Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Considering Medium Format

petermacc

Re: Considering Medium Format

Guy, Do you have any suggestions for hand held shooting? Did you have any opinion on bowens lighting?

Post Thanks / Like

If you go the Phamiya route I would seriously avoid going with a refurb non plus Phase back in Mamiya mount. I purchased an H mount P45 and submitted it for a mount swap over 5 weeks ago. Phase has no Mamiya P45 backs AT ALL. Not even a loaner P45 they could swap me with. They also cannot give me any time frames when one will be available. If you are interested in a low count P45 for an H1 or H2 I would let mine go for what I paid for it.

petermacc

Scott,

Thanks, I definitely don't want to with a non plus back. I like the long term exposures and it seems the P+ series is the way to go for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I went with the P45 for longer exposures vs the competition. Some of my exposures are around 15min which is still in the back's sweet spot according to the P45 long exposure test in Luminous Landscape. I borrowed one from a friend a while back and did a 5 minute quick test and there was no additional noise. Most of my Landscape sunrise/set shots average around 2 minutes.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by petermacc View Post
    Scott,

Thanks, I definitely don't want to with a non plus back. I like the long term exposures and it seems the P+ series is the way to go for that.
    Correct. There is no doubt that if you're interested in long exposures (anything past a "few minutes" at room temperature) then you need to use a P+. Nothing else in MFD comes remotely close.

Quick note that if you are doing (or viewing sample files of) long exposures it's very important to process using Capture One. The P+ backs take a dark-slide exposure to measure the location, type, and intensity of noise on the sensor in order to ensure noise-free capture even during very long exposures. Only Capture One can access that dark-slide information. While I prefer Capture One over Lightroom/ACR/Irrident-Raw-Developer/Aperture(via DNG) in general for Phase One raw files, the differences for normal exposures at low ISO is not earth-shattering. However, at long exposures or high ISO the difference is night and day.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
    Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, Is the dark slide exposure done simultaneously or in addition to the long exposure? If in addition to is it a quick exposure or the same length?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smhoer View Post
    Doug, Is the dark slide exposure done simultaneously or in addition to the long exposure? If in addition to is it a quick exposure or the same length?
    It is equal in length and it is taken after the normal exposure. I don't want to underplay how annoying that can be at times. If you take a 5 minute exposure you have to wait an additional 5 minutes for the dark slide exposure to be taken at the end. While you can put the lens cap on and take the camera off the tripod and start walking away you don't want to do anything that would effect the temperature of the back (such as put it in a small bag or bring it inside) during that dark slide exposure.

In the high end of photography everything is a compromise. If you want long exposures in digital you need a dark slide exposure. If you want long exposures on film you have to shoot only certain kinds of film, and account for reciprocity failure for time and color shift.

One quick note: the back does count up on the LCD during the long exposure and then counts down during the dark slide exposure so you don't have to bring a stopwatch or take out your sometimes-to-bright-for-long-night-shots iPhone.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug. Can you turn the dark slide exposure off and at what shutter speed does it kick in?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One quick note: the back does count up on the LCD during the long exposure and then counts down during the dark slide exposure so you don't have to bring a stopwatch or take out your sometimes-to-bright-for-long-night-shots iPhone.

Can't tell you how useful this is. No counting, also what i do on the Phase body is set-up the self timer for 3 seconds than hit the mirror lock up. Press the shutter mirror goes up than hit shutter again and wait the self timer time (3 and adjustable) the exposure goes and NO need for a cable release. This will make you lazy. LOL

Actually both really nice features and the shutter dial will go up to 30 seconds .

Doug I never tried this but on bulb we would have to have the cable release correct. No T mode like a view lens
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    STAY OUT OF CAMERA SHOPS. Except for a select few that are here and we talk about, they will always try to sell you what they have or can get. LOL

There are exceptions of course . David at Dale and Sean at Camera West are dear friends and great retailers. Plus some of the Samy's and B&H where pro sales are made your dealing with what they know and that is ultimately what they sell. MF stuff is generally not stocked on shelves nor will they give you the service and support your after. I also like your thoughts on the lighting , yes do it once and get it over with and make sure it will last a long time and is good stuff.
    I'd add Calumet to the list.

I've found that a store can be judged by its lighting inventory. If they sell light stands, power packs, kits, carry cases, heads, spare bulbs - and so on - and even better, also rents lighting gear and cameras, then they are likely a good place to shop. (And that goes even for me, who hardly ever uses lighting.)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Doug I never tried this but on bulb we would have to have the cable release correct. No T mode like a view lens
    That's correct. Shipped as-is you cannot use any form of T mode with a Phase One digital back (or as far as I know with any brand of digital back). So anything past 30 seconds you would need a lockable cable release, but those are $20 and weight an ounce.

If you want to get fancy you could use our Multi Exposure Box with a Hasselblad V, Hasselblad H, Contax, and Tech Cameras you could use. With this device you can trigger the lens/strobes completely independent of the start/stop of the exposure which means you could do true multiple exposures, shoot long pinhole exposures, or use T mode to expose for hours. Unfortunately that can't be done with the Phase body!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am considering jumping to medium format to do architecture and real estate photography for a few local real estate offices. I am getting a lot of people asking me to do virtual tours for them and they are requesting high resolution tours since many of the real estate offices deal with British citizens on holiday. What would you suggest using besides the typical tilt shift lenses and 28mm choices?

What companies do you think are the most secure choices for long term stability?

The ones with the best cameras seems to be the Hy6, H3D II and the Phase one Camera. What has been your experiences with them? Most of the photographers in my town that are advertising their services are simply using D70's or on the rare occasion a D300 or Canon equivalent. We have homes that the real estate agents have listed in the 500K to 10 million dollar range in my town and the area is really not well handled.

Also coming from using a DSLR, I have done a lot of available light shooting and would like to continue, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to continue doing that with medium format?

Peter
    One thing that will set you apart from other competitors is lighting. No camera or software can replace good lighting. Investing in a lighting kit (and learning how to use it)will get you farther along than a highly resolved, poorly lit, interior.

For virtual tours, here is a web site from a friend of mine, Jook Leung, in New Jersey, he uses a Canon 5D and a Tokina 10-17 fisheye to do some of the work. http://360vr.com/ His detail and true virtual reality with the ability to correct for key stoning is remarkable. Not bad detail from a $500 lens at that!

Good luck

Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

petermacc

Lighting is kind of a given, this is more along the lines of what I was thinking.
    http://www.applevrtours.com/qtvr/ChaletCD.mov

Mushroom House

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    One thing that will set you apart from other competitors is lighting. No camera or software can replace good lighting. Investing in a lighting kit (and learning how to use it)will get you farther along than a highly resolved, poorly lit, interior.

For virtual tours, here is a web site from a friend of mine, Jook Leung, in New Jersey, he uses a Canon 5D and a Tokina 10-17 fisheye to do some of the work. http://360vr.com/ His detail and true virtual reality with the ability to correct for key stoning is remarkable. Not bad detail from a $500 lens at that!

Good luck

Al
    Al

Your friend's work is amazing.

Woody

petermacc

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Al

Your friend's work is amazing.

Woody
    Agreed, I am not a huge fan of fisheye lenses but they do create a very unique perspective and that is one of the best done tours in java I have run across as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed, I am not a huge fan of fisheye lenses but they do create a very unique perspective and that is one of the best done tours in java I have run across as well.
    I am not a big fan of fisheye in the "unworked" image, but with the software that he uses, the options to straighten the lines is at your fingertips.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

petermacc

Yeah, they are good programs. The one I have been using is called VRWorx http://www.vrtoolbox.com/gallery/sce...e_gallery.html