The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Neutral density filters

pesto

This afternoon I received a note from B&H stating that Lee has discontinued the Big Stopper...what a bummer!! I am wondering if there is anyone here who has experience with any of the alternatives ... Hellopan, B&W, Hitech, Singh-Ray, etc. that might offer some thoughts or recommendations.

Thank you,

Douglas Benson

Shashin

The B&W ND filters pass a lot of IR. I like the Hoya NX400 9-stop ND filter. Gives long exposures, but you can still frame through it in bright conditions. IR contamination is well controlled. I have had a bad experience with Heliopan filters.

Last edited:

pesto

Will and Ken, Thank you. The note that I received from B&H was in response to an order for the 100 x 100, beyond that I have no idea. My problem is that I need a 95 mm thread so the Hoya will not work. I gather the Singh Ray will fit in my Lee frame so perhaps that will be my direction even though they do seem to be a bit overly proud of them...$415...yikes!!!

Douglas Benson.

carl-b

It is strange Lee would announce that as they have only just started to supply the big stopper in a metal case for added protection.

Ken. Hitech have replaced the earlier versions of their ND filters with pro versions. Which like the Lee big stopper feature a gasket to seal against the holder, plus the colour cast is no where near as bad now. They also have started to make a glass version, which is over 1.5 times the price of the Lee big stopper.

pesto

It is strange Lee would announce that as they have only just started to supply the big stopper in a metal case for added protection.

Ken. Hitech have replaced the earlier versions of their ND filters with pro versions. Which like the Lee big stopper feature a gasket to seal against the holder, plus the colour cast is no where near as bad now. They also have started to make a glass version, which is over 1.5 times the price of the Lee big stopper.
I was surprised as well; it would appear that there is more than enough demand for these devices.
Here is a copy of the email that I received:

Dear Customer

Thank you for your interest in the following item:

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686370-REG/LEE_Filters_10_STOP_GLASS_4X4_4_x_4_Big&bi=E15>LEE Filters 4 x 4" Big Stopper Filter
(B&H # LEBS44)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Go figure.

Douglas Benson.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've got to believe that this is temporary and that there's a new version coming. This is undoubtedly LEE's most popular filter and limited only by supply, not demand.

Now 'temporary' in LEE terms could be a while.

I have been very happy with the Schneider IRND filters however the strongest is 7 stops. I have both a 4 stop and 7 stop. I also have a Lee Big Stopper, but prefer the Schneider. They are pricey though.

Shashin

Variable neutral density filter have problems that their maximum density, especially with wides. There is the black X problem of unevenness.

pesto

UPDATE!!!
This morning I sent an email to Lee Filters USA inquiring about the discontinuation of the "Big Stopper" and was told that it has not been discontinued.

Sorry about the false information :eek:...one would think that B&H would be more careful about these things.

We can now all rest securely once again.

Douglas Benson.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Maybe it was a masterful piece of marketing by Hitech to get their product out there. Create some panic in the market and get people looking at alternatives. It would be a classic tactic. :D

OliverM

I am about to buy a Lee filter kit with the wide angle hood and 10x15 filters.
My contact suggests to go for the Seven5 line, that is smaller & better sized for the Alpa (I have a SWA, a 35 xl and a 60 HRs).
Any recommendation between both solutions ?
Many thanks

(remark : I want to buy Lee filters since 1 or 2 years, but it took some time to understand what to buy, which filter and hoods and adaptors, then find a reseller, order pay and be refund as there were no availability, wait until there is some stock, order again but be asked why not going for a Seven5 system ... what a complexity for simple filters ... is it also part of the marketing ?)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I am about to buy a Lee filter kit with the wide angle hood and 10x15 filters.
My contact suggests to go for the Seven5 line, that is smaller & better sized for the Alpa (I have a SWA, a 35 xl and a 60 HRs).
Any recommendation between both solutions ?
Many thanks
I think , the sev5n system will be too small . It seems to me that system is designed for "35mm cameras" .

When you plan to use a LEE bellows hood , Standard or WA with filter slots , you will need the 100x100mm or the 100x150mm filters .

johnnygoesdigital

Heliopan are some of the best filters made. However, I use a Lee mostly for the fact that I can remove the square easily for framing, DOF, etc.