, I routinely fly with the following:
- 645Z body
- 28-45mm DA lens
- 25mm DA lens (sometimes omitted if I think the 28-45 will be enough)
- 55mm DFA lens
- 75mm f2.8AL (6x7) lens
- 90mm DFA lens
- 150mm FA lens
- 200mm f4 (6x7) lens
- 300mm f4EDIF (6x7) lens
Sometimes, I also bring the 120mm f4 A lens
That is one way to save on a gym membership! :bugeyes:

So what is it about 120mm that suddenly makes your bag too heavy? :ROTFL:

When you said you fly, I got the image of you in a leotard with an S on the front. But I guess you meant by plane. :toocool:

D&A

When you said you fly, I got the image of you in a leotard with an S on the front. But I guess you meant by plane. :toocool:
Will, my guess is that the 120mm simply puts things over the edge weight wise, so to speak. It's like that last slice of pizza that you realize you shouldn't have eaten. Yet I have to hand it to Ed, his images speak for themselves and the weight of his bag is worth every penny (or is it pence)? :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

jng

A rather special morning in San Francisco Bay - looking from Marin Headlands over the Golden Gate Bridge towards the city and the Bay Bridge.
Beautiful images, Ed! The last time I attempted to capture a low fog event from the Headlands I found myself arriving at Hawk Hill at some ungodly hour in fog so thick I could barely see the road. Apparently the fog was low but not low enough! :banghead: However I am hopeful that another good low fog opportunity will present itself again soon.

John

ndwgolf

AlanS

A rather special morning in San Francisco Bay - looking from Marin Headlands over the Golden Gate Bridge towards the city and the Bay Bridge.
Quite stunning Ed!
I am also impressed with your dedication in carrying all the gear on what I presume are buisness trips?

Ed Hurst

LOL and OMG, do you have any room for clothes? Well Ed, you clearly are not a source of information about a minimalist kit!
...and here I thought I needed a Sherpa to carry my kit. Solution: Just call Ed. :)
Very special indeed! Amazing shots. Thanks.
Yes, inquiry minds want to know and as Tom and K-H said (and I'm sure many others to come will say), "Spectacular" Ed.!

Dave (D&A)
A beautiful series Ed!

Will, my guess is that the 120mm simply puts things over the edge weight wise, so to speak. It's like that last slice of pizza that you realize you shouldn't have eaten. Yet I have to hand it to Ed, his images speak for themselves and the weight of his bag is worth every penny (or is it pence)? :)

Dave (D&A)
Beautiful images, Ed! The last time I attempted to capture a low fog event from the Headlands I found myself arriving at Hawk Hill at some ungodly hour in fog so thick I could barely see the road. Apparently the fog was low but not low enough! :banghead: However I am hopeful that another good low fog opportunity will present itself again soon.

John
Fantastic set Sir
Neil

Quite stunning Ed!
I am also impressed with your dedication in carrying all the gear on what I presume are buisness trips?

Thank you all for your most flattering feedback - so glad you all like the shots. It truly was a magnificent morning. Even the early start was helped by jetlag!!!

Yes, the shots you see taken on travel away from the UK are almost all business trips. You can call it dedication - I call it obsessive madness! But on mornings like this, it somehow seems worthwhile. It does require a lot of cheek to get it through as carry-on baggage. Don't know what I would do if challenged - I couldn't check it, as the bag is not padded much. I would be totally stuck.
My osteopath gets lots of business out of me too, as a result. As I get older, it's daft to carry so much.
Oh, and I do occasionally take clothes with me, yes. But no costumes, Shashin ;-)

The 120mm doesn't always make it merely because it's close to the 150mm (which is lighter) and it is the 'straw that broke the camel's back' (not to mention mine). But there have been times when I haven't taken it and I wish I had... I also have several other lenses that I never take on these trips but which do sit nicely in my home kitbag. So that's my pretence that I am being compromising.

The question about the 600mm - this is a lens I have never taken on a business trip with me. Its size and weight are a challenge. But the other thing is that it's only sharp when used with at least two points of support, so I would also need to bring another tripod or a monopod with me - and even I have to draw the line somewhere! That said, it would have been useful on this occasion. A few shots (including the greatest close-up you see here) were taken with the 6x7 400mm + 6x7 1.4x converter. In the end though, I am content to have left that one at home. (Who am I kidding? I want all of my equipment all of the time!).

Ed Hurst

Weardale
2 Horizontal images...
Alan - your shots have such a sense of place, a wonderful mood, a realistic-yet-stylised aesthetic... I can feel your love of a place I have visited a few times but only fleetingly. Congratulations!

Feels like they are forming cohesion as a body of work. An exhibition in Weardale perhaps?

AlanS

Hi Ed, I am quite taken aback with your kind words!
Interesting observation that you make and yes I really enjoy feeling connected to the places I find. I really don't think too much about where this is going, just enjoy the journey, but you may have planted a seed now, thanks.

M

mjr

Morning

I've not shot anything with a view of converting to black and white for ages so remedied that the other day. This scene seemed to work nicely.

P. Chong

Darkness descends on the Henderson Waves, a bridge over the highway which has become a picnic spot in the evenings. Fujifilm GFX50S with GF 32-64/f4 lens at 32mm, ISO6400, 1/5s handleld at f/4.5.

henderson-wave.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.