Site Sponsors

Thread: Does Arca-Swiss glue their clamps to the heads nowadays?

Post Thanks / Like

Does Arca-Swiss glue their clamps to the heads nowadays?

I just got my Arca-Swiss D4 head minutes ago. I bought it with the classic screw clamp as it's cheaper and I was going to replace it with a RRS quick-release clamp anyway, as we all know Arca make great heads but their QR system is not particularly good, not near as good as RRS.

However, the bolt sits so hard, I can't make it come loose, so I'm suspecting that it's glued or something. I'm going to contact the dealer tomorrow, but maybe someone on this forum already knows this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Does Arca-Swiss glue their clamps to the heads nowadays?

There's a thread about it somewhere, but yes I think they started to glue the clamps...

Peter
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Arrrgggghhhhhhh!! The classic screw clamp I just bought is rather bad. Well, it works, but the two-story clamp and the fiddly small knob is not great to work with when putting up a 4 kg camera in -15C with gloves on your hands.

If there is a trick to remove the glued clamp, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, but it is dependent on the age of the product.

The following are the replies I had from the well known UK Arca-Swiss dealer I bought the assembly from about swapping Arca-Swiss clamps on an Arca-Swiss P0 head.

(1)"Can you please tell us when you bought the Arca head you are going to use this product on. We will need to check with Arca to see if they are compatible as at a currently un-specified point in time they began to use industrial adhesive to fix the top plate bolts to the heads. This would prevent you from removing your current top plate and render this product useless”.

(2)”I am sorry to say that if the head is that new then it is most likely glued. You may have severe difficulty getting the bolt out to replace the top. Arca originally said they glued them to prevent the screws from coming loose, but the truth is they do not like people putting third party tops on their heads. The glues is incredibly tough; some people have managed to force them apart, but there is a risk of damaging the head in the process”.

(3)”Arca have come back to us this morning and said that they are pretty sure that with the age of the head you have it should be using the old regular lock-tight glue that they always used. The new stronger glue was apparently put into use more recently than March 2012. This should mean your bolt can come undone safely with enough pressure.
    "

Try as I might I couldn't shift the screw, it’s likely it did have the stronger adhesive and I eventually sent the head and clamp assembly to Arca-Swiss via the dealer and had the clamp replaced with a different model Arca-Swiss clamp within a matter of days.

If you have the aircraft quality adhesive on your assembly you will almost certainly have problems with removal.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd check with your AS dealer first, but the D4 is probably a similar situation as with the newer Cubes, in which Loctite is used. To remove the head, you need to use a heat gun. Definitely check with AS.... Makes me glad my Cube is an "older" Anniversary edition. I'm just lovin' my corrugated box over that coach leather case.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm waiting for the reply of the dealer and if I can't replace it I think I'm going to send back the head, if not just to show my disappointment. This is not acceptable.

I've heard some glues are meltable, ie you put a soldering iron on the screw head and heat it up and the unscrew it. I would guess the factory would have to have some method to dismount it for repairs and such? Permanent glue just seems dumb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"[T]he truth is they do not like people putting third party tops on their heads."

If this is true, it's a sad commentary on Arca.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. See also this post, which shows the struggle that can ensue when trying to replace an A/S clamp.

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh... Arca-Swiss can't make clamps, and the other brands can't make geared heads. Previously you could get the best from both worlds ie arca + rrs (which "everyone" seemed to do), but now it seems Arca has got jealous and blocked that opportunity for users . That is what I would call a bad move(tm). I'm likely going to send this back, if I have to suffer with Arca clamps I probably would not suffer with the classic. Not sure though, the other clamps look bad too, and my Linhof Techno base is big and flat so you don't get much space to fiddle around with your fingers under it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greygrad View Post
    Indeed. See also this post, which shows the struggle that can ensue when trying to replace an A/S clamp.
    It's worth dropping Don a note (and I think Phil Lindsay has experience here too) if you're going to try and use a heat gun on your D4. I'd probably drop a note to Rod Klukas directly.

To be fair to AS, it should also be noted that AS and Rod Klukas took very good care of Don.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, I might just get used to it as well after the initial disappointed has settled. I've looked at videos of the other clamps and it seems like for a camera like the Techno the classic is the least bad clamp afterall. The important part is that the head it's not sloppy with the weight on top like my old Manfrotto junior (on which I had installed a custom clamp by the way). The head itself seems excellent.

I'll certainly complain though so they get to know that they through this move disappoint some of their users.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair my dealer and Arca-Swiss acted really swiftly and went beyond the call of duty in addressing my problem and at no charge to me despite being out of warranty. I'm more than happy with the Arca-Swiss head/clamp combination I now have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    To be fair my dealer and Arca-Swiss acted really swiftly and went beyond the call of duty in addressing my problem and at no charge to me despite being out of warranty. I'm more than happy with the Arca-Swiss head/clamp combination I now have.
    Which clamp do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quickset Fliplock, although I wouldn't recommend it when using thick gloves!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with the classic clamp. It actually does work with my leather mittens, I just tried it. Double-speed threading would have been nice though, takes some turning to lock in place. An advantage of a classic screw clamp I can pretend I'll be using is that the long plate I have then can work as a macro rail with tiny unscrewing and fastening to make minor adjustments.

Ideally I'd like to have both a flip-lock and a screw clamp and change depending on what I'm going to do. For more fast-paced work I'd use a flip-lock, for more all-around and long hikes I'd use a fail-safe and macro-friendly screw clamp. But that requires that the clamp can be removed and is not glued in place... duh! It's a fat minus for an otherwise excellent product, and a minus for the company not having more trust in their customers. Being able to change clamps to whatever you like ought to be a standard feature of any high-quality head.

BTW, with the D4 head I just sliced off 680 grams from my tripod head (!), that makes a real difference when hiking.
    Last edited by torger; 29th August 2013 at 13:45.

Post Thanks / Like

AS is an evil company, you really should have sticked to Linhof and got their 3D micro head

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just take a blow torch to it and heat it up for a few minutes. The glue will release pretty easily. I tried this on a RRS thread when I installed a leveling base and it worked like a charm.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    AS is an evil company, you really should have sticked to Linhof and got their 3D micro head
    Yes, glueing to stop a well-known and popular user modification surely must be a work of evil

I've looked at the Linhof 3D micro, and it seems to be a nice product, but the D4 is better for me because it has a much wider range of movement, and can do even vertical shots without L bracket. Also, the 3D micro head has it's clamp integrated into the head so it can for sure not be replaced, but it looks better than Arca's. The D4 has also the feature that gears can be unlocked, which I like, both for making setup quicker and use it as a "poor man's wiberley head" with my lighter telephoto lenses when I use the head with my Canon system.

What I don't like about Arca's screw clamp is that it is two story (makes blind install more difficult, and with a wide base like on the Techno you don't really see the clamp when putting the camera there), narrow (also bad for blind installs), tiny knob which is not rubberized and perhaps most severe drawback: it's ugly

However, there is one good reason to keep the original clamp worth noting too: the panorama scale on the top is not complete on it's own (like on the 3D micro), but the "arrow" pointing out where on the scale you are (actually a small metal pin) is integrated in the clamp. So if you change the clamp -- no panorama scale.

(The bottom pano has no scale at all, panos have a compact design which make scale placement impossible, which one may consider to be a weakness of this head).
    Last edited by torger; 29th August 2013 at 23:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    Just take a blow torch to it and heat it up for a few minutes. The glue will release pretty easily. I tried this on a RRS thread when I installed a leveling base and it worked like a charm.

Mark
    Might try that, I've heard though that depending on glue type the heat required may be very high, like 500C.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentle sarcasm apart, I'm certain your dealer could've ordered the D4 with no clamp mounted. AS is typically open to customization requests, they even produce parts on demand.

That being said the 'classic' and 'monoballfix' clamps are clearly not convenient on a Techno, I've similar issues with my folding 4x5. As soon as I could live without the D4 for a couple of days next winter I'll send it to AS and ask they take that clamp off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    Gentle sarcasm apart, I'm certain your dealer could've ordered the D4 with no clamp mounted. AS is typically open to customization requests, they even produce parts on demand.

That being said the 'classic' and 'monoballfix' clamps are clearly not convenient on a Techno, I've similar issues with my folding 4x5. As soon as I could live without the D4 for a couple of days next winter I'll send it to AS and ask they take that clamp off.
    Maybe I could have ordered without clamp, but they don't have that package on the web. I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I think they also did sell it without clamp in the beginning. I'd guess the glueing and not selling without clamp is some business decision rather than technical.

Anyway, I've now decided to keep it as is and go on with the classic screw clamp for some time at least. A third-party screw clamp would lose the usefulness of the pano scale on top as you lose the arrow pointing out the position. Not too bad for me as I would rarely use it (I generally don't stitch), but it's a "nice to have" thing which make the case stronger for using the original clamp. I did not know this before I got a close look on the head.

The screw clamp is a bit slow to work with, but for my uses it is better than the two other Arca-Swiss alternatives. For flip lock I'd want a huge lever that can be operated with gloves, like many of the third-party clamps (but not Arca-Swiss), and I'd prefer a tuned system without calibration screw like the RRS (I already have an RRS plate on the camera).

Post Thanks / Like

If enough people send Arca a clear message that their non-removable glued-on clamp is dissuading people from buying a D4 in the first place - and that negative recommendations are going into circulation in the fora where their products are discussed - they'll soon change their gluing practices.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    If enough people send Arca a clear message that their non-removable glued-on clamp is dissuading people from buying a D4 in the first place - and that negative recommendations are going into circulation in the fora where their products are discussed - they'll soon change their gluing practices.

Ray
    Mu understanding was that Arca was receiving back cubes where people botched the removal of the original and replacement with third party clamps. They still respected the warranty, (which is amazing) and repaired them. Then they started gluing them down.
    The D4 came out about the same time they started gluing them down. When we have camera / tripod makers not respecting warranties - I think AS was pretty much a stand up guy.

I use the cube with the flip lock (also have 3 RRS clamps 2 NovoFlex clamps) I do not have the night mares with the AS Flip Lock others have complained about. I do suppose as Torger has mentioned with gloves on it would be harder. But I would take my gloves off when changing a 20,000 - 40,000 USD piece of equipment

That's my 2 cents

Phil
    Last edited by alajuela; 30th August 2013 at 16:12.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I found out the hard way that AS now uses some sort of super loctite on their heads. My Cube I got several years ago had something on it however after using a little gentle pressure I was able to remove and replace the top. No fuss.

The D4 is a totally different situation (and to the same degree I guess all AS heads) as they changed the type of loctite used. You now have to really heat the head in order to remove the screw. By heating I mean a lot of heat is needed; a hair dryer won't work (I tried). I was able to remove the screw only after using a heat gun to the point the head got too hot to touch.

In all fairness I will say the customer service of AS is outstanding as I ended up blotching the job on my D4 and sent it in for repair with them fixing what I did at no charge, even picking up the return return shipping.

So, based on my own personal experience I'd say removing the screw/bolt out of a newer AS head isn't for the faint of heart. You'll need a heat gun, and pot holders to protect your hands and you should do it somewhere where you won't catch anything on fire from all the heat.

Don

I also no longer have the D4 after coming to the conclusion that nothing beats the Cube!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

There are special techniques to remove loctite bolts using special heating tools, I have a friend that can do this kind of work. I'll stay low for a while though and keep it as is. The screw clamp does work with my winter gloves when I tested so it's okay, just not as good as some third-party alternatives out there.
    (My view on safety concerning handling equipment with gloves is that if you cannot take risks and use your gear in the conditions you live in because the gear is too expensive, then you have the wrong gear, or the wrong insurance .)

I understand that the company has nice service and all, but that does not make them immune from criticism when they do a bad move, and glueing the clamps is exactly that. That people would damage the head for removing the clamp sounds absurd, it sounds just as absurd that the would glue the head to the tripod because people would damage the head when unscrewing it. Earlier D4 units did not have any glueing, it's a single bolt which fits a standard 3.5mm hex key and it would easily be removed (now it's glued), got that info from a user over at Lula. Possibly the Cube has some other strange design in their clamp fastening that can cause accidental damage, haven't seen the Cube, but clearly there is no such issue with the D4. The true reason is more probably a business decision as I see it. More money to earn and stronger positioning of the brand if forcing the original clamps on users.

The original clamps are not really bad but when you have the best head in your hands the urge to attach the best clamp on it to get an unbeatable combination is pretty strong

(Concering Cube vs D4 the strenghts of the D4 is that it's more all-around and quicker to work with thanks to the unlocking knobs. The main weakness I'd guess is that the gears are less smooth to work with when you have heavy gear on top as the roll/pitch axis are inside the head rather than near the camera mass center as for the Cube.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Sigh... Arca-Swiss can't make clamps, and the other brands can't make geared heads. Previously you could get the best from both worlds ie arca + rrs (which "everyone" seemed to do),
    Call me odd, but I have no problem with the Arca swiss quick release mount on my cube, I like it better than the RRS version I have on my BH-55. Arca's is smaller, the handle doesn't protrude when it's closed.

However, I don't use it as suggested, I have it tight enough the camera isn't adjustable when in the middle position. So I open it all the way, put in the camera and shut it. The little thumb slide is awkward sometimes, but never really a problem.
    wayne
    My gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can only agree to Wayne's comment . I get along very well with the AS
    Fliplock system . No need for any other system .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As an alternative - completely different from most of the posts above. Just switch to the Slidefix top, much lower profile, not "two-levels", very easy to use, even with gloves (admittedly this I have not tried personally, but I can not see it being a problem - with the type of gloves I would wear). It cost me about $150 in new sildefix plates for my two Alpa's (TC and STC) - works perfectly fine for me on a D4. Just a thought......

Cheers, -Peter
    Alpa TC • STC | IQ140 | 24XL • 35XL • 120N-ASPH
    www.peterlomdahl.com

Post Thanks / Like

There are many personal preferences. I like open systems that allows customization and mixing several brands. This is an attractive property of medium format photography in general by the way. So I think it's a bit boring when brands withdraws opportunities for customization like Arca-Swiss has done here.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In order to soften the new thread sealant used by ARCA I had to use an industrial hot air gun positioned within an inch or so of the bolt. In order to avoid heat damage to the surrounding parts, I wrapped wet rags around the clamp. It's a challenging procedure but necessary because the Arca Service Center would not install a RRS Clamp on a D4 Head that I had sent in for repair. I suspect the ARCA Factory prohibited the repair facility from performing the installation.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Call me odd, but I have no problem with the Arca swiss quick release mount on my cube, I like it better than the RRS version I have on my BH-55. Arca's is smaller, the handle doesn't protrude when it's closed.

However, I don't use it as suggested, I have it tight enough the camera isn't adjustable when in the middle position. So I open it all the way, put in the camera and shut it. The little thumb slide is awkward sometimes, but never really a problem.
    I too prefer the Arca clamp compared to the RRS lever clamps. I like the fact that I can set the tension, as Wayne showed me after an expensive experience. Having a tighter fit is a good insurance when there's the equivalent of a nice BMW sitting on top of your tripod.

I'm a big fan of the RRS gear overall but I personally haven't had any issues with the Arca clamps once you know how to use them properly. However, Arca don't help themselves with that due to their p$$$ poor instructions.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it couple times (a D4 and a cube). It's best to have 2 person, one holding wrench (a small extension would be helpful) and another holding a torch/heat gun (see attached picture) pointing at the screw. As the screw heating up, turn the wrench. It should loosen up and it's actually not that tight.

Post Thanks / Like

One trick I've heard is that instead of putting direct heat on the bolt-head with a torch, you use the torch to heat up a metal rod almost until it's red and then you use that to heat the bolt-head. That way you avoid heating up the surrounding area unnecessarily with a torch.

When asking around about this I've heard various claims that Arca-Swiss has gradually made it harder and harder to remove the clamp, and that the latest ones it should be impossible. That sounds strange I think, and I've sent Rod Klukas a message and hope he can jump in and make some "official statement" on what the status is.

If it's some sort of loctite and reversible I can go along and think it's okay, then you limit customization to only the ones that really wants to and takes the effort to find out how to remove a loctite screw. If it's really irreversible these days it would be sad though, because then you would not even be able to send it in and have Arca-Swiss change between their own clamps, say if I want to change my classic screw clamp to a monobollfix.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems you don't really now the 'spirit' at AS. I'd be surprised they don't send you another head with a different clamp, provided it's really impossible to take it off nowadays.

Again, it was only a matter of :
    1- reading about the mod you intended to do before you buy : stronger loctite, other owners experience, etc
    2- ask your dealer to order a head with no clamp mounted
    Simple as that, really.

I was totally standing behind your complaints regarding the Aptus back not operating in the cold, but I don't think you're being fair here.
    My 0.02

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't disagree more.

If there was a problem with A/S's (or any other manufacturer's) clamps falling off, then sure, loctite them (glue them? Never).

But, there isn't.

A/S didn't do this previously, RRS don't, Manfrotto don't, Kirk don't, Gitzo don't.

You get the picture.

The only conclusion you're left with is that A/S have started to do this - no doubt under the guise of 'security' - to prevent you from dropping $ on one of their competitor's clamps.

It's not about asking your dealer to 'order a different clamp' - it's about having the choice now, next month or next year - to fit whatever the hell you want on top. These things cost $$$, and the thought of not being able to customise it to whatever plate you are using, at any point in the future, is nonsense.

Post Thanks / Like

Then we disagree the most, am fine with that ))
    I totally get the picture, and ordering a head with no clamp lets you customize it as you wish in the future, so...

If Rod Klukas doesn't chime in I'll try and call Martin Vogt this week.

Post Thanks / Like

I did read and ask before buy , not just enough... I didn't realize they had changed the mounting, and those I asked didn't know either. They'd got the gear ~2011 and then they just unscrewed it with a 3.5mm hex key and that was it. I intended to start with the original screw clamp and change later on (unless I would start to like it), so buying without was not really in my plan.

What I should have done is ask the dealer directly, but you can always send gear back if not pleased and you cannot be sure you've asked everything there's generally always a few surprises left. I was considering to send it back, but after some consideration and testing I've decided that the original clamp is "good enough" for me, and the fact that you need the original clamp to have a working panorama scale is also a factor that makes the case stronger for keeping the original part. That scale is not too important for me personally though as I don't stitch much, but for those that do it's important.

They had the clamp user-removable and re-attachable in the past, and there was no real reason to not keep it that way. But anyway, if they do sell it without clamp (they don't on the web) and they do allow sending in to change or remove clamp I agree that it's put in a different light, then you can say it's unnecessarily cumbersome but not really closed. I'm trying to get confirmation from Arca-Swiss and/or dealer but has not yet had any response. Using all the force I have and still not being able to release a bolt does affect my temper so my criticism may sound harsher than it is .

I'm hoping to get some answers from Arca-Swiss officials, and then I'll make sure it's copied to this thread so it becomes a useful resource for future buyers. Changing clamps is afterall a very popular user modification of tripod heads overall, not just Arca-Swiss. I had my clamp changed for my old Manfrotto head for example (yes, it was user changable).

Post Thanks / Like

Based upon the Arca Service Center's refusal to install a RRS Clamp on my D4, I would be surprised if Arca Swiss would sell a Cube or D4 without a AS Clamp already installed. Has anyone ever tried to order a "clampless" AS Head?
    The idea of using a red hot steel rod to heat the bolt as an alternative to using a heat gun certainly is worth trying but I suspect that it may require numerous attempts. Has anyone been successful with this approach?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to order a "clampless" AS Head?
    I've never seen it as an option.

Anyone bought a lens on an A/S board (e.g. R-Line)? If so, you'd better check that the retaining ring on the Copal shutter hasn't been 'Loctited'. Wouldn't want to make it too easy for you to move to Alpa, Cambo, Linhof etc. now would we?

Post Thanks / Like

I got this from Rod K:

Currently the QR's are attached via the Screw visible on top of QR as always. However the factory now uses a very strong Loctite type adhesive that is not user releaseable.
    Precision Camera Works can, for a fee, remove the QR and change to another of ours
    without voiding your warranty on the head. ([email protected])
    Previous to beginning of 2013, a user could perhaps have removed the QR, but we had many users who damaged their heads in doing so, both removing the QR and using the wrong screw to replace as each QR requires a different length screw. As this was not a manufacturers defect we could not honor this as a warranty repair, although in some cases we did. We will no longer warranty this type of damage. So the policy was changed.
    I hope this clarifies the situation.
    I was unfortunately a bit unclear in my question so I did not get an answer to if it's possible to just get it removed (get it back clamp-less) or if one could get someone (ie PrecisionCameraWorks if in US) to attach a third-party clamp there or if that would void warranty. I invited him to this thread, we'll see if he arrives to answer any further questions.

It seems like anyone with good heating gear and know-how could remove it, but it's not for the general user to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

So the Arca Service Center is only permitted to remove the A/S Clamp and replace it with ANOTHER A/S Clamp for a service fee. The situation is very sad becasue the Arca Service Center has to go the trouble of removing the original A/S Clamp (probably using the same heating technique discussed previously) but they are prohibited from installing a non-A/S clamp. It seems that A/S may be interested in preventing the installation of RRS Clamps - maybe A/S is just jealous of the RRS Clamp Design?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe A/S as a small company is just p****d with RRS/Kirk/Acratech/Novoflex et al in general for being in the Arca-Swiss compatible business and doing rather well or better at it. That said, I'm sure that they're all really upset with the other clones out there now such as Sunwayphoto, Sirui, Feisol, and all the others.

Btw, I must admit that I've never seen an option to buy an A/S head without a clamp either. If it exists, I'd certainly buy that version of the D4 and then choose my prefered clamp for the job.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought my P0 without a clamp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How about a D4 or Cube?