The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod / Tech question

alajuela

Hi

Need some suggestions,

Looking for a lighter set up to use with my Cambo RS - Lenes 28mm thru 120mm. (and possibly an AS F Camera)

I am using the RRS Versa TVC- 33 / three section w/ leveling base and the AS Cube. Is a great set up but is heavy and always have too much stuff.

Don't want compromise stability or quality.

I have a Gitzo GT2531EX 6X Carbon Fiber Explorer Tripod and would consider getting the AS D4 - is this viable?

---- Mistake I have the Gitzo GT 2531 --

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:

Shashin

I use the equivalent of the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 three-section tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 for my Pentax 645D with focal lengths up to 300mm. I basically used this tripod (my model is called the Carbone 441 and I replaced the standard center column with the short version) with my Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612 with focal lengths up to 150mm. That should carry a Cambo without much difficulty. I am happy to carry this tripod all day over all kinds of terrain.

I have no idea about your Gitzo, but I have an old Gitzo Reporter I carried in the mountains. It was good because it was light, but it was always too short.

I would take an Arca Swiss P0 over a D4. It is lighter and more compact. I have no problems doing five minute exposures with the P0 on my tripod.

jagsiva

Tough to give up the cube. I have the 34L with cube and 24L with RRS B40. The 24L/B40 combo is tiny compared to the 34L/Cube, but quite stable, and folds quite compact.

alajuela

Tough to give up the cube. I have the 34L with cube and 24L with RRS B40. The 24L/B40 combo is tiny compared to the 34L/Cube, but quite stable, and folds quite compact.
Hi

Thanks

I would not give up my RRS / Cube set up - it's too good. But need some thing that is lighter and still do the job when walking about. I am wondering if is not a bit over kill at least for the the RS. The F Line AS, still might need it.

Thanks

Phil

alajuela

I use the equivalent of the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 three-section tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 for my Pentax 645D with focal lengths up to 300mm. I basically used this tripod (my model is called the Carbone 441 and I replaced the standard center column with the short version) with my Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612 with focal lengths up to 150mm. That should carry a Cambo without much difficulty. I am happy to carry this tripod all day over all kinds of terrain.

I have no idea about your Gitzo, but I have an old Gitzo Reporter I carried in the mountains. It was good because it was light, but it was always too short.

I would take an Arca Swiss P0 over a D4. It is lighter and more compact. I have no problems doing five minute exposures with the P0 on my tripod.
Hi Will

Made mistake on OP is not the EX - EX is good for marco -

I will try and compare the spec of Carbone 441 with the Gitzo GT 2531 which is rated at Load 12kg, 3 sections and weights 3 lbs.

This is for City shooting - I'm in Shanghai -- Gotta get lighter. Not getting younger

Thanks

Phil

cs750

I am currently using the Cube with a RRS TQC-14 Quick-Column Series 1 Tripod and with a RMdi technical camera under circumstances where I need to travel lite (usually by plane); technically, I have placed a 1" pvc spacer on the quick column so as to raise it high enough off the base to accommodate the Cube. When I can do so, I use a heavier tripod. I rarely have an exposure longer than 15 seconds and have not noted any reduction in sharpness using the TQC-14. I am 5' 8" and rarely need to extend the quick column very high. I do excercise greater care in positioning the tripod because it is very light. This tripod is rated at 25 lbs and you might consider it for circumstances where you need to travel lite. Charles

alajuela

I am currently using the Cube with a RRS TQC-14 Quick-Column Series 1 Tripod and with a RMdi technical camera under circumstances where I need to travel lite (usually by plane); technically, I have placed a 1" pvc spacer on the quick column so as to raise it high enough off the base to accommodate the Cube. When I can do so, I use a heavier tripod. I rarely have an exposure longer than 15 seconds and have not noted any reduction in sharpness using the TQC-14. I am 5' 8" and rarely need to extend the quick column very high. I do excercise greater care in positioning the tripod because it is very light. This tripod is rated at 25 lbs and you might consider it for circumstances where you need to travel lite. Charles
Thanks Charles - It sounds like my Gitzo compares favorably with the RRS TQC-14 - I am 5'10 and usually I find I rarely extend any of my tripods completely, as most of my shooting is NOT in the field but on level ground,

Also found I like to always consider the lower perspective. This sounds like a good alternative for walking about and / or biking. Good to know you are satisfied with this set up under the right circumstances.

Thanks

Phil

kdphotography

Phil,

I'm using the RRS TVC-24 as my lightweight tripod with the Cambo WRS (and Phase DF). It's usually paired with the Cube. (I use the RRS quick release which allows me to easily swap out different heads). I think the D4 will shave some weight and also may be slightly slimmer in profile than the Cube.

If I really want a lighter hiking solution, I can swap out and simply use the RRS PCL-1 clamp and RRS leveling base as my head---though I'd rather not forego the Cube.

Ken

alajuela

Phil,

I'm using the RRS TVC-24 as my lightweight tripod with the Cambo WRS (and Phase DF). It's usually paired with the Cube. (I use the RRS quick release which allows me to easily swap out different heads). I think the D4 will shave some weight and also may be slightly slimmer in profile than the Cube.

If I really want a lighter hiking solution, I can swap out and simply use the RRS PCL-1 clamp and RRS leveling base as my head---though I'd rather not forego the Cube.

Ken
Thanks Ken
Weight wise compared to my Gitzo I would be going up only .2 lbs. but at a cost of about 1,000 usd for "another" new tripod.

The TVC - 24 has higher load than the Gitzo, which is more secure and really do like the RRS TVC-33 tripod setup I have with leveling base / cube - so easy / fast to zero everything out. I am anal like that and dialing it in is so cool. :angel:

The TVC - 24 might be better for the DF (and the AS F line) also -- so far I am leaning towards getting the D4 -- then make a decision about the Gitzo (which I have) and the TVC - 24 to have a complete lighter weight kit.

Decisions $$$$$ Decisions $$$$ Decisions $$$ :banghead:

Thanks

Phil

Ken_R

Hi, I have the Gitzo GT2530 which is basically identical to yours. It is a very stable tripod and my favorite Gitzo. (I have three). I use it with a BH55 or smaller ball head and it is a superb setup with my Arca Swiss rm3di or my Canon's. It is my tripod of choice to take hiking. The AS D4 should make a great team with the Gitzo.

I also love the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp. I use it one every head I own.

alajuela

Hi, I have the Gitzo GT2530 which is basically identical to yours. It is a very stable tripod and my favorite Gitzo. (I have three). I use it with a BH55 or smaller ball head and it is a superb setup with my Arca Swiss rm3di or my Canon's. It is my tripod of choice to take hiking. The AS D4 should make a great team with the Gitzo.

I also love the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp. I use it one every head I own.
Thanks Ken

This is good to know

This is the way I am leaning at the moment. The Gitzo 3521 was my first "modern" tripod (with the Novoflex Classic Ball 3 and RRS plates) and it has served me well.
I have to impose some self discipline and stop packing the "kitchen sink" . The truth is every time I take less the more I enjoy.

I think start with the D4 - then see.

Thanks

Phil

Shashin

Hi Will

Made mistake on OP is not the EX - EX is good for marco -

I will try and compare the spec of Carbone 441 with the Gitzo GT 2531 which is rated at Load 12kg, 3 sections and weights 3 lbs.

This is for City shooting - I'm in Shanghai -- Gotta get lighter. Not getting younger

Thanks

Phil
The Carbone 441 was replaced with the 055PRO series. It is rated for 8kg.

alajuela

The Carbone 441 was replaced with the 055PRO series. It is rated for 8kg.
Thanks Will

That's good news!! I think I'll start with my Gitzo I already have if this is good for you with your kit, then based on all the feed back, and others using their techs, the actual tripod is nothing to worry about.
On less thing to get now, got too much!! need more good images!!!!
Thanks for following up
Phil

Pemihan

Anyone got hiking experience with the RRS 24L?

Recently bought the RRS 34L when my Gitzo broke during a trip in Oregon. It's a fantastic tripod albeit somewhat heavy for hiking (for my taste)
So I'm thinking to get a RRS 24L also as I like to have the possibility to extend the legs more when standing on a hillside or similar.

The idea of skipping the ball head and instead just have a levelling base + pano clamp sounds great...

Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use the RRS 24L with a AS Z1 double pan head. I use it for everything. It's maybe a little heavy for a REAL hiking tripod but its not bad either. I could lighten the load with maybe just just a leveling base and clamp as the Z1 is about as heavy as the cube. With a tech cam that would be a good setup and lighter. Frankly I have one tripod and I chose this as it. One needs to remember a 2 series RRS is equivalent to a 3 series Gitzo. The numbers can be confusing between them.

alajuela

This is getting more and more tempting - I think I'll get the D4 first and then see, I will be back in the States in November, then see about calling RRS. :facesmack: