The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsjanik

I had hoped for a beautiful sunset after the rain last night, but the low lying heavy clouds to the west never moved out, so I tried to salvage the evening with this shot to the south. I shall try again tonight. I hope everyone is staying safe and well!

Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 180mm HR IQ4 150
Really nice Greg.

D&A

A bit of background and history:

The following two images were taken on a very early morning sojourn into Shenandoah Nat'l Park (on a very circuitous route for official work in Wash. D.C.). It was late March 2020 and the park and it's well known Skyline drive was basically deserted for well over the 100 miles on the drive I took inside the park (except for a single hiker and his dog) due to encouraged "stay at home orders" because of the pandemic. The dreary depressing weather exemplified the somber mood of the general populous at this time. Almost all of this particular Nat'l park is fairly dense with forested trees and brush and upon reaching the area known as "Great Meadows", is normally a surprise for first time visitors. The barren area seems out of place and to the uninitiated, generally believe a clearing that was man made for the nearby lodge from the early 1930's or possibly some catastrophic wildfire cleared the forested region. Nothing could be further from the truth. This explanation is given by the Nat'l Park Service:

"Artifacts have been found in the meadow that indicate it was used as a Native American hunting ground in the Archaic period (8000 BC–2000 BC) through the Woodland period (1200 BC – 1600 AD). It’s likely that these hunters used a combination of controlled burns and hand clearing. But why hunt in a meadow? The low impact burns, that left big trees but cleared underbrush, allowed wild blueberry to flourish. This, in turn, attracted deer to the edges of Big Meadows. It is also likely that migratory Native Americans would have used Big Meadows as a base camp during the part of the year when hunting and gathering in the surrounding area was best. But why is the meadow still clear? By the early 18th century, European settlers had started to establish farms in the Shenandoah Valley region. Big Meadows was employed as summer pasture for cows, with the settlers continuing the practice of controlled burns."

Normally on days in months and years past, especially in the early morning and early evening hours, this area is teeming with deer (especially foe this time of year), a fair abundance of black bears, wild birds of various kinds, small animals and snakes. In other words a sort of bustling metropolis for wildlife. On this occasion, everything was eerily silent and empty. It was a shock, especially having observed the meadow throughout the years. Its as though the animals knew to also shelter in place. Nary a sound nor creature stirred. Nature can be both wonderous and mysterious at times.

Other images taken during this peculiar drive hopefully will be posted in the future.

Both images taken with the Pentax 645Z; FA 45-85mm.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

dave.gt

A bit of background and history:

The following two images were taken on a very early morning sojourn into Shenandoah Nat'l Park (on a very circuitous route for official work in Wash. D.C.). It was late March 2020 and the park and it's well known Skyline drive was basically deserted for well over the 100 miles on the drive I took inside the park (except for a single hiker and his dog) due to encouraged "stay at home orders" because the pandemic. The dreary depressing weather exemplified the mood of the populous at the time. Almost all of this particular Nat'l park is fairly dense with forested trees and brush and upon reaching the area known as "Great Meadows", is normally a surprise for first time visitors. The barren area seems out of place and to the uninitiated, generally believe a clearing that was man made for the nearby lodge from the early 1930's or possibly some catastrophic wildfire cleared the forested region. Nothing could be further from the truth. This explanation is given by the Nat'l Park Service:

"Artifacts have been found in the meadow that indicate it was used as a Native American hunting ground in the Archaic period (8000 BC–2000 BC) through the Woodland period (1200 BC – 1600 AD). It’s likely that these hunters used a combination of controlled burns and hand clearing. But why hunt in a meadow? The low impact burns, that left big trees but cleared underbrush, allowed wild blueberry to flourish. This, in turn, attracted deer to the edges of Big Meadows. It is also likely that migratory Native Americans would have used Big Meadows as a base camp during the part of the year when hunting and gathering in the surrounding area was best. But why is the meadow still clear? By the early 18th century, European settlers had started to establish farms in the Shenandoah Valley region. Big Meadows was employed as summer pasture for cows, with the settlers continuing the practice of controlled burns."

Normally on days in months and years past, especially in the early morning and early evening hours, this area is teeming with deer (especially foe this time of year), a fair abundance of black bears, wild birds of various kinds, small animals and snakes. In other words a sort of bust metropolis for wildlife. On this occasion, everything was eerily silent and empty. It was a shock, especially having observed the meadow throughout the years. Its as though the animals knew to also shelter in place. Nary a sound nor creature stirred by. Nature can be both wonderous and mysterious at times.

Other images taken during this peculiar drive hopefully will be posted in the future.

Images taken with Pentax 645Z; FA 45-85mm

Dave (D&A)
That's cool, I remember stopping there several times either on the Road King or in the SUV of the time. Great memories, and thanks for the landscape images!:thumbup:

dave.gt

A lot of fun (for me, as a hobbyist)!

Thanks, Rob
Rob, I'm sure it really is a lot of fun. Always enjoy your images! It would be great to see more of them especially the ones that make you smile.:) We always want to smile too!

Have a great weekend!

f6cvalkyrie

I haven't been doing a lot of photography these last weeks ... with temperatures above 30°C all the time, it's just too hot to carry the heavy MF gear around ...
So, only a few pictures from flowers in the garden recently ...

These were all made with the good old Phase One 645 DF with a P30+ back and the Mamiya 120/4 Macro Lens

Stay safe,
Rafael

Attachments

ropo54

Beautiful shot Rob, such a nice bokeh!
Thanks for those nice words, Dave and Greg. Just trying to occupy myself during this tedium, as we are pretty much isolated in Florida due to the pandemic. No other states will have us, and rightfully so! I just keep telling myself each day, 'we're one day closer to the end' and just tread water for now. Hope everyone is hanging in there. Rob

dave.gt

Thanks for those nice words, Dave and Greg. Just trying to occupy myself during this tedium, as we are pretty much isolated in Florida due to the pandemic. No other states will have us, and rightfully so! I just keep telling myself each day, 'we're one day closer to the end' and just tread water for now. Hope everyone is hanging in there. Rob
It is good to hear from you, Rob. :)

I have been burned out on the pandemic nightmare and have simply given up trying to keep up with the ever-changing fiasco. Tending to medical needs and cleaning and disinfecting everything that enters our bubble takes up most of my day, leaving little room for domestics, therapies, and other priorities let alone personal time. So, it is enlightening to hear a little of how others are affected with the Covid tragedy.

Photography/camera therapy :) certainly is good for the soul. I manage at least 10 minutes a day if for no other reason than to walk out in the backyard and capture a new Rose bud, or to see what that pesky bug/lizard on the terrace would look like up close.:loco:

In times past, we had grandchildren to keep us happy and busy using them as motifs and casual shooting subjects. Sadly, it is a rare occasion now when we are in the actual presence of a human being. A stranger in a strange land now.

I have enjoyed seeing your images posted here and in the Leica S2 thread. Looking forward to seeing more!:thumbup:

Greg Haag

Well, another night with no sunset, this is as close to one as I could get. Tonight is my last shot before heading home and based on the weather forecast it is not looking promising. It will give me something to look forward to when we come back, it has been nice to dust off the gear and shoot some! I hope everyone is safe and well!

Cambo 1600 Cambo Rodenstock 32mm HR IQ4 150

Watercolor Sunset 8.jpg

dj may

Well, another night with no sunset, this is as close to one as I could get. Tonight is my last shot before heading home and based on the weather forecast it is not looking promising. It will give me something to look forward to when we come back, it has been nice to dust off the gear and shoot some! I hope everyone is safe and well!

Cambo 1600 Cambo Rodenstock 32mm HR IQ4 150

View attachment 150910
Sunsets are overrated 😉

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
S 180 w elpro close focus adapter
Rob,

I don't have the Elpro - and you make a powerful argument for it with that capture. Just gorgeous.

What I DO have are extension tubes for the Fuji 250mm f/4. So I tried it on an orchid that happened to be nearby. I have to say, I love the effect of semi-macros taken with long lenses and close-up gear. Thank you for the inspiration.

Matt

ropo54

Rob,

I don't have the Elpro - and you make a powerful argument for it with that capture. Just gorgeous.

What I DO have are extension tubes for the Fuji 250mm f/4. So I tried it on an orchid that happened to be nearby. I have to say, I love the effect of semi-macros taken with long lenses and close-up gear. Thank you for the inspiration.

Matt

You're quite welcome, Matt. Would love to take credit for intending it, but I, too, was 'surprised'. Thanks. Rob

nameBrandon

Finally getting some time with the 40HR. She flares for sure! Handy that the large CI LCC card doubles as a flag to shade the lens from direct light.

f/11, Fort Sheridan, IL.

jng

Orange dahlia

2020-08-09 20-32-24 (C,Smoothing2)-sq_rotate_flat-FrameShop.jpg

WRS1250 | IQ3100 | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/5.6 | 17-image focus stack

Another in the series...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.