The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsjanik

Tom, this is beautiful. It is kind of quaint that pre-modern civilizations thought comets were harbingers of misfortune like plagues...

:toocool:
Thanks Will. Stay safe. I wake up in the morning thinking I had watched a frightening movie the night before, when, in fact, it was the news.

Tom

nameBrandon

Re: More images of Sydney's big swell yesterday

What an amazing subject (and photographs). Had to look that up to figure out exactly what it was.. that is really cool. Looks like the 55 DFA is working well :)

Ed Hurst

Ed that is so very very kind of you to say and I'm especially appreciative and humbled that it's coming from you. Of course you have nothing to be jealous of as I and everyone here is in awe of the work you have graciously posted over the years and continue to do so. There is also a lot to learn from those imaginative captures. Thanks ever so much.

Dave (D&A)
Dave - I haven't replied to this for a day or so because I couldn't think of anything to say that was worthy of such an amazing, humble, generous-spirited, humane message. All I can say is that I am genuinely touched. Thank you :). The world would be a better place with more Daves in it.

Ed Hurst

What an amazing subject (and photographs). Had to look that up to figure out exactly what it was.. that is really cool. Looks like the 55 DFA is working well :)
Hi Brandon,

Thanks! Yes, the story of Sydney's ocean pools is an amazing one. They stand as monuments to our history and a very current expression of the country's obsession with exercise and the ocean. At various times, there have been attempts made to get rid of them, or to stop paying for maintenance - but they're such a beloved and important part of the country's way of life that anyone taking such a course is taking their political life in their hands.

The pool at Mona Vale - in Sydney's Northern Beaches - was originally built in the 1930s by unemployed men. Thinking about what that must have meant at the time is very moving - perhaps redolent of the current Covid situation, with many people jobless and full of uncertainty. The pool's exposed position has led it to need rebuilding more than once since, but there it still stands, on the edge of the Pacific - often full of people of all ages, even at 4am, often during wild weather. It certainly provides a bracing swim!

Thanks for drawing attention to the subject matter. It's easy for me to forget how they are not readily recognised outside of Oz.

I really feel, when I see these pools in stormy weather, that something about Australia's relationship with the elements is being expressed in a bold and beautiful way. My pictures are inspired by this, but really don't come close to doing it justice :)

nameBrandon

Hi Brandon,

Thanks! Yes, the story of Sydney's ocean pools is an amazing one. They stand as monuments to our history and a very current expression of the country's obsession with exercise and the ocean. At various times, there have been attempts made to get rid of them, or to stop paying for maintenance - but they're such a beloved and important part of the country's way of life that anyone taking such a course is taking their political life in their hands.

The pool at Mona Vale - in Sydney's Northern Beaches - was originally built in the 1930s by unemployed men. Thinking about what that must have meant at the time is very moving - perhaps redolent of the current Covid situation, with many people jobless and full of uncertainty. The pool's exposed position has led it to need rebuilding more than once since, but there it still stands, on the edge of the Pacific - often full of people of all ages, even at 4am, often during wild weather. It certainly provides a bracing swim!

Thanks for drawing attention to the subject matter. It's easy for me to forget how they are not readily recognised outside of Oz.

I really feel, when I see these pools in stormy weather, that something about Australia's relationship with the elements is being expressed in a bold and beautiful way. My pictures are inspired by this, but really don't come close to doing it justice :)
I can definitely understand the connection with these pools! There's something beautiful about the balance and harmony at the precipice of these two distinct worlds... All the while, under the surface of the seemingly symbiotic relationship is the constant struggle against entropy and erosion. You truly can visualize the ebb and flow of creation and destruction. I think your photos capture this very well.

I think I need to come way down there and see these pools for myself, once the current unpleasantness is behind us.

Thank you for sharing the images!

D&A

Nicely said Brandon. There is something both mysterious and beguiling about both the ocean pools and the way Ed captured them. Something to put on ones bucket list and experience them first hand.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Thanks, chaps. With this talk of Sydney's ocean pools, thought it might be a good moment to post some older shots of them.

(Hope this isn't too many shots to post at once - apologies if it is...)

North Narrabeen pool
[/url]IMGP7464Step7sRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]StarTrailsFromFiles_IMG1348-1855Step11CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]_IMG0696Step8sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]_IGP9816Step8CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]_IGP6587Step8sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]_IGP5406Step11Crop2SMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]PanoFromFiles_IMG0976-83Step13PersInACR_NRinACRSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Collaroy pool
[/url]IMGP5255Step6FlatSpotSSsRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]IMGP5259Step4FlatSSsRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

North Curl Curl pool
[/url]IMGP6276Step7sRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]PanoFromFilesIMGP7211-22(AllFiles)Step12SpotSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

South Curl Curl pool

[/url]_IMG1863Step4SMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mona Vale pool again
[/url]IMGP6140Step6sRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]Mona Vale ocean pool by night by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Dee Why pool
[/url]IMGP6166Step8SSsRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]_EWR9032_Step5sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]IMGP6255Step5SSsRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Bronte pool
[/url]_MAL2753_Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]_MAL2762Step5SpotSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fairy Bower pool
[/url]_IGP9514Step6sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

pegelli

Fantastic series of the ocean pools Ed, they're all special and very well done. So thanks for sharing these and the stories behind them.

Craig Stocks

Thanks Craig. Very ingenious; did you devise this technique? In hindsight, It would have been easier if I had used my K-1 with astrotracer. :banghead:

Tom
Thanks. Yes, as far as I can remember it’s my own approach though nothing is really new.

I should have mentioned innthe video that you may need to use the Free Transform tool rather than the Move tool if the star trails have an element of rotation in their motion. The Free Transfor tool lets you “un-rotate” the stars.

D

Deleted member 7792

Thanks, chaps. With this talk of Sydney's ocean pools, thought it might be a good moment to post some older shots of them.

North Curl Curl pool
Wow!! Ed, I'm terrified, amazed, awestruck, and inspired all at once!! I'm not a swimmer, so I'm admiring these pools from a safe distance (9,569 miles). Thanks for sharing the set, and please, please continue to photograph and share your wonderful home base.

Joe

tsjanik

Great series Ed. Have you considered a book? I had Magcloud print a book of my Lake Erie images and it was great fun to assemble and rewarding to see in book form.

Tom

Shashin

Water seems a bit high.
Or the land a bit low?

This is a park on one of the artificial islands where the Sumida River flows into Tokyo bay. They created a type of paddling pool where water can flow into it during high tides. Not sure the water in either the river or the bay is that clean, but there you go. I think the fence is more to do with safety if someone does enter it they can't be washed away (but whatever is growing on the rocks is slimy and I don't think that adds to the temptation either). The depth and velocity of the water on the other side of the fence is great.

But there is a much higher embankment behind me. This is one of the few places you can get close to water level in Tokyo and it is kind of interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.