The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkenspyder

Stunning picture! I hope you don't mind the query, but is the halo around the building intentional?
Thanks Ed. And I don’t mind the question at all. That halo is actual cloud. Halo from post drives me nuts, but rather than try to remove it, I left it here because, while post brought it up a bit dramatically, I liked the look. In another image of the tower straight on, the streaks of clouds almost look like a fan radiating from the Egg’s base. From this image’s angle, the clouds had a near-vertical appearance, accentuated to some degree by the Nikon’ 19 perspective in portrait orientation.

drunkenspyder

Intriguing: what's this "Hoogte" ?

Brgds
It’s the Dutch word from which the Brits derived the word “height.” When I give titles to images, I usually like to go looking through the dictionary for the etymology of some word that is descriptive of the image. Given the Dutch roots of much of NY, it seemed to fit.

M

mjr

Afternoon

A break from the beautiful landscapes and a quick shot from a group of old cars standing outside a museum not far from here, presumably not good enough to be inside, they are slowly returning to nature. Just seemed better as a study of the tones and textures in black and white.

Ed Hurst

Thanks Ed. And I don’t mind the question at all. That halo is actual cloud. Halo from post drives me nuts, but rather than try to remove it, I left it here because, while post brought it up a bit dramatically, I liked the look. In another image of the tower straight on, the streaks of clouds almost look like a fan radiating from the Egg’s base. From this image’s angle, the clouds had a near-vertical appearance, accentuated to some degree by the Nikon’ 19 perspective in portrait orientation.
Thanks for the explanation - makes sense. And it's truly a lovely, striking and impressive picture...

P. Chong

Dubai at dusk. Photographed from the 30th floor at Waldorf Astoria Dubai. The imposing structure on the right of the frame is the Burj Kalifa, rising up some 900m in the air, and currently the world's tallest building/structure. Photographed with the Fujifilm GFX50S with GF32-64. Hand held.

dubai-dusk-portrait.jpg

M

mjr

Actually I think it's much older Thorkil, I believe a 92, 92B or a 93, I'm not an expert on old Saab's but it's a very early, suicide door model, definitely not the 96. There's a row of 4 of them just rotting, sad actually.

Mat

Thorkil

Actually I think it's much older Thorkil, I believe a 92, 92B or a 93, I'm not an expert on old Saab's but it's a very early, suicide door model, definitely not the 96. There's a row of 4 of them just rotting, sad actually.

Mat
:D..ok, then its one of these awfull smoking twostroke 3-cylinders, I guess..My father and his new wife drove me around in Norway while I was teenager, first in the twostroke-one, and later the advanced V4, I guess around 40-46 horsepower or so (quite wild..!), a Ford Taunus engine as far as I remember.
He later advanced and got the 900 with 130hk, sheer abundance. Every time it had been out in the rain, he turned on a electrical heating underneath, in the garage, until it was completely dry. So the rust had no chance at all, by him..

Ed Hurst

The tower of the General Post Office (GPO) in Martin Place, Sydney, Australia. Seen by twilight from an adjacent building, providing a somewhat unusual perspective.

The GPO has an interesting history. Construction started in 1866, but wasn't completed until 1891. Despite some controversies associated with its design, it has long been hailed as a triumph of architecture and culture in Australia. It served as the headquarters of the Australian Post Office until 1996. Sydneysiders have long been proud of the building, which towered over the surrounding area (and indeed was visible for many miles around) until the city became high-rise in the last half century, robbing it of its prominence.

Because of its visibility and recognisability, the tower you see in this picture was carefully disassembled in 1942 lest it provide assistance to enemy air attacks and wasn't rebuilt until after the war.

The building these days is a blend of history and modernity, with the façade preserved but the interior significantly redeveloped to provide a hotel, cafés and the like.

Pentax 645Z with 90mm f2.8 DFA lens.

[/url]IMGP1584_Step4sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.