The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with grad filter system paranoia

markmullen

I swear by my Lee system, I've never had a problem with flare, even shooting into the sun. I use the Lee lens hood whenever possible but haven't had that long and used to shoot without it without issue, I just make sure my filters are clean, no fingerprints etc.

torger

I would guess that having a bright area to the side of a wide angle, double the grad filter with a center filter under it increases the risk of reflection greatly, and top that with pushing two stops. Without pushing it's hard to see the fog.

As I nearly always use a workflow where I cancel out the gradient with LCC (like here) and then digitally tonemap in post (not rarely adding in a virtual gradient as a part of the tonemapping) dark stuff gets pushed so there's an increased risk issues like these get visible compared to the traditional workflow where the gradient effect is kept as-is out of the camera.