Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 44 of 44

Thread: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    I am interested in the Zeiss 110/2.0 As far as I know the Rollei and the Hasselblad version have the same optics inside.
    Reasons why I am interested:
    1) Should be great for focusing caused by a bright viewfinder and shallow DOF
    2) The focal length would fit quit well for people and portrait stuff - a little longer than 80. (However the 80 focal length is fine as well) Also as fast allround lens.
    3) From what one hears it should have a very nice smooth rendering

    For those who use it or have used it:
    -Do you use f2.0 often, and how do you get along with the shallow DOF at that f-stop
    -Used at f2.8 and higher f-stops - is there anything "magic" compared to lets say a 80mm Xenotar?
    -For what reasons do you use this lens, what do you like about it.

    Thanks for any ideas, Tom

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Tom

    I have the Hassy version which I currently use with adapter on my Nikon. I originally bought it for use on my Hassy 203FE but have decided to sell that body and of course because the 110 2.0 has no shutter it is useless on my Hassy H3DII-39.

    I think this lens is perhaps the best portrait lens on the market. The bokeh is so wonderful (and the DOF so shallow) that the subject seems to leap off the page!

    I will probably sell my (mint) copy of the lens given my current kit though. I just don't do enough portraits to justify such an expensive lens sitting around on a shelf.

    Woody

  3. #3
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    I have owned it twice for my Mamiya and admittedly it is stellar. (Missed it after selling the first one, so repurchased it. ) However, it is really only "super special" at f2 and f2.8. It is still very good at smaller apertures, just that it gets to looking a lot like other lenses in that focal range, like the 120 macro...

    In the end, my 150/2.8 Mamiya has a very similar special look at f2.8 and though longer in focal, I found myself migrating to the 150 more than the 110 for when I wanted that look -- the 150 being AF and fully integrated electronically is just a lot more convenient to use. And if I needed or wanted the 110 focal length, it was usually for landscape at smaller apertures, and I have the 120 macro for that. So in the end, I sold my second one, but it remains a stellar optic in my mind for those that want to exploit its strengths...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Yes Jack,
    I am also still somewhat undecided if I should not rather go for the 180/2.8 AF lens. But then with the longer focal length and 1 f-stop slower you need at least one stop more light.
    I think my main problem so far is that I am not used to "run out of light" so far. f1.4 lenses with ISO 640 on the M8 or even higher ISO on the D3 is just much different.
    (Maybe a crop sensor with micro lenses would have been better suited my needs. Dont know yet.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I have owned it twice for my Mamiya and admittedly it is stellar. (Missed it after selling the first one, so repurchased it. ) However, it is really only "super special" at f2 and f2.8. It is still very good at smaller apertures, just that it gets to looking a lot like other lenses in that focal range, like the 120 macro...

    In the end, my 150/2.8 Mamiya has a very similar special look at f2.8 and though longer in focal, I found myself migrating to the 150 more than the 110 for when I wanted that look -- the 150 being AF and fully integrated electronically is just a lot more convenient to use. And if I needed or wanted the 110 focal length, it was usually for landscape at smaller apertures, and I have the 120 macro for that. So in the end, I sold my second one, but it remains a stellar optic in my mind for those that want to exploit its strengths...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    I used the 110/2 under somewhat different circumstances - on a 1Ds2 (could also use on Nikon). Very Leica 90/2-like WO, sharpens up nicely as you go down a couple of stops. I tend to think of it as Hassy's version of the 90/2 pre-APO. Smooth operation and, given is a very fast MF lens, very fine-pitch focus mechanics. The Hassy aperture preset button is a godsend for stop-down use.

    The ONLY 'con' I had with it is that unlike say the Leica 80 'lux or the 90/2 (pre-APO) I found (YMMV) that WO and up close, the transition from out-of-focus to in-focus to out-of-focus (front to back through plane of focus) was more distinct or abrupt vs. gradual and smooth. The color, details, etc within the plane of focus is sweet, but I can always tell my 110/2 shots from those from my 80 'Lux or a (borrowed) 90/2 pre-AA by this trait.

    Again, this was on a FF DSLR, things could be radically different with a much larger sensor'd MFDB.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Hi Tom. I use all three lenses you are talking about -- the 80mm Xenotar, 110/2 Planar and 180mm f/2.8 Tele-Xenar AF. All of the lenses are fantastic, but I think the 110/2 is the most pleasing optically. It is more useful in some senses in that it focuses to .8m (versus 1m for the 80mm and 1.8m or so for the 180mm), and the overall optical look pleases me more than the other two lenses (which are gorgeous as well, just not QUITE as gorgeous). I agree with Jack that it has a unique look at f/2 and 2.8, but I think it extends to f/4 as well. Beyond that, it just looks like a nice mid telephoto. At f/8 it is very very sharp. This lens behaves VERY similarly to the 75/1.4 Summilux, so if you like the 75/1.4, you will probably love the 110/2. I do not shoot it too often at dead wide open, but usually at 2.8 or f/4 (often because the shutter speed is not fast enough to shoot f/2). I don't really miss the AF much, and compared to the 180/2.8, it is a much smaller lens. The 80mm Xenotar is also a great lens, but I think it is a bit wide for many portraits. The 110/2 looks perfect to my eye...
    Here are some samples...mostly from film and the Hasselblad version, though I have not been able to tell a difference between it and the Rollei version.









    This gives you an idea of the depth of field when used close up and wide open:




    This is the 180mm and 1.4x TC:


    And just the 180mm:


    This would be the 80mm Xenotar:





    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Hi Stuart,
    thank you for those samples and your answer.
    Really helpfull. The shorter min distance would be welcome since I have touched the limit of the 80 Xenotar a couple of times in the last days.
    I really like the look in your "110"-images.
    Regards, Tom

    Rob - what you tell me here doesnt make it easier for me to resist!
    Thanks for the help, Tom

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Tom, John Black has a few pages describing his experiments with the AFDII and at some point, the 110/2, both on the AFDII and on a 1Ds3. His was the latest version with the square baffle inside the back of the lens (against the glass, not just the squarish shape around the rear element), and he claims that this would negatively affect the boke wide open.

    His pages start here: http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/...g/Archive.html

    I just picked up a really clean copy with box, bag, booklet and both covers for 1060 Euro, but I think in general you would have to pay a bit more. Mine is the FE version, with the contacts, but earlier than John's square-baffle version. He has picked up another one since, I believe, probably a non-square-baffle version, but I am not sure.

    Unfortunately, I can't try mine yet, since the adapter is still on the way for my Contax 645, and anyway, I don't yet have the money for a DB for it. I will shoot some film while waiting, though. I do have an old 500C, but I am not sure if putting the lens on this camera will damage one or the other, so I haven't tried. This would be just for the purpose of walking around, looking through it and playing, since I know that the lack of a leaf shutter in the F/FE lenses precludes the use on 500-series bodies.

    Edit: I looked at the mounts of my old 80/2.8C and the 110/2FE very carefully, and apart from the contacts, the mounts are identical, so I carefully put it on the camera and focused around a bit. It is hard to tell with the dim viewfinder in this old camera, but I can already tell two things: the depth of field at f2 close up is amazingly narrow, just a few millimetres. A breath will move you away from focus. Secondly, I like the look of what I can see. I have a feeling that I will really like this lens.
    Last edited by carstenw; 30th December 2008 at 14:06.
    Carsten - Website

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Tom,

    She a gorgeous lens by any definition. If you think 90/2, 80/75/1.4 for MF, you'll love it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Carsten -- for what it's worth, my Hassie 110/2 is without the square baffle and the Rollei 110/2 is with it -- I have not noticed any difference in bokeh (though I have not really been looking for it either...).
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Carsten,
    in case of the 110 it seems hard to find a used one in Rollei mount and easier in Hassy mount ;(
    Regarding the choice of back: So far I am fine with the 54LV but I could really use 1-2 steps better ISO performance. I really recommend to include the ISO-needs into your evaluation of backs.

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    I have not had the chance to try the lens yet, so I cannot evaluate the boke. However, as mine doesn't have the baffle either, I doubt I would find anything wrong. The question is with. John meant that it was visible in some cases. Perhaps he is listening in and has a sample?

    Tom, if need be, can you not adapt the Hassie 110/2?

    I am not planning to do any MF DB shooting without a tripod, and will do all my shooting at base ISO. The ISO is not a problem for me. I also rarely shoot my M8 at even 640, and usually at 160, sometimes at 320. I expect that the 54LV is okay at 200? That is about all that I am expecting. I truly want to use the Contax 645/54LV combo for high-quality work only.

    Btw, does anyone here know what the deal is with the Hasselblad 2000/200-series cameras and the 54LV back? Is there some way to make it work?
    Carsten - Website

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Hi Carsten,
    I dont think the Hassy-V-lenses can be used on the Hy6 but maybe anybody else knows? Also I would like full use of f-stop control etc.
    What I see so far from ISO looks totally fine to me.
    Do you use flash if there is not enough available light or do you only shoot in bright daylight?
    Cheers, Tom


    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Tom, if need be, can you not adapt the Hassie 110/2?

    I am not planning to do any MF DB shooting without a tripod, and will do all my shooting at base ISO. The ISO is not a problem for me. I also rarely shoot my M8 at even 640, and usually at 160, sometimes at 320. I expect that the 54LV is okay at 200? That is about all that I am expecting. I truly want to use the Contax 645/54LV combo for high-quality work only.

    Btw, does anyone here know what the deal is with the Hasselblad 2000/200-series cameras and the 54LV back? Is there some way to make it work?

  14. #14
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Tom,

    Given you are shooting the Sinar, I would definitely recommend the 110 --- it fits quite nicely in-between the 80 and 180 and Stuart hit it right on when he says it gives you the 75 Lux look. (And I'll even agree f4 still carries a bit of it too .) The only hesitation would be if you already own the 120 macro in which case you have that focal range covered, but not necessarily with that look...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Tom -- the Hassie 110/2 will not work on the Rollei for several reasons -- the most important is that it does not have an in lens shutter, and neither does the Hy6 -- so there would be no shutter. Beyond that, Hasselblad V (and F) lenses are entirely mechanical (the FE lenses have contacts only to transmit aperture information for the metering), and the Hy6 entirely electronic. This is before any difference in flange to focal plane is taken into account. In any case, it would be extremely difficult to adapt lenses from the Hassie onto the Hy6.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Tom -- the Hassie 110/2 will not work on the Rollei for several reasons -- the most important is that it does not have an in lens shutter, and neither does the Hy6 -- so there would be no shutter. Beyond that, Hasselblad V (and F) lenses are entirely mechanical (the FE lenses have contacts only to transmit aperture information for the metering), and the Hy6 entirely electronic. This is before any difference in flange to focal plane is taken into account. In any case, it would be extremely difficult to adapt lenses from the Hassie onto the Hy6.
    Thanks Stuart and now when you say it I feel kind of stupid that I didnt think of the "missing" leaf shutter...

  17. #17
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Tom, I thought you were referring to the Rollei version for your Sinar -- AIUI they are the same optics and the Rollei version will work on your camera. Of course it is priced like all other Rollei gear
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Tom, I thought you were referring to the Rollei version for your Sinar -- AIUI they are the same optics and the Rollei version will work on your camera. Of course it is priced like all other Rollei gear
    Yes,
    I thought of the Rollei version. (however I was interested if the Hassy version would work as well because you get in for quit lower prices. But of course it doesnt work).
    The problem with the Rollei 110 I havent seen one used so far (whereas its no problem to find nearly all other Rollei lenses used.)
    Either nobody owns the Rollei 110 or it is so good that nobody wants to give it away.
    Rollei has a special offer for the 110 going on which means about 35% reduction of the list price so I might jump on this if I dont find a used copy. Would need to sell some other stuff therefore.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lancs, UK
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    So far I am fine with the 54LV but I could really use 1-2 steps better ISO performance. I really recommend to include the ISO-needs into your evaluation of backs.
    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw
    I am not planning to do any MF DB shooting without a tripod, and will do all my shooting at base ISO. The ISO is not a problem for me. I also rarely shoot my M8 at even 640, and usually at 160, sometimes at 320. I expect that the 54LV is okay at 200?
    I'm sure I'll regret bringing this up, but if you guys look at this thread:

    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...?t=1846&page=3

    you'll see that the 54LV doesn't actually "do" ISO variation, it underexposes (as do a lot of backs, apparently).
    Don't get hung up on quoted ISO performance; just underexpose a little if you need to, but know at what level you hit unacceptable noise (which will vary by image DR).

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post
    I'm sure I'll regret bringing this up, but if you guys look at this thread:

    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...?t=1846&page=3

    you'll see that the 54LV doesn't actually "do" ISO variation, it underexposes (as do a lot of backs, apparently).
    Don't get hung up on quoted ISO performance; just underexpose a little if you need to, but know at what level you hit unacceptable noise (which will vary by image DR).
    I dont know if ISO-variation is anything else than in camera/in software underexposing+pushing.
    What I see so far from the 54LV 200 ISO looks fine and 400ISO looks "ok" in the higher and midtones but not great in shaddows.

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Thanks Stuart and now when you say it I feel kind of stupid that I didnt think of the "missing" leaf shutter...
    Yes, me too Synapse blowout.

    Tom, if you decide to move to the 75LV later, or some other high-ISO capable back, then keep me in mind for your 54LV. I will likely have the money some time in early spring, maybe March or so, when I get my tax return.
    Carsten - Website

  22. #22
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Yes,
    I thought of the Rollei version. (however I was interested if the Hassy version would work as well because you get in for quit lower prices.
    Understand that for sure, but when one enters the Rollei system...

    As for how the different backs accommodate ISO, I would not worry about it. Any way you slice it, gain is being added somewhere to generate a higher ISO, and I don't whether it's add it at the sensor or after makes a whole lot of difference.

    Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lancs, UK
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    As for how the different backs accommodate ISO, I would not worry about it. Any way you slice it, gain is being added somewhere to generate a higher ISO, and I don't whether it's add it at the sensor or after makes a whole lot of difference.
    Cheers,
    Jack, I found a great post on LL this afternoon explaining what hardware gain achieves, but I can't find it now...

    If I read it right, your P45+ which does have hardware gain to ISO 800, should be better for noise at higher ISOs than backs that don't have it, at the expense of reducing DR at the highlight end.

    IMO, this is better than getting full DR but with greater noise in the shadows.

  24. #24
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post

    If I read it right, your P45+ which does have hardware gain to ISO 800, should be better for noise at higher ISOs than backs that don't have it, at the expense of reducing DR at the highlight end.

    IMO, this is better than getting full DR but with greater noise in the shadows.
    I suspect that was the long thread over there and it was panopeeper that made that comment. What I can tell you is that my P45+ does have hardware gain while Guy's P25+ has software gain. Different pixel pitch, so not a fair comparison maybe, but at the end of the day, BOTH backs behave so similarly with respect to higher ISO as to be identical... So I for one do not buy that first assumption.

    As for DR, you always lose some at ISO's higher than native, regardless of how you get there, because amount of noise is a base variable for determining the lower limit of DR -- the more noise, the less DR. Since ISO's greater than native almost always mean more noise, they will also almost always mean less DR.

    Note that in all the tests Guy and I have done together, the P25+ does appear to have a bit lower DR than the P45+ at higher ISOs -- like maybe 1/3rd stop. But it also has better interpixel contrast (clarity), and if you add to the clarity slider to get the P45+ file looking like the P25+ file, all of a sudden DR is virtually identical.

    In summary, I am not arguing the veracity of the hardware versus software ISO/DR claim, I am only saying I remain unconvinced it matters in actual use...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Tom, here's my Contax 645 with 110/2 and hood. What does yours look like?

    Attachment 10795
    Carsten - Website

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Every time I see a pic of Contax 645 system - let alone one with a Hassy 110/2 attached my wallet goes into the (all too familiar) fetal position.

    If a Nikon 9000 ever falls off a truck in my 'hood (or I decide to chuck this DSLR roller coaster)....

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Every time I see a pic of Contax 645 system - let alone one with a Hassy 110/2 attached my wallet goes into the (all too familiar) fetal position.

    If a Nikon 9000 ever falls off a truck in my 'hood (or I decide to chuck this DSLR roller coaster)....
    I hate to do this to you Rob, but it is for your own best good. Camera with 80/2, prism and film back: 1000 Euro, 110/2: 1060 Euro, hood: 40 Euro. Find a little change, will'ya?

    Attachment 10801
    Carsten - Website

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Oh, and 120 Macro from Harry's Pro Shop, $1800CAN in perfect shape.
    Carsten - Website

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Cruel Carsten, just cruel ;>

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Maybe I should have gone Contax instead of Hy6 if I read this.
    But hey, I supported the german economy

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    I hate to do this to you Rob, but it is for your own best good. Camera with 80/2, prism and film back: 1000 Euro, 110/2: 1060 Euro, hood: 40 Euro. Find a little change, will'ya?

    Attachment 10801

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Its the finest bokeh smokeh lens I have ever used - so I bought two an F and a FE series and then I bought a 200 series body to go with it and then I bought a digi back to go with that!

    sad huh?

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Maybe I should have gone Contax instead of Hy6 if I read this.
    But hey, I supported the german economy
    How so; Sinar is Swiss, right?
    Carsten - Website

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    How so; Sinar is Swiss, right?
    Lens and Hy6 are both manufactured by Franke-Heidecke in Germany,
    Maybe some for Sinar, but overall the biggest part would stay here

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Lens and Hy6 are both manufactured by Franke-Heidecke in Germany,
    Maybe some for Sinar, but overall the biggest part would stay here
    With the cost of your lens, and the stimulus the purchase has given to the German economy, perhaps they can halve the 50 billion (milliard) Euro economy stimulus package
    Carsten - Website

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    With the cost of your lens, and the stimulus the purchase has given to the German economy, perhaps they can halve the 50 billion (milliard) Euro economy stimulus package
    I also suggest they change the 2500 car cash program to a 2500 lens cash program

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Tom, here's my Contax 645 with 110/2 and hood. What does yours look like?

    Attachment 10795
    Hi Carsten,
    and here is mine - one with and one image without hood, this is quite a HOOD!




  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Nice Tom...I know that monster well.

    Anyway, I said I would post some images to see if people can tell the difference between the 110/2 and the 75mm f/1.4 summilux on the web. I bet some people will get them right, but nevertheless, my argument is that they are very, very similar lenses. I cropped them all to approximately 35mm aspect ratios, so no cheating on that account. Please don't tell if you know from some other way than just your eye.

    Here they are:













    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  38. #38
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Okay I will go first

    1 and 2 110
    3,5 and 7 75 lux
    4 and 6 110
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    I don't think that there is that much point in guessing, since they do look similar, but there are also some very different types of shots here, and I am not familiar with both lenses in all situations. With more similar types of shots, it might be easier to pick out a pattern.

    Anyway, just for fun:

    1, 3, 4, 6, 7 : 75 Lux.
    2, 5 : 110/2 (I almost wrote Cron there; old habits die hard)

    I actually wanted to assign 3 to the 110/2, but I thought it more likely that two photographers would be out together with Leica Ms It is also a bit hard to judge since a couple are over-exposed.
    Carsten - Website

  40. #40
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Thats fun.
    I think:
    1,3,6,7 Lux
    2,4,5 Zeiss

    cheers, Tom

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Hi Carsten,
    and here is mine - one with and one image without hood, this is quite a HOOD!
    Yes, my hood is huge. Yours doesn't look so exaggerated, but maybe it is just the angle. Nice kit. So, that lighter shade of colour on the Hy6, is that light grey or slightly blue? It looks different in every photo I have seen.

    I still think about 645 vs. 6x6, and feel that as long as the sensors don't get larger than 645, I prefer the smaller camera, and putting up with the compromises from that. The one possible exception would be if I end up buying a 16MP square sensor as a stop-gap solution, in which case I might use it on a Hasselblad V camera, just for old time's sake. If they ever make a larger square sensor, I will likely look at how I can put either a 203FE or 6008i2/6008AF into action. The Hy6 is nice, but very pricy.
    Carsten - Website

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Yes, my hood is huge. Yours doesn't look so exaggerated, but maybe it is just the angle. Nice kit. So, that lighter shade of colour on the Hy6, is that light grey or slightly blue? It looks different in every photo I have seen.

    I still think about 645 vs. 6x6, and feel that as long as the sensors don't get larger than 645, I prefer the smaller camera, and putting up with the compromises from that. The one possible exception would be if I end up buying a 16MP square sensor as a stop-gap solution, in which case I might use it on a Hasselblad V camera, just for old time's sake. If they ever make a larger square sensor, I will likely look at how I can put either a 203FE or 6008i2/6008AF into action. The Hy6 is nice, but very pricy.
    If we see how sensors developped and the new large Leaf sensor I think there could be very well a large square sensor in maybe 2-3 years from now.
    Even if not, than there is the rotating back thing which I really love. Its so fast and easy and it lets me take advantage of the larger image circle.
    In the end, when bought in a package and seeing the total cost of the system I dont find the Hy6 that much more expensive.
    However I also was really tempted by the Hasselblad V system.
    The biggest disadvantage I see in the 6x6 systems is that they are somewhat heavier and larger (specially the lenses).
    If you go for a small square sensor like P20 or cfv you could still use your contax-no need for a 6x6, or do I misunderstand?
    However I have to say quit some times I have been happy to not have the smaller square sensor because I found that I can need the wider angle.

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    I think Guy was the closest! Just missed that one...
    The order is 1,2 and 4 are the 110mm and 3,5,6,7 is the lux.
    I agree that they are not all perfect examples or in similar situations, but my argument is not that they are identical, just that they are VERY similar in character and deployment. For their respective systems, they represent a super-fast short telephoto with great bokeh.

    Carsten -- your critical thinking paid off! I was lending my other Leica to my friend there, teaching him how to use it. It was a lot of fun. He was a natural (much to my chagrin...some of his shots were better than mine!).
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  44. #44
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

    Not bad for aging eyes. LOL I did not cheat either
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •