The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Tilt/Swing Adapter with 32HR

I am about to replace my 36mm Switar with a 32HR since it works better with my IQ260. I am considering the Tilt/Swing adapter for it and I'm curious if anyone is using this combo and would care to comment on its design and usefulness. I wish it were a center tilt rather than a base tilt design. Does it require much refocus once you introduce a small tilt like 1 or 2 degrees? Does it stay put at 0 if that's where you want it?

Thanks!

f8orbust

The pictures I've seen (of the 17mm T/S mount, which is what the 32 would use) make it appear that the pivot point is centred, rather than at the base. Is this not the case?

The pivot is at the center, not the base.
Thanks guys, but what I was referring to is that axis of the pivot is at the base of the adapter (when the control is at the top, 12 o'clock). The top of the adapter moves forward, as the base of the adapter acts as the hinge. This compared to center tilt where by the lens would pivot around the horizontal axis of the lens (draw a line from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock). Base tilt often requires some refocusing and an adjustment in rise/fall since the lens is moving forward slightly and downward slightly. I always preferred view cameras with center axis tilt since its quicker to use. So I'm just curious how much this effects a short lens like the 32HR.

Thanks!

PeterL

The picture may be deceptive - as stated by Stephen, the pivot point is indeed at the center of the lens axis (as you prefer). The base of the adapter moves back, it's NOT a hinge point.

Cheers, -Peter

stephengilbert

The photo is misleading. When in the neutral position, the moving part of the mechanism (top and bottom) is equidistant from the base. In the tilted position shown, the top has moved away from the base, while the bottom has moved closer. The pivot is in the middle.

Look at the photos of ALPA's 34mm T/S adapter. They show it from the side in the neutral and tilted position, and even show the pivot point in the center: http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/lenses/macro-tilt-swing/alpa-tilt-swing-adapter-0-6-34mm.html

rayyen

I bought my HR32 with 17mm tilt adaptor not too long ago. I use it extensively during my recent Iceland holiday. One word, AWESOME, I love the picture, with tilt, u can get a really wide DOF. But the 32HR has a problem, cant use any filter holder at all when u have slight movement. I brought an extra size Lee Holder with "donut" ring for the HR32, but still have dark corner even with little movement. Eventually, a simple blue-tag solution solved the problem. I can move the 32 from one end to another on my Max now. Happy.

I bought my HR32 with 17mm tilt adaptor not too long ago. I use it extensively during my recent Iceland holiday. One word, AWESOME, I love the picture, with tilt, u can get a really wide DOF. But the 32HR has a problem, cant use any filter holder at all when u have slight movement. I brought an extra size Lee Holder with "donut" ring for the HR32, but still have dark corner even with little movement. Eventually, a simple blue-tag solution solved the problem. I can move the 32 from one end to another on my Max now. Happy.
Thanks Ray! I appreciate your thoughts on the combo. I did order it and now just have to wait a while for the lens. Seems pretty popular! I don't use many filters for my work, but that blue-tac idea is a good one.

rayyen

Jürgen,
Yes, like Greygrad said, it's blutack (instead of Blue-tag, hahaha)
And it's true, not elegant, but works : )