Site Sponsors

Thread: IRND

Post Thanks / Like

IRND

I recently heard about IRND , I also studied Schneider website's explanation.
    But it really new to me , anyone have experience on this IRND filter compared with normal ND when using digiback photography ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IRND

I just ordered some IRND (3-, 6-, and 10-stop) filters from Formatt-Hitech. It'll be a few weeks before they come in, but I'll try to post some comparison shots with non-IRNDs when I get them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes. They are to compensate for IR contamination. They don't completely solve the problem, but they help a great deal. Personally, I would get ND filters with an IR cut if I am shooting digital. While I can color balance with a regular ND filter, I still have a stronger response in the red channel and so the image is different and it changes with what is in the frame--foliage and stone are in the image, it can make getting good color really hard. For B&W, IR cut might be less important, but there will still be a shift in tones depending of the object, but whether it is better or worse to have IR, I am not sure.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might find this useful:
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...d-filters.html

I also use LEE filters for daytime and often combine a Big Stopper with the LEE Pro Glass .9 ND which also includes the IR cut.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    I just ordered some IRND (3-, 6-, and 10-stop) filters from Formatt-Hitech. It'll be a few weeks before they come in, but I'll try to post some comparison shots with non-IRNDs when I get them.
    Thanks a lot indeed, expecting your comparsion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Yes. They are to compensate for IR contamination. They don't completely solve the problem, but they help a great deal. Personally, I would get ND filters with an IR cut if I am shooting digital. While I can color balance with a regular ND filter, I still have a stronger response in the red channel and so the image is different and it changes with what is in the frame--foliage and stone are in the image, it can make getting good color really hard. For B&W, IR cut might be less important, but there will still be a shift in tones depending of the object, but whether it is better or worse to have IR, I am not sure.
    WIth IR contamination , less sharp & visible ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    You might find this useful:
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...d-filters.html

I also use LEE filters for daytime and often combine a Big Stopper with the LEE Pro Glass .9 ND which also includes the IR cut.
    IRND really necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    One more question , Can IR cut(IR UV CUT) filter work as UV protection filter & always mount on lens ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rollei6008i View Post
    One more question , Can IR cut(IR UV CUT) filter work as UV protection filter & always mount on lens ?
    You probably do not need a uv with digital, and frankly you are best served to shoot without filters unless you need them.
    The only exception to this is when you are shooting in a very dusty, blowing sand, or salt spray environment.
    My guess is with all of the uv or clear filters sold for "protection" ypu might as well be self-insured for the unlikely situation that it actually is useful.
    -bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also worth noting that UVIR hot mirror filters are seldom completely neutral in color either. I tried various flavors with my full spectrum D800 and they all had some color effect (typically slight cyan) although mostly neutralized by in camera white balance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Also worth noting that UVIR hot mirror filters are seldom completely neutral in color either. I tried various flavors with my full spectrum D800 and they all had some color effect (typically slight cyan) although mostly neutralized by in camera white balance.
    Neither are NDs I measured a bunch of them and they were all over the place.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No disagreement from me on that. All over the map.