Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

  1. #1
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Schneider 2X Teleconverter for Phase One Ecosystem

    Quick Summary:
    - for the Team Phase One platform (Mamiya, Leaf, Schneider, Phase One)
    - designed for / compatible with the 240LS, 150LS, 150D
    - manual focus only
    - reduces aperture by two stops (as with any 2x convertor)
    - shipping to begin in a few weeks
    - $1990

    Digital Transitions will of course be doing it's own testing and evaluation when we receive our first one, and will have it for rental, demo, and sales. If you have any questions in the meanwhile feel free to post them and we'll get them answered for you.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  2. #2
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    $1990. *ouch*

    I can't wait to use Graham's....

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    No 1.4x TC? I figure that would have been a more popular option given that 1.4's degrade image quality far less then 2x TCs, at least going by experience with every 35mm TC ever made ever.
    Unless there already is one I'm not aware of.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ondebanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    No 1.4x TC? I figure that would have been a more popular option given that 1.4's degrade image quality far less then 2x TCs, at least going by experience with every 35mm TC ever made ever.
    Unless there already is one I'm not aware of.
    You're right, there is no 1.4x TC yet, despite frequent calls for one from the user base...and why they went with another manual focus 2x TC is a complete mystery.

    $2000 - is this the most expensive TC ever?

    Ray - sticking with my $150 2x N TC

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Wow. I would start looking for a nice adapter to some Pentax 67 glass.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Yuk! $2,000? But I gotta have one anyway if the image quality is up to the cost. (Remember Dante?)

    480 mm and f9 on MF....hmm. But manual focussing is fine - you're bound to be on a tripod with that combo. May need a crane to get it mounted....
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    You're right, there is no 1.4x TC yet, despite frequent calls for one from the user base...and why they went with another manual focus 2x TC is a complete mystery.

    $2000 - is this the most expensive TC ever?

    Ray - sticking with my $150 2x N TC
    Hmmm maybe the Leica R 1.4 . Can't remember how much I paid though

    I agree been nice if this was a 1.4

    2k if it sings than worth it. Maybe it will be around next month on workshop. Ill test it for sure if it is
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member ondebanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    480 mm and f9 on MF....hmm. But manual focussing is fine
    Which is why I don't really see the point of that particular combination. Manual focus is all you've got with this TC, and it's a real crapshoot: the focusing screen is going to be very dim at f9, the electronic focus confirmation won't work, and even changing to a Type C screen with focus aids is no use as they'll just black-out at f9.

    I'd use the 500/4.5 APO (if I had one!) instead. Heck, even the 500/8 mirror would be preferable.

    Ray
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    $1990. *ouch*

    I can't wait to use Graham's....
    Ken, in your dreams I suspect that if it's good then it'll be a case of if you touch it you own it!

    I'm interested in finding more about the support system for the lens/teleconvertor combination. I noticed on DT's site mention of the recommendation of some form of lens support as with the 240LS at least that will be a hunk of glass and metal hanging off the body.

    I would assume that the Kirk or RRS lens support rails would be recommended.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Ken, in your dreams I suspect that if it's good then it'll be a case of if you touch it you own it!

    I'm interested in finding more about the support system for the lens/teleconvertor combination. I noticed on DT's site mention of the recommendation of some form of lens support as with the 240LS at least that will be a hunk of glass and metal hanging off the body.

    I would assume that the Kirk or RRS lens support rails would be recommended.


    Phase is pushing a third party rail that they worked with during the development of the 2x adapter. I don't have any experience with it, but it should be pretty good. One would assume that RRS or Kirk would be able to accommodate their customers with a similar solution; I admit to not having a lot of experience with very long lenses so don't have a lot of knowledge regarding what support rails are able to support what kinds of lenses and what accessories/adapters/holders/customization is required between different lenses. If anyone reading this thread can contribute in that area I'm sure we'd all benefit! Also if anyone has a support system they want to test with the TC+lens we (Digital Transitions) would be glad to have you stop by with it and play to your hearts content (hopefully sharing your findings with us and with the forum).
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    The rail should comes with the extender for free
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Hmm, this looks very similar to the RRS package:

    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  13. #13
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Hmm, this looks very similar to the RRS package:
    True. Though to be fair:
    1) the other party has been making various lens support, rails, adapters etc for years
    2) there are only so many ways to make a bar under the camera that holds up the lens

    I found the link: Hejnar PHOTO
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    RRS has done work for Phase, so you know it's gotta be good.

    You are just set ready to go, Graham! You've already go the RRS lens support package----just gotta wait for the big brown truck to deliver your new 2x Schneider Teleconvertor!


  15. #15
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    True. Though to be fair:
    1) the other party has been making various lens support, rails, adapters etc for years
    2) there are only so many ways to make a bar under the camera that holds up the lens

    I found the link: Hejnar PHOTO
    I couldn't agree more. Good for RRS to have competition too. I have one the Hejnar Manfrotto plate adapters myself - very nicely made and turns the 405/410 geared heads into more useful solutions with Arca plates.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the results of some real world tests of the teleconverter before I jump in. It would be nice to have the extra reach with the 240LS on occasion.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    2) there are only so many ways to make a bar under the camera that holds up the lens
    Hehe, tell that to the cinema crowd, there are more rail systems than there are lenses.

    Speaking of which, there are a lot of inexpensive cine rails due to the movie-recording DSLR boom, I wonder how many could be applicable for this purpose?

    Strap gears on the focus ring and put a follow focus on, and you'll even be able to focus and look through the VF at the same time.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ondebanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing the results of some real world tests of the teleconverter before I jump in. It would be nice to have the extra reach with the 240LS on occasion.
    I'm looking forward to these tests too. I'm fascinated to see how they will cope with the focusing problems I identified a few messages up. This TC will be fine with the f2.8 lenses mentioned (150D and 150LS), but I really doubt it for the f4.5 lenses (240LS and 300AF). Live View is the only solution for them, I think. But only some backs offer Live View, and even then it is rather limited, I gather?

    Ray

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Ken, in your dreams I suspect that if it's good then it'll be a case of if you touch it you own it!

    I'm interested in finding more about the support system for the lens/teleconvertor combination. I noticed on DT's site mention of the recommendation of some form of lens support as with the 240LS at least that will be a hunk of glass and metal hanging off the body.

    I would assume that the Kirk or RRS lens support rails would be recommended.
    Ken, just watch... Graham already started looking into accessories. He is looking for a complete package. :-)

  19. #19
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    I'm not blinking on this one until someone else takes the plunge and does the debugging. My experience with Phase One is that it doesn't pay to be first, or in my case 1348 even. (that's another long story that maybe I'll share when it's been resolved).

    One the plus side, the Phase One glass I've bought has always been excellent. Luckily I missed their T/S super rotator round, although I had the original and Greyhand torments with images he takes with it here! The 240LS has been superb.

    So Doug, when are the samples coming?
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    So Doug, when are the samples coming?
    You'll be the second to know (I'll be the first).
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NYC / Fairfield, CT
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Which is why I don't really see the point of that particular combination. Manual focus is all you've got with this TC, and it's a real crapshoot: the focusing screen is going to be very dim at f9, the electronic focus confirmation won't work, and even changing to a Type C screen with focus aids is no use as they'll just black-out at f9.

    I'd use the 500/4.5 APO (if I had one!) instead. Heck, even the 500/8 mirror would be preferable.

    Ray
    Look for my review of my 500mm f/4.5 APO lens coming soon! and don't worry I will be testing atleast my 300mm f/2.8 APO and possibly even the 500mm with the new 2x TC (I already know it works great with the M645 2x N TC) from schneider which it should be able to do...

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Brian,
    Do you expect the new 2X Schneider Teleconvertor to work with the 300mm f/4.5 APO? Phase one said it is compatible exclusively with three lenses. That means it won't work with any other lenses. But I don't see why not.

    --Steve.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NYC / Fairfield, CT
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by steve_cor View Post
    Brian,
    Do you expect the new 2X Schneider Teleconvertor to work with the 300mm f/4.5 APO? Phase one said it is compatible exclusively with three lenses. That means it won't work with any other lenses. But I don't see why not.

    --Steve.
    Though I have heard that as well, I have also heard that compatibility is less so focused on whether or not the lens is say, electronically capable of it, but rather whether there is enough room, since the front element of the TC sticks out fairly significantly (possibly even more so then the M645 2x N which I have used with my 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4.5 apo lenses). the M645 2x N will not mount with the 300mm f/4.5 and there is also the issue that you cannot control the aperture. I do not know if the TC will communicate electronically with the 300mm f/4.5 APO but I suspect there should be enough room to possibly mount it, though again this did not work with the 300mm f/4.5 APO and the M645 2x N so it is hard to say at this point, though I will certainly report back.

    Of course 2x-ing any of these lenses isn't exactly ideal from an aperture standpoint, but we would hope that as 600 f/8 or 600mm f/5.6 or 1000mm f/8 we would see some improvements with this $2000 USD TC over the inexpensive and older Mamiya M645 2x N which is no slouch as far as a TC can be concerned especially in the demanding arena of MFBD's.

    I'm currently working on reviews of the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4.5 APO in costa rica shooting with the M645 2x N as well as extension tubes, and apart from the images I had somehow labeled, its very difficult to tell whether a TC was used or not since the IQ is very very good (when the picture is in-focus and well exposed of course )

  24. #24
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I'm not blinking on this one until someone else takes the plunge and does the debugging. My experience with Phase One is that it doesn't pay to be first, or in my case 1348 even. (that's another long story that maybe I'll share when it's been resolved).

    One the plus side, the Phase One glass I've bought has always been excellent. Luckily I missed their T/S super rotator round, although I had the original and Greyhand torments with images he takes with it here! The 240LS has been superb.

    So Doug, when are the samples coming?
    Tested it yesterday with the Mamiya 150mm/2.8 on a typical overcast, windy day on the river Thames. Nice to have a 300mm/5.6 in a smallish, lightish package!

    Yair
    Last edited by yaya; 12th September 2013 at 03:39.
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    Anyone have any experience with this TC other than Yair's post on 12 Sep? Thanks.

    John

  26. #26
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

    I believe Michelle passed on my observations to you by email.

    Good optics.

    Never "easy" to use long lenses with medium format, but no easier/harder with the [2X + 150mm] than say the 300mm. No autofocus (as mentioned throughout the thread) but you still maintain TTL focusing, focus mask, live view, and 100% on screen review to confirm you nailed a shot.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •