The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Solar powering Hähnel Twin V Pro charger

Pemihan

Anybody got any experience in using a solar panel thing to power the Hähnel Twin V Pro charger or maybe just the single version?

So far I have found this that might work: Universal Compact 10000mAh 2.1A Solar Energy-powered Rechargeable Power Bank + 10-in-1 Cable Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Anybody got a better solution they know work. It needs to be lightweight and fit in a backpack together with all the other necessities... I'm planning a two week trip in the back country and carrying enough batteries for the entire trip is not an option..

Peter

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
A company started by an acquaintance of mine seems to being doing a pretty good job developing portable solar power systems, and I've heard a lot of good things about their products, although I personally have no experience with them.

Most of their products seems to be geared to outdoor types, such as back country hiking/camping, including some designed to be worn over your backpack and charge while you hike.

Goal Zero

jerome_m

The problem with solar power is that there is not so much energy in light. For the intended Hähnel charger to work, you will need a solar panel of about the size of 3-4 A4 paper sheets and this panel will need to stay under direct sunlight. In practice, you will only be able to get direct sunlight 5-6 hours a day.

Basically, solar cells are usable if you camp in summer. For example, if you have a mobile home or caravan and can run some length of cable, so that the cells are in the sun and your caravan is in the shade (so that it won't be too hot...), the setup is great and will avoid using the car battery or a generator.

If you are thinking about hanging a panel on a backpack when walking, they are not so great.

Portable, foldable solar panels are also a lot less efficient than their advertised rating would let you believe. They rarely use top of the line cells and lose a lot of efficiency in their primitive electronics. They also lose lots of space around the cells for the folds.