Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase One back & Eye Fi wireless card

Post Thanks / Like

Phase One back & Eye Fi wireless card

Hi,
    Does anyone knows if the Phase backs are compatible with Sandisk Eye Fi cards ?
    (meaning using such card in an IQ 1 serie and get preview on an iPad using Capture Pilot and no other device (computer).
    Will it work as a IQ 2 serie ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One back & Eye Fi wireless card

I doubt if it would be workable. I've used an EyeFi card in my Canon1DsIII for years, but it has two card slots, one CF and one SD. I shoot raw to the CF and small jpegs to the EyeFi SD.

As far as I know, all EyeFi cards are SD size, so you'll have to have a SD to CF adapter. The adapters I've seen are all Type II, so they're thicker than the standard CF card. Check your back to see if it can use a type II CF card.

If you get the card in the back, you'll end ip transmitting very large raw files to the iPad, so it will be very slow.

If you manage to get the raw file onto the iPad, you'll need a way to view it. I don't know if there is any program to do that. (I use ShutterSnitch as my iPad ap).

If you try it, let us know how it works.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No

If you want wireless review/control you'll need an IQ2.

Excuse brevity, it's Frigay night and I'm headed out for a drink.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Frigay night?" Do you mean another drink?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    I doubt if it would be workable. I've used an EyeFi card in my Canon1DsIII for years, but it has two card slots, one CF and one SD. I shoot raw to the CF and small jpegs to the EyeFi SD.

As far as I know, all EyeFi cards are SD size, so you'll have to have a SD to CF adapter. The adapters I've seen are all Type II, so they're thicker than the standard CF card. Check your back to see if it can use a type II CF card.

If you get the card in the back, you'll end ip transmitting very large raw files to the iPad, so it will be very slow.

If you manage to get the raw file onto the iPad, you'll need a way to view it. I don't know if there is any program to do that. (I use ShutterSnitch as my iPad ap).

If you try it, let us know how it works.
    Thanks for pointing the type II format issue, didn't realise that when thinking about the adaptor.
    Don't know if reviewing files on an iPod shouldn't be an issue as Capture Pilot can manage that with IQ2 or with IQ1 tethered to a computer. But maybe IQ2 series are capable of sending light preview files ?

Anyway Doug answer did kill the hope I gayss

Post Thanks / Like

the problem is that Capture Pilot will most likely only read what C1 sends it, or what an IQ2 sends it, and I am fairly sure that those will be specially rendered JPEGS. The IQ2 wireless option gets you thumbnails, then full image reduced to fit on iPad screen, then you select which area you want to see at higher levels of zoom and it gets rendered for you on demand. If I were Phase I would not be making it easy for an IQ1 owner to turn their back into a ersatz IQ2 merely by adding an EyeFI card....

The only way this would work would be if the someone wrote an iPad app that could take an entire 79mb .IIQ file and embedded JPEG and then render parts of it on the fly. And I do not expect that to happen any time soon.
    Last edited by tashley; 10th August 2013 at 15:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Asking myself if making new product series that are just nice upgrades of the former ones the best long term commercial strategy...