The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone with a tech cam making a splash in the art world?

mmbma

most art reproduction you see today at major museums are done with a tech camera. The guggenheim uses a firm that use Alpa XY for example.

markmullen

Here in the UK Joe Cornish is using IQ backs on a Techno, I love his work and am proud to have a (very small) exhibition at his gallery at the moment.

hogweed

by chance discovered this today,
Magnum photographer Carl de Keyzer
Don't know if he's famous in the art world, in the journalistic corner he probably is.
I have all his books; back in the film days he used a Mamiya 7 (and a Plaubel if i'm correct). Now it's a P1.

teaser01 on Vimeo (don't understand a word, but i hope this documentary will be in english too)

Tom

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Gregory Crewdson has been using a tech camera on his latest projects. In fact, I've heard but can't verify that he's given up on film altogether.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Of course when posting images here in Dante's Inferno it is very important to post gear info so to enable others than your self to become broke :angel:

Remember "Brokes Have More Fun" :D
Well GetDPI is and was designed as a learning and sharing site. It's one reason I like to see what folks are shooting as it is a learning tool. With that you can go broke I admit. But it is a good reference for those that are learning and a good way to see what does what.

Pemihan

I know Guy, I was joking in case you missed it...

Peter

Well GetDPI is and was designed as a learning and sharing site. It's one reason I like to see what folks are shooting as it is a learning tool. With that you can go broke I admit. But it is a good reference for those that are learning and a good way to see what does what.

Last edited:

Shashin

I know one person that made a big slash with their tech cam. Can anyone remember the name of the member who dropped their back into water?

Ineteresting about Crewdson.

I just wandered through MoMA today. They have a group show of "contemporary" photography. In quotes becaus it dates from the present all the way back to Robert Franks's earliest post-movie work.

There were a couple of gigantic prints by a really interesting Canadian artist named Stan Douglas. His work is quite good (and diverse). Additionally, his prints were the most lifelike big prints I've ever seen. They were inkjets, probably 6 feet wide. No noise or other sign of film. If you stuck your nose in them it was just detail all the way down. No idea what he uses, unfortunately.

I know one person that made a big slash with their tech cam. Can anyone remember the name of the member who dropped their back into water?
I thought he was shooting a Hassie and his new hassie took a dip? I could be wrong or maybe I'm thinking of someone else! Camponigro?

Shashin

I think Michael McKenna lost a film Hasselblad on a shoot in Japan, but I am pretty sure a member dropped a back.

peterv

paulraphael;533687 There were a couple of gigantic prints by a really interesting Canadian artist named Stan Douglas. His work is quite good (and diverse). Additionally said:
And that's where photographers interested in this kind of IQ get curious and want to know what technique, equipment, work-flow was used to achieve this look.

Of course it's the photographer that makes the image and creativity is far more important than gear, blabla. We hear that all the time on these boards and it gets boring. It's the standard patronising answer and it's become worn out.

We should make a distiction between what the customer/art-buyer needs to know about the technicalities and what fellow photographers want to learn from eachother, which includes, gear, workflow, etc.

Paul, not directed at you, au contraire, your post made me curious.

rayyen

Back few years ago when I took photography a bit more serious than my point n shoot camera, I bought my first Leica, a second hand M8, then follow with Film Leica, screw mount Leica, Xpan, Rolleiflex TLR, Hasselblad V, Leica R, Mamiya 6MF, Ikonta IV, 4x5 ... now IQ & Alpa. For me, I enjoy my shooting by learning to shoot different subjects with different systems, portrait, street, wild life, birds, sports, landscape...

Agree with Guy,
"Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art."
It works on me ; )

But I have to confess that I'm also a gear lust ;p

Last edited: