The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya RZ67 140mm vs 150mm lens

segraves

Hello all,

I very recently purchased a Phase One P65+ for use with my Mamiya RZ67 kit. It feels great to pull the old workhorse out of the glue factory and get her going again. Oh how I've missed the feel of its rack and pinion focus knobs. My Canons are fantastic, but the big P65 file for my ad jobs is fantastic.

Anyhow, I have a 140mm macro lens in my kit and am happy with it. Curious about the 150mm lens and its sharpness. By chance has anyone tested the two lenses side by side for quality and sharpness? The 140mm is a great piece of glass but how is the 150mm?

Thanks for your time.

Gary

Interesting as I was just thinking about this yesterday evening! I haven't used either unfortunately, but from what buzz I've managed to pull the 150mm is very good indeed. To anyone who has used both, how does longitudinal chromatic aberration compare? These are the green fringes on contrasty edges in an out of focus background, alternatively purple fringes in front. Like this:

BTW a longer lens which I have used and is truly exceptional in every way is the 210mm APO. Skip the 180.

segraves

I just bought a new 150mm. Fortunately for RZ users is you can find so much of it available for pennies on the dollar. Once I get it I'll compare the two lenses and let you know what I think. I won't be able to give any highly technical and scientific explanations as I try not to fill my head with this stuff but I'll let you know which lens I prefer.

SahotaR

I don't own 140 but 150 is a very sharp lens. Below is a scan of very first film I put thro RZ and 150mm, hope it helps.

Sahota

MaxKißler

Hello Gary,

it all depends on how you use these lenses. I had both and prefered the 140mm Macro.
The 140mm Macro has a very flat field and therefore good resolution throughout the entire frame even wide open. Of course only when you remember to set the floating elements on this lens correctly (the old and the new version of this lens have FLE) which can be distracting sometimes.
The 150mm is very sharp in the center and noticably looses resolution towards the edges of the frame wide open. If you shoot both lenses stopped down to f11 in controlled environment, you probably won't see any difference. I mostly did so and kept the 140mm as it seemed to be the more versatile lens.

Of course the 150mm is nearly one stop faster so if shallow DOF portraits are your thing you might want to go for the 150mm.