The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Something from the rumour machine..

Qamaro

We'll the article states that Canon has already made an investment in a European MF company. What company is trying to do a CMOS sensor in MF and needs a new body to boot? Phase perhaps (see the link for the NL source - they seems to think so as well)?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
They could try to commoditize the Leica S. Basically pick up the design and patent portfolio, then make their own body and firmware around their own image processors, and design their own lenses. EF lenses could be used in crop mode(s) if they keep the register short (which wouldn't allow for full 645). This makes more sense than one of the box camera designs with a protruding rear back. Those would be a very hard sell.

Ben Rubinstein

I wonder which is shrinking faster though, compacts or digital MF? If I were canon I don't think I'd bother, I'd bring out the 46 megapixel whatevertheycallit and just sit back and enjoy the show.

Is this the rumored new Phase One camera? :eek:

Probably not likely, but it would be awesome.

I guess we're almost up to the point where there are only so many pixels you can cram into a 35mm sensor, the coming wave of 40mp+ DSLRs may likely be the last big push in resolution for the format.

RVB

Is this the rumored new Phase One camera? :eek:

Probably not likely, but it would be awesome.

I guess we're almost up to the point where there are only so many pixels you can cram into a 35mm sensor, the coming wave of 40mp+ DSLRs may likely be the last big push in resolution for the format.
I believe that the D7100 sensor scaled up to F.F is about 57mp...

I hope Canon do buy into phase or Hassy,with their technology we could see an amazing camera..

tsjanik

Related speculation: I wonder what would be on the horizon had Sony purchased Pentax rather than Konica-Minolta?

fotografz

After reading all the responses here, it now makes more sense why the MFD companies are struggling.

People do not seem to want idiosyncratic things anymore. They rationally want homogenization. An odd trait for a creative endeavor.

While it obviously is cost thing, it seems not many place any value what-so-ever on differentness ... which intensifies the cost disparity even more.

Kinda goes right along with what is happening in photography itself. Homogenization, sameness, a Borg collective of imagery.

Perhaps it is time to bail and go back to drawing and painting where the tools hold almost no sway over the creative output ... having remained basically the same since the days of cave painting ... sticks of burnt wood, colors from mother nature, and animal hair on a stick.
Everything except Acrylics ... Acrylics are the CMOS of the art world. :ROTFL:

- Marc

I believe that the D7100 sensor scaled up to F.F is about 57mp...
Better be shooting at f/5 or less unless you want diffraction mocking your resolution figure.

After reading all the responses here, it now makes more sense why the MFD companies are struggling.

People do not seem to want idiosyncratic things anymore. They rationally want homogenization. An odd trait for a creative endeavor.

While it obviously is cost thing, it seems not many place any value what-so-ever on differentness ... which intensifies the cost disparity even more.

Kinda goes right along with what is happening in photography itself. Homogenization, sameness, a Borg collective of imagery.

Perhaps it is time to bail and go back to drawing and painting where the tools hold almost no sway over the creative output ... having remained basically the same since the days of cave painting ... sticks of burnt wood, colors from mother nature, and animal hair on a stick.

- Marc
Autofocus that f'ing works is too much to ask?

I'm still on the MF fence, but I did just buy the new 24-70 II for my Canon... couldn't resist. (p.s. it's better than any primes I've tried in this range)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Marc,

Please be more specific. Not all "MFD companies" are struggling.

Sales, product releases, software progress, and general sentiment at Team Phase One are all very positive.

RVB

- Marc
This quote come's to mind Marc..

"But with the practice of photography came the sad knowledge that there is no royal road to the taking of good pictures. Although money might be lavishly spent in the purchase of costly apparatus, yet it was soon found that some knowledge of chemistry, and some artistic taste, together with practice in manipulation, and neatness and accuracy in working, were indispensable to success."

—W. Jerome Harrison, History of Photography, 1887"

Personally I like diversity,I dont want to live in a monchrom world..(excuse the pun.. :) ) and I like that Phase and Hassy etc are different to Canikon but I would like to see the tech that Canikon possesses applied to Medium format. for example Phase need a new body and it may as well be a very good one rather than an average one.. M.F needs to be at the cutting edge of tech if it wants to survive long term.

I Think the Leica S was a great piece of work, Leica got a lot of things right very quickly..I still have my H4d-50 and it is an idiosyncratic camera but I enjoy using it and the file's are superb.. if anything I would like to see the weight lowered with magnesium replacing the steel body.. I don't know if cmos is better than CCD at base iso.. but it would be nice if the choice was available in M.F..

I can't complain about A.F accuracy with either the S or H but it would be nice if they worked faster ...

Rob

pedro39photo

I believe that the D7100 sensor scaled up to F.F is about 57mp...QUOTE]

I think that we hit the wall with the D800 on the 36-39MP full 35mm sensor because of the difracttion.
My wife compact camera with small sensor and 16mp its a "fog" anything shoot more than f5.6, its scary to see the pictures at f11.

Thats why the "next trent" will be big sensors on small cameras...

Swissblad

I believe that the D7100 sensor scaled up to F.F is about 57mp...QUOTE]

I think that we hit the wall with the D800 on the 36-39MP full 35mm sensor because of the difracttion.
My wife compact camera with small sensor and 16mp its a "fog" anything shoot more than f5.6, its scary to see the pictures at f11.

Thats why the "next trent" will be big sensors on small cameras...
That could very well be the case..... interesting times.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While I agree that Canon could be interested in launching a system with a larger sensor, I can't see that they have much to gain from a cooperation with any existing supplier of MF cameras, except if they want access to an existing lens mount/customer base. They have all the competence in-house to develop sensor, camera body and lenses and would probably be more interested in following the path of the Leica S, thus generating the need for new Canon lenses and other accessories while at the same time ensuring that users need other Canon gear like speedlights etc.

Another thing to consider is that the EF mount has a diameter of 54 mm, 22% more than the F-mount which also accommodates a 35 mm sensor. In theory, that would indicate that Canon could increase the sensor size with the current lens mount with at least 22%, which would be around 44 x 29 mm, very close to the size of the Leica S sensor (45 x 30 mm). If they would do that is another question altogether, and there are probably good (optical) reasons why the Leica mount has a diameter of 80 mm. Or will Leica go for a larger sensor in the future?

My conclusion would be that, if Canon is going for a larger sensor, they will probably do it alone, like they have done more or less every other camera on their own, regardless of system.

fotografz

This quote come's to mind Marc..

"But with the practice of photography came the sad knowledge that there is no royal road to the taking of good pictures. Although money might be lavishly spent in the purchase of costly apparatus, yet it was soon found that some knowledge of chemistry, and some artistic taste, together with practice in manipulation, and neatness and accuracy in working, were indispensable to success."

—W. Jerome Harrison, History of Photography, 1887"

Personally I like diversity,I dont want to live in a monchrom world..(excuse the pun.. :) ) and I like that Phase and Hassy etc are different to Canikon but I would like to see the tech that Canikon possesses applied to Medium format. for example Phase need a new body and it may as well be a very good one rather than an average one.. M.F needs to be at the cutting edge of tech if it wants to survive long term.

I Think the Leica S was a great piece of work, Leica got a lot of things right very quickly..I still have my H4d-50 and it is an idiosyncratic camera but I enjoy using it and the file's are superb.. if anything I would like to see the weight lowered with magnesium replacing the steel body.. I don't know if cmos is better than CCD at base iso.. but it would be nice if the choice was available in M.F..

I can't complain about A.F accuracy with either the S or H but it would be nice if they worked faster ...

Rob
I'm in a similar camp that you are in Rob. I love diversity and choice. Idiosyncratic items have always been a source of fun and even joy of use despite not being in the mainstream of functionality, or as easy to master.

People have bitched about the bottom loading Leica M forever, yet I like it ... and with the film M, mastered the art of using it swiftly while shooting street and wedding candids. I like that Leica hasn't capitulated to the populist sentiment and kept the design and feel of the M consistent. Who knows what it would look like, or feel like in hand if they had given in (reminds me of a famous VW ad where all the public demands for change were added to the car which ruined its original simplicity and made it like every other car on the road).

I kind of liked some original Minolta innovations that bucked accepted designs. Konica/Minolta introduced sensor shift stabilization in mainstream cameras rather than optical stabilization, and while the debate rages as to which is best (probably Optical right now), the fact was/is that any focal length you mount to a steady-shot camera benefits ... including the lenses in most need of it like a 50/1.4, 85/1.4 or 135/1.8 in low light.

Unconventional thinking is what lead Hasselblad to True Focus. Simple concept, yet amazing in its functionality for those that take the time to master it. I wish ALL cameras had this feature.

And so on.

Like you, I am fine with the AF accuracy of the H and S cameras. I'm not sure Canon would bring anything to the party regarding AF speed with larger lenses requiring dead-on accuracy ... if that were true, then the 85/1.2-II wouldn't be so snail slow. For the way I use my S2P, I haven't been terribly inconvenienced by speed, and have learned techniques to better master it with moving subjects and the like. More use leads to better utilization. Practice seems a foreign concept anymore. People want to pick it up and have it do everything immediately.

"Different strokes for different folks" I guess ... except it seems to becoming ... "same strokes for all folks" these days.

I believe MFD CMOS is inevitable, and likely to be offered by Leica in the next S camera. I still do not like the CMOS solution in the new M, and unless that changes, I probably won't like it in a S. I should have kept my M9P.

As to MFD struggling ... I mean the category. One company may be holding its own and be "team" positive, but as a category it is obviously under fire. Cannibalizing sales one from the other is not growth. If Phase One were a raging success, the new camera would have been here some time ago, maybe even in version 2.0 by now. I'm sure I'll get blow-back on such statements, but the hand-writing is on the wall to anyone with-out a bias and self-interest at stake. Regarding MFD of any brand ... I personally hope for the best, but have prepared for the worse.

In conclusion, as Ellen says ... "Anyway".

- Marc

Last edited:

Swissblad

My conclusion would be that, if Canon is going for a larger sensor, they will probably do it alone, like they have done more or less every other camera on their own, regardless of system.
BUT - the rumour - and it's a rumour at the moment states:

According to a source at [NL] Canon is already investing heavily in a European medium format manufacturer.

So - it would seem - they are not going it alone.

I wonder if we are going to see the Contax resurrected?

In my view a very fine MF camera at the time.