The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7792

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the late reply but I missed this post earlier. I also have an old Hassy 503CW and since it does not have a built-in shutter lock (or does it and i'm out to lunch?) I wondered how you executed this shot with the CFV II. Did you attach a short locking cable release and put it in B mode to shoot with electronic shutter on the back or did you use the camera shutter and attach a flash sync cable? Still contemplating getting back into MF again and the CFV II ticked a few boxes (could use with the 503 and V lenses or with my Cambo Actus and many other lenses that I have or invest in new X lenses and the 907x), but also could be a very slippery slope into a Dante snake pit. :eek:

Thanks,
Carl
Carl, I apologize. I just saw your question. I don't exactly remember how I accomplished the shot and it took me about 30 minutes when I first attached the MFDB to the 503CW to figure it out. I didn't use a flash sync cable. I opened the lens and used electronic shutter. As long as you account for the limitations of using electronic shutter, you're golden. Welcome to Dante's inferno. :salute:

Joe

jng

Crocosmia

2020-07-12 14-58-45 (C,Smoothing2)_sq_20x20-FrameShop.jpg

WRS1250 | IQ3100 | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/5.6 | 15-image focus stack

Our garden is currently a riot of colors. The brilliant orange flowers and interesting shape of these plants caught my eye as I was walking around outside the house over the weekend. Another installment in what's turned into my Pandemic Floral Portraits series...

John

D&A

Hi. I have a quick question for this forum. Normally I only post one, maybe two images in a single posting. This July 4th in the Nations Capitol (Wash. D.C.), I captured a number of images (all medium format digital) of the National fireworks and also the military aerial show pre festivities. I have approx 10 images to post and wondered if I should post here or start a separate thread. In the past for these July 4th firework images, I posted 2-3 in this forum (Fun with MF images). I'll await and abide on whatever most suggest.

Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

nameBrandon

Crocosmia

View attachment 150463

Our garden is currently a riot of colors. The brilliant orange flowers and interesting shape of these plants caught my eye as I was walking around outside the house over the weekend. Another installment in what's turned into my Pandemic Floral Portraits series...

John
What program are you using to focus stack? There must be more skill to it than just loading some images in the program, because I'm not getting results I'm in love with. I haven't tried anything besides helicon though. You're not doing this manually with layers / masks in PS are you?

jng

Hi Brandon,

I've been using Helicon to do my stacking. It's probably worth experimenting with their different methods (A, B or C). I'm not exactly sure what goes on under the hood but rather just stick with what's been working for these kinds of subjects, which in this case is method C. Trickier subjects sometimes require a bit of retouching in Helicon. The increment in focus steps is generally a few degrees rotation of the focusing helical or a few rotations of the macro rail screw - all very scientific (not!). The closer in I am to the subject, the finer the step. I recently started shooting wide open to minimize the effects of diffraction. Hope this helps.

John

Shashin

Hi. I have a quick question for this forum. Normally I only post one, maybe two images in a single posting. This July 4th in the Nations Capitol (Wash. D.C.), I captured a number of images (all medium format digital) of the National fireworks and also the military aerial show pre festivities. I have approx 10 images to post and wondered if I should post here or start a separate thread. In the past for these holiday images, I posted 2-3 in this forum. I'll await and abide on whatever most suggest.

Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
Personally Dave, I am very happy for you to post them here and add your fine work to this wonderful collection. Whether you post them in groups or singularly is your call. A few member post in multiples. Looking forward to seeing your work.

tsjanik

Hi. I have a quick question for this forum. Normally I only post one, maybe two images in a single posting. This July 4th in the Nations Capitol (Wash. D.C.), I captured a number of images (all medium format digital) of the National fireworks and also the military aerial show pre festivities. I have approx 10 images to post and wondered if I should post here or start a separate thread. In the past for these July 4th firework images, I posted 2-3 in this forum (Fun with MF images). I'll await and abide on whatever most suggest.

Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
My suggestion is to post them all.

tsjanik

Crocosmia

View attachment 150463

John
Very nice. A lovely flower. I have some I inherited from my mother; the species is clearly the same as yours, but the habit is slightly different

B L

Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
Looking forward to see them. Post them all or split into 5 per thread.
I think admins should consider a new topic thread titled something like "Special Occasions", to showcase fireworks,London Marathon,New Year celebs,classic car shows ....and the list goes on.

D&A

I appreciate all the responses with regards to my posting a large number of images in a single post, taken on July 4th Independence Day 2020 (except for one additional image).

Background: Normally little has to be said of Independence Day celebrations, especially in our Nation's Capital except this year things were quite different due to the precautions of the ongoing Covid Virus pandemic. Although the number of Covid infections in this greater metropolitan region has somewhat leveled off and has been in a relative steady state for approx a month, we see that this can quickly change, especially when large gatherings take place. With this in mind, there appeared to be two competitive forces at work this day. Without getting into politics, on one hand, the display planned by the federal gov't for the general public included a sizeable military aerial show (which rarely if ever performed on July 4th) followed by a far larger and expanded fireworks show. On the other hand, the local D.C. gov't discouraged having these celebrations this year due to health concerns and knowing of the tremendous size gatherings in previous years numbering into the millions. Many in the general public were conflicted in not knowing what to expect or if they should go.

I decided to cycle approx. 25 miles to a somewhat remote location with a heavy fully loaded photo backpack/tripod, just to be safe. As it turns out (and it was too late once I found out in order to relocate)...most of the previous years very heavily populated areas (wall to wall people) were apparently sparsely attended or at most having a modicum number of individuals. As a consequence, photographic angles and opportunities were limited. Interestingly, those on varying sized boats on the Potomac River in front of the Nat'l monuments, was the most densely populated environs on the waterways for July 4th I've ever seen and appeared to be quite different with regards to social distancing.

I may be posting too many repetitive or mundane images (some without reference to geographic location), and for that my sincere appologies in advance. It's simply posted to provide a bit of flavor to the end of day aerial display and rising full moon just prior and during the fireworks display.

All images taken with the Pentax 645Z (except the 2nd posted image...the Washington Monument with Blue Angels fly-by, which was taken with the Nikon Df).

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

Last edited:

dave.gt

I appreciate all the responses with regards to my posting a large number of images in a single post, taken on July 4th Independence Day 2020 (except for one additional image).

Background: Normally little has to be said of Independence Day celebrations, especially in our Nation's Capital except this year things were quite different due to the precautions of the ongoing Covid Virus pandemic. Although the number of Covid infections in this greater metropolitan region has somewhat leveled off and has been in a relative steady state for approx a month, we see that this can quickly change, especially when large gatherings take place. With this in mind, there appeared to be two competitive forces at work this day. Without getting into politics, on one hand, the display planned by the federal gov't for the general public included a sizeable military aerial show (which rarely if ever performed on July 4th) followed by a far larger and expanded fireworks show. On the other hand, the local D.C. gov't discouraged having these celebrations this year due to health concerns and knowing of the tremendous size gatherings in previous years numbering into the millions. Many in the general public were conflicted in not knowing what to expect or if they should go.

I decided to cycle approx. 25 miles to a somewhat remote location with a heavy fully loaded photo backpack/tripod, just to be safe. As it turns out (and it was too late once I found out in order to relocate)...most of the previous years very heavily populated areas (wall to wall people) were apparently sparsely attended or at most having a modicum number of individuals. As a consequence, photographic angles and opportunities were limited. Interestingly, those on varying sized boats on the Potomac River in front of the Nat'l monuments, was the most densely populated environs on the waterways for July 4th I've ever seen and appeared to be quite different with regards to social distancing.

I may be posting too many repetitive or mundane images (some without reference to geographic location), and for that my sincere appologies in advance. It's simply posted to provide a bit of flavor to the end of day aerial display and rising full moon just prior and during the fireworks display.

All images taken with the Pentax 645Z (except the 2nd posted image...the Washington Monument with Blue Angels fly-by, which was taken with the Nikon Df).

Dave (D&A)
Beautiful work, Dave! And cycling to a remote spot!:)

I have mixed feelings these days so I don't really give a crap about holidays, politics, etc... or whatever else . Life is so screwed up lately everywhere you look. However, your commitment and follow-through with gorgeous images of an important event in normal times is amazing.:thumbs:

I am hopeful that we, as photographers can take your lead and make s difference in these times. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your story and your images with us!!!:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.