The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsjanik

This is a "Fun with MF' post. Winter Sunrise is one of my favorite Ansel Adams' images. In fall 2018, I stopped at what must be almost the spot Adams set up his camera. My scene did not have a horse (or the dramatic light); however, I moved a horse from a few miles down the road into the scene. I did leave the LP on the left foreground hills, something Adams reportedly went to great pains to remove. I hope you are all well and have time to go through your archives.

Tom

Attachments

D&A

Tom Wrote >>>"however, I moved a horse from a few miles down the road into the scene"<<<

Tom, how did you move the horse?

a) kindly asked him to mosey on down the road a few miles and promised him a bale of hay?

b) told him you'd give him a gentle swift kick in the you know what, if he doesn't get moving?

c) promised him a staring role in the next great western film if he followed you?

d)...or simply jumped on his back and road bareback till you found the spot you needed him to pose?

Since there was no "cut and paste" electronically in Ansel Adam's day, maybe he too used one of the options I listed, to get the horse into his scene. One never knows. :)

Tom, after you wrote the line that way, all I can think about is your moving that horse down the road with camera gear and all else in tow. :ROTFL:

Other than that, a truly lovely image!

Dave (D&A)

Greg Haag

Strolling around the yard today enjoying the early signs of springs. I hope everyone is doing ok!

Leica S007 w Leica APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm
Aerials-.jpg

jng

Camellia

H03_21_2020_0014-FrameShop.jpg

X1D | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/5.6

I'm working on achieving a more subtle effect, megapixels be damned - single shot, clarity slider @ zero, lighter touch on the S-curves. For better or worse, I expect to have more time to experiment while under lock down.

John

gurtch

Camellia

View attachment 148034

I'm working on achieving a more subtle effect, megapixels be damned - single shot, clarity slider @ zero, lighter touch on the S-curves. For better or worse, I expect to have more time to experiment while under lock down.

John
However you did it, it is lovely.
We are in our 80s, and are heavily advised to keep "social distance", so my wife and I spent the day at deserted spots here ( we live on a summer resort barrier island). I spent the day photographing in peaceful solitude. The bad news is our favorite watering holes are closed, so no "happy hour" with our retired friends. I too, got back to basics shooting images different than what I have been doing. Stay well.
Dave in NJ.
Www.modernpictorials.com

dave.gt

Camellia

View attachment 148034

John
John,

Life is sweeter on the simpler side of life!:)

Personally, I cannot find much fun in chasing perfection, as in, well, you know what I mean. Art does not require perfection and the more I work towards the "perfect" image, the more I feel separated from the joy of art.

Impressionist art has always been my favorite ever since I took my first art course in university, many years ago. :thumbup:

jng

However you did it, it is lovely.
We are in our 80s, and are heavily advised to keep "social distance", so my wife and I spent the day at deserted spots here ( we live on a summer resort barrier island). I spent the day photographing in peaceful solitude. The bad news is our favorite watering holes are closed, so no "happy hour" with our retired friends. I too, got back to basics shooting images different than what I have been doing. Stay well.
Dave in NJ.
MODERN PICTORIALS
Thanks for your kind words, Dave. We're just getting through our first week of isolation here in the SF Bay area. Instead of chasing big sunsets I'll return to a project I started last year on floral portraits and see how it goes. Plus some cat pics. Gotta have cat pics to relieve the stress. Social distancing is important not only to stay healthy yourself but to tamp down the rate of infection. Last night I shared drinks virtually (using Zoom) with two good friends with whom I often go out for a quick drink at the end of the day. We were together, just not all in the same room. But it was comforting to just banter as we usually do about work, family or nothing at all; claiming some semblance of normalcy out of the chaos felt good. Plus no one got in trouble for getting home late! Other friends of ours congregated on their street for happy hour, with plenty more than 6 feet between families. Creativity and the human spirit will get us through this. Be well.

John

jng

John,

Life is sweeter on the simpler side of life!:)

Personally, I cannot find much fun in chasing perfection, as in, well, you know what I mean. Art does not require perfection and the more I work towards the "perfect" image, the more I feel separated from the joy of art.

Impressionist art has always been my favorite ever since I took my first art course in university, many years ago. :thumbup:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your thoughts. I fully agree! While my technique is far from perfect, I was recently motivated by a few other photographers' work to focus more on composition so I'd hopefully have something more interesting to show for the effort.

Hope you're managing OK during these turbulent times.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.