The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

On the trail of the night sky

Monday night was clear in Sydney, so I set out to shoot star trails. I did have in mind doing three shots in different locations, but decided to stop at two - at work in the morning and my boys' first day back at school following the holidays, so even I occasionally decide to be (vaguely) sensible.

Sydney Harbour Bridge from Observatory Hill
Pentax 645Z with 6x7 75mm f2.8AL
[/url]StarTrailsFromFiles_IMG5043-7892Step5CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Waverley Cemetery
645Z with 25mm f4 DA
[/url]StarTrailsFromFiles_IMG7911-8078(DarkFrameFromFile8084)Step8FlatsRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

mristuccia

My profane attempt at catching the NEOWISE comet, together with other casual moving objects... :)
Star trails adjusted using the Craig Stocks' technique (thank you!).

Thanks for looking.

20200720_MARCO_RISTUCCIA_Neowise_04_Framed_Metadata.jpg

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

This isn't great art, merely an experiment to see if Frame Averaging in the XF is useful in astrophotography. It isn't! The trouble is that with FA, a one second exposure takes three seconds in total, so stars are no longer circular. I tried various combinations of ISO, F-stop and speed but to no avail. Of course, it would be a different story if I had used a tracker. (Which I have but it wouldn't take the weight of the XF).

The shots I did take with FA were beautifully noise-free but with oval stars!

I was better off just taking a single shot and working on the noise in C1 This was 1.3 seconds at F5.6 and ISO 25,600 using the 240mm lens. I used F5.6 because I couldn't be sure of exact focus - the comet was barely visible with the naked eye. I aligned the camera by taking shots with the 80mm lens and checking the results until I got a shot with the comet in the middle - then changed lenses.

Craig Stocks

This isn't great art, merely an experiment to see if Frame Averaging in the XF is useful in astrophotography. It isn't! The trouble is that with FA, a one second exposure takes three seconds in total, so stars are no longer circular. I tried various combinations of ISO, F-stop and speed but to no avail. Of course, it would be a different story if I had used a tracker. (Which I have but it wouldn't take the weight of the XF).

The shots I did take with FA were beautifully noise-free but with oval stars!

I was better off just taking a single shot and working on the noise in C1 This was 1.3 seconds at F5.6 and ISO 25,600 using the 240mm lens. I used F5.6 because I couldn't be sure of exact focus - the comet was barely visible with the naked eye. I aligned the camera by taking shots with the 80mm lens and checking the results until I got a shot with the comet in the middle - then changed lenses.

I usually do my frame averaging in Photoshop. Load the images into layers and try Auto Align. Usually you’ll need to manually tweak the alignment using Lighten or Difference blending mode. Then convert the layer stack to a smart object and choose Layer / Smart Objects / Stack Mode / Mean to average them. Noise is reduced so you can stretch the image more successfully to bring out faint details. If you have enough memory you can do it in 16 bit mode and get even better results.

vieri

Kirkjufjara, Iceland, in black & white

Iceland's landscapes are very graphic & monochromatic in nature, with their black rocks & black sands covered by white snow & blue ice, and I love to portray them in B&W when the occasion arise. 51 seconds of exposure with my Hasselblad X1D II, Hasselblad XCD 45mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

Thorkil

the 45P needed some fresh air

Hasselblad X1D with 45P iso100 1/180 f4 through C120Pro

Thorkil

nameBrandon

Re: Kirkjufjara, Iceland, in black & white

Iceland's landscapes are very graphic & monochromatic in nature, with their black rocks & black sands covered by white snow & blue ice, and I love to portray them in B&W when the occasion arise. 51 seconds of exposure with my Hasselblad X1D II, Hasselblad XCD 45mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Was that stitched, or did you crop that? Great shot, either way.

I remember trying to get a similar long exposure at Dyrhólaey, the wind was so bad my tripod couldn't handle it. Of course that was years ago when all I had was a tiny MeFoto, but it was still some brutal wind!

B L

I usually do my frame averaging in Photoshop. Load the images into layers and try Auto Align. Usually you’ll need to manually tweak the alignment using Lighten or Difference blending mode. Then convert the layer stack to a smart object and choose Layer / Smart Objects / Stack Mode / Mean to average them. Noise is reduced so you can stretch the image more successfully to bring out faint details. If you have enough memory you can do it in 16 bit mode and get even better results.
Thank you for the tip.Any chance of making a video? Thanks again.

vieri

Re: Kirkjufjara, Iceland, in black & white

Was that stitched, or did you crop that? Great shot, either way.

I remember trying to get a similar long exposure at Dyrhólaey, the wind was so bad my tripod couldn't handle it. Of course that was years ago when all I had was a tiny MeFoto, but it was still some brutal wind!
Hey Brandon,

thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it :) This is a single shot, cropped 2:1 on full-width (no crop other than top/bottom). Yes, the wind at Dyrholaey can be brutal, and if you go in winter you better be "dressed for the occasion" too, besides having a sturdy tripod, because the wind can make it very difficult to stand the cold there!

Best regards,

Vieri

Satrycon

GFX50R + GF63 4shot stitch, no Color adjustments, the full size is around 35,000 pixels wide, handheld no tripod

Sunset Moment that lasted less than 10 minutes, after 40 hours of rain

_GFX0603.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.