The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Linhof service in US!!

aeaemd

I bought the new 3D linhof head which I liked, I also have the arca cube as well. I packed both in my checkd-in bag on my way to Vegas few months ago. To be short and to the point, both heads were mishandled by TSA when they repacked the bag and both heads had few bends.
Arca head was serviced in 48 hours and the linhof head is still MIA at HP.
I am curious if anybody had similar bad experiences with HP service dept!!

Amr

hcubell

I bought the new 3D linhof head which I liked, I also have the arca cube as well. I packed both in my checkd-in bag on my way to Vegas few months ago. To be short and to the point, both heads were mishandled by TSA when they repacked the bag and both heads had few bends.
Arca head was serviced in 48 hours and the linhof head is still MIA at HP.
I am curious if anybody had similar bad experiences with HP service dept!!

Amr
I feel sorry for your misfortune with both TSA and HP. This is another lesson as to why I NEVER check my tripod and head. They always get carried on the plane with me. I can't afford for them to be lost, stolen or damaged. It's not like clothing which can be replaced. In fact, I would be happy to deal with not changing my clothes for two weeks compared to doing without my tripod.

This post is extremely disturbing, I mean disturbing enough that I woke up at 4am thinking about it ... doesn't it bother you? ... people search your bags and destroy your stuff without you being present! It really sucks to be in America right now, how can you let this happen. Who on earth is going to stop your governments insanity, you've lost all sense of liberty. I just don't understand what happened to the fighting spirit of America to be so submissive.

Oren Grad

Linhof authorized service in the US has been in transition, with the retirement and passing away of Martin Arndt of Marflex some months ago. Nippon Photoclinic in NYC was initially designated as the new service center, but Bob Salomon of HP has indicated that Bob Watkins will be getting factory training and taking on some responsibilities as well.

When did you send your tripod head and where did you send it, and have you spoken with someone at HP to find out its current status?

Godfrey

This post is extremely disturbing, I mean disturbing enough that I woke up at 4am thinking about it ... doesn't it bother you? ... people search your bags and destroy your stuff without you being present! It really sucks to be in America right now, how can you let this happen. Who on earth is going to stop your governments insanity, you've lost all sense of liberty. I just don't understand what happened to the fighting spirit of America to be so submissive.
I've had more luggage damaged, more things stolen out of my luggage, and more luggage misrouted to other places in the world besides where it was supposed to go when traveling through London-Heathrow than through any other airport, bar none. I do my best to go anywhere but Heathrow, but there are times when it is unavoidable due to cost and scheduling logistics.

I don't pack anything valuable in checked luggage anymore. Nothing. Anything valuable that I need at my destination and that I cannot carry in carry-on luggage personally, I ship with an insured carrier like UPS, DHL, or FedEx.

Of course, traveling with almost any airline nowadays is tantamount to paying someone to torture you and pick your pocket clean. I won't tire you with the last simple trip home from New York to San Francisco, which took two full days and cost me an extra $250 beyond the fare that I'd already purchased, for no real reason at all.

aeaemd

Linhof authorized service in the US has been in transition, with the retirement and passing away of Martin Arndt of Marflex some months ago. Nippon Photoclinic in NYC was initially designated as the new service center, but Bob Salomon of HP has indicated that Bob Watkins will be getting factory training and taking on some responsibilities as well.

When did you send your tripod head and where did you send it, and have you spoken with someone at HP to find out its current status?
I sent to Bob and he forwarded to nippon photoclinic in May, and still didn't get it and it is August. All what it needed is new screws.

aeaemd

Of course, traveling with almost any airline nowadays is tantamount to paying someone to torture you and pick your pocket clean. I won't tire you with the last simple trip home from New York to San Francisco, which took two full days and cost me an extra $250 beyond the fare that I'd already purchased, for no real reason at all.
Airline traveling has been unbearable. The last three trips over the last month were a nightmare. I spent more time at US airports more than I care to do especially Ohare (the worst airport on my list)

....I've had more luggage damaged...London-Heathrow...
We were stuck in Heathrow about 3 weeks back when they shut the runways. I haven't had the same problems with losing anything, but I left the UK 15 years ago, mistakenly we went 'home' about 9 years ago, lasted 20 months and have now been happily back in Asia for 7 years.

The US was built on avoiding the nonsense that is the UK, now it is going to end up worse off. :(

aeaemd

On the other hand I want to give thumbs up to precision camera works for turning around my cube in less than 48 hours. I texted steve Hendrix and he texted my back all the info and where I should send it. I fedex'd it same day, received a call from precision camera next morning. I asked the nice lady on the phone if i can get it soon, she put me on hold for few minutes then cam back and told me you can get it tomorrow. It was on my desk next day all fixed up.
I just wanted to give them both (steve and precision) the thumbs up.

Amr

tjv

Are you able to send directly to Linhof, or would that mean you'd get charged (re)import duty? (In future, I mean.)

stngoldberg

On the other hand I want to give thumbs up to precision camera works for turning around my cube in less than 48 hours. I texted steve Hendrix and he texted my back all the info and where I should send it. I fedex'd it same day, received a call from precision camera next morning. I asked the nice lady on the phone if i can get it soon, she put me on hold for few minutes then cam back and told me you can get it tomorrow. It was on my desk next day all fixed up.
I just wanted to give them both (steve and precision) the thumbs up.

Amr
I had the same delightful experience with Precision lately with my Arca 43mm Schneider lens. Three day turn around and under warranty no less
What a resource!!!!!!!!
Stanley

aeaemd

I finally got my 3D head back, they sent it first then the screws later. The head has micro rocking movement, nobody cared to check the head before they sent it to me. It sat there on their desk for four months and nobody cared to check if it works right before they sent it.
The moral of the story is the most important fact about a product is how it is serviced. Lesson learned

Amr

Shashin

HP Marketing is a nightmare. Never send anything to their service department. Return it to the manufacture, even if it requires to be sent overseas.