The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shashin

I like it much. But I love urban photography. What is for you the experiment? That it is B&W or the POV? I like the point of view very much, the buildings straight up, nicely layered with a lot happening with the diagonals on the ground and a nice sky.
It does, especially the sky, make me a bit curious how it would look in color.
Michiel, thank you. I was trying for a night image, but shooting while there is some light in the sky to give detail in the shadows.

It is more complicated in color. Because this is dusk, the sky in the unprocessed image is quite bright, which is why I can get so much detail in the "shadows" of the buildings. Monochrome hides some of the processing that is going on. Blue skylight is very dominant. It became really hard to push the contrast and keep the color natural--it either oversaturates or undersaturates. Even in B&W, the transition from the buildings to the sky looks unnatural to me. And while it has plenty of detail in the shadows, it is a bit flat and funny looking--it isn't night or dusk. And the more I look at this image, the stranger it feels. I actually took this a number of month ago and could not quite gel with it. It just kind of worked with the images I posted this week on my blog.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Michiel, thank you. I was trying for a night image, but shooting while there is some light in the sky to give detail in the shadows.

It is more complicated in color. Because this is dusk, the sky in the unprocessed image is quite bright, which is why I can get so much detail in the "shadows" of the buildings. Monochrome hides some of the processing that is going on. Blue skylight is very dominant. It became really hard to push the contrast and keep the color natural--it either oversaturates or undersaturates. Even in B&W, the transition from the buildings to the sky looks unnatural to me. And while it has plenty of detail in the shadows, it is a bit flat and funny looking--it isn't night or dusk. And the more I look at this image, the stranger it feels. I actually took this a number of month ago and could not quite gel with it. It just kind of worked with the images I posted this week on my blog.
I quite like the multiple slightly unreal juxtapositions in this image.

M

D&A

Will, in my opinion, a wonderful urban image that works and the sky falls in naturally. Remember, you were there and so what the photographer often sees is not what the viewer of the image sees. nicely done.

Dave (D&A)

Michiel Schierbeek

In deed I recognize the sky problem in twilight especially in combination with certain yellow streetlights ( forgot the name of the type a lighting, natrium? ). With this image, I think I posted it before, I had to select the sky and try to make it look like
what it was like when I saw it. Still not very sathisfying. It is very hard to do. When you start to apply this kind of tricks the picture is sort of bound to look unnatural. So I understand your choice for black and white.

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Been tied to the office for a while, so I decided to get out early yesterday morning behind the office and at least shoot something. I hope everyone is well during this very unusual time.

Cambo WRS-1600, 4 150, 32HR 2 minute frame averaging

Hb Office 2.jpg

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
ApacheJunction_1231bw1500.jpg

X1Dii | 80/1.9

It's been awhile ... glad to see many of the same people are still around. Anyway, I've been playing around with an X1Dii for the past several weeks.

buggz

Thanks, been try to use this system exclusively, but the weather has not cooperated.
I am liking it a lot.

I'm so pleased to see pictures out of that back. I was looking through old images and posted one here last week, the tonal rendition is something special.

Great pic!

hcubell

A four image panorama of a hill farm near the NY/Vermont border. X1D with the XCD 35mm-75mm zoom at 50mm. Winter has ended prematurely here.

Job_0257-Pano-JPEG.jpg

buggz

Got the macro tube #1 today for my RZ67.
Mamiya RZ67 Pro II - Mamiya DM33 - 110/2.8 - macro tube #1 - ISO 50 - 4sec.
Dreary window light, rain again, all day...

L_001336-resized.jpg

Last edited:

gurtch

Well, at age 83, I guess I am "the elderly", and we are being advised to stay home. The attached image from a GFX 50R was made from our deck overlooking the bay. We are on a barrier island in southern NJ. Since I have time on my hands, I combined two images made from our deck, the foreground with a 100-200 mm lens at 200mm f11 ISO 400, and sky with a 32-64mm lens at 64mm f8.
If the weather cooperates I will get out and walk the beach for images (rather deserted this time of year). Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
D802 framed.jpg

Greg Haag

Well, at age 83, I guess I am "the elderly", and we are being advised to stay home. The attached image from a GFX 50R was made from our deck overlooking the bay. We are on a barrier island in southern NJ. Since I have time on my hands, I combined two images made from our deck, the foreground with a 100-200 mm lens at 200mm f11 ISO 400, and sky with a 32-64mm lens at 64mm f8.
If the weather cooperates I will get out and walk the beach for images (rather deserted this time of year). Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ

Bill, great job combining the 2 images, I would have never known. I hope you stay safe!!

Status
Not open for further replies.