The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Considering Medium Format

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug I never tried this but on bulb we would have to have the cable release correct. No T mode like a view lens
That's correct. Shipped as-is you cannot use any form of T mode with a Phase One digital back (or as far as I know with any brand of digital back). So anything past 30 seconds you would need a lockable cable release, but those are $20 and weight an ounce.

If you want to get fancy you could use our Multi Exposure Box with a Hasselblad V, Hasselblad H, Contax, and Tech Cameras you could use. With this device you can trigger the lens/strobes completely independent of the start/stop of the exposure which means you could do true multiple exposures, shoot long pinhole exposures, or use T mode to expose for hours. Unfortunately that can't be done with the Phase body!

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

atanabe

I am considering jumping to medium format to do architecture and real estate photography for a few local real estate offices. I am getting a lot of people asking me to do virtual tours for them and they are requesting high resolution tours since many of the real estate offices deal with British citizens on holiday. What would you suggest using besides the typical tilt shift lenses and 28mm choices?

What companies do you think are the most secure choices for long term stability?

The ones with the best cameras seems to be the Hy6, H3D II and the Phase one Camera. What has been your experiences with them? Most of the photographers in my town that are advertising their services are simply using D70's or on the rare occasion a D300 or Canon equivalent. We have homes that the real estate agents have listed in the 500K to 10 million dollar range in my town and the area is really not well handled.

Also coming from using a DSLR, I have done a lot of available light shooting and would like to continue, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to continue doing that with medium format?

Peter
One thing that will set you apart from other competitors is lighting. No camera or software can replace good lighting. Investing in a lighting kit (and learning how to use it)will get you farther along than a highly resolved, poorly lit, interior.

For virtual tours, here is a web site from a friend of mine, Jook Leung, in New Jersey, he uses a Canon 5D and a Tokina 10-17 fisheye to do some of the work. http://360vr.com/ His detail and true virtual reality with the ability to correct for key stoning is remarkable. Not bad detail from a $500 lens at that!

Good luck

Al

woodyspedden

One thing that will set you apart from other competitors is lighting. No camera or software can replace good lighting. Investing in a lighting kit (and learning how to use it)will get you farther along than a highly resolved, poorly lit, interior.

For virtual tours, here is a web site from a friend of mine, Jook Leung, in New Jersey, he uses a Canon 5D and a Tokina 10-17 fisheye to do some of the work. http://360vr.com/ His detail and true virtual reality with the ability to correct for key stoning is remarkable. Not bad detail from a $500 lens at that!

Good luck

Al
Al

Your friend's work is amazing.

Woody

P

petermacc

Al

Your friend's work is amazing.

Woody
Agreed, I am not a huge fan of fisheye lenses but they do create a very unique perspective and that is one of the best done tours in java I have run across as well.

atanabe

Agreed, I am not a huge fan of fisheye lenses but they do create a very unique perspective and that is one of the best done tours in java I have run across as well.
I am not a big fan of fisheye in the "unworked" image, but with the software that he uses, the options to straighten the lines is at your fingertips.