The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on ALPA FPS future developments

markymarkrb

I recently contacted ALPA about future FPS developments to which Hans-Peter Ochsner replied 'Of course, there will be further developments, however, there are sometimes physical restrictions that applies. I am sure that you understand that I am not in the position to inform you in detail about oncoming developments here." Does anyone know where the future of this camera system is headed? My guess is electronic shutters, or possibly SB51 mounts for the HR90mm and other lenses. I remember seeing a slide show talking about the roadmap for the SB17 direct FPS mounts and then some other developments this winter. The SB17 FPS mounts have happened. What is next? Your thoughts?

Mark

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I could imagine WLAN or NFC function from a smartphone or a separate Shutter and Control Module . Currently that seems to be state of the art for many digital cameras .

I suspect that, with the demise of Copal shutters, the FPS and its siblings will be the future of tech cameras. Hopefully the wide angle lens limitations (23HR) can be solved if they redesign the shutter mechanism itself to make it work with movements. It would probably mean a hybrid FPS and MAX. We'll see what they come up with.

rupho

That's exactly how I see the future of this platform,. Get rid of the annoying Copal shutter ,lenses will become more affordable and being movements to all lenses on the actual FPSand not the convoluted FPS connected to Max Solution.
I want a digital medium format camera with movements and focal planecshutter and stellar wide lenses .
To achieve this there could be an FPS / TS that incorporates the movement right within the camera . There seems to be space for that. So let's bring up the FPS/TS that's where I see the future but of course this might cannibalize the sales of the 6 platform

I suspect that, with the demise of Copal shutters, the FPS and its siblings will be the future of tech cameras. Hopefully the wide angle lens limitations (23HR) can be solved if they redesign the shutter mechanism itself to make it work with movements. It would probably mean a hybrid FPS and MAX. We'll see what they come up with.

markymarkrb

Gerald,

Any clue what this might be and what day it will come out? The way it is written up on the website is kind of strange.

Mark

gerald.d

Gerald,

Any clue what this might be and what day it will come out? The way it is written up on the website is kind of strange.

Mark
Hi Mark -

My read of it is that the announcement will be made today at the Fotocare seminar/workshop.

Personally, I'm hoping for some inbuilt timelapse functionality, along with programmable exposure control/bramping.

What would be really, really cool, would be a way to hook up an external light meter to control exposure, but that's probably a little too far-fetched!

An iPhone app to control the FPS would also be amazing, but again - I'm living in cloud-cuckoo land here :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Nutcracker

looks like wishes are about to be achieved!
ALPA will enhance the functionality of its focal plane shuttered camera module ALPA 12 FPS with remote control based an a built in web server. In addition the user will be able to control the focus of non-manual Canon lenses via this new feature as well as directly from the camera.

The patent pending solution allows to control on camera by multiple clients via the same network - be it tethered, wireless or via the internet - or several cameras by one client or a combination of both no matter if it is a desktop computer, iPad, iPhone or other smart device. No software installation is needed as it is completely based on web technology. Even access to the camera via the Internet is feasible.

In addition the focus control of Canon lenses gives the user full access on focusing with such lenses on-site or remote especially with todays live-view capable digital backs without touching the lens. The combined new features will help photographers and institutions to improve their efficiency dramatically.

The new solution was presented at Foto Care in New York during the ALPA Seminar today. The update will be free of charge of course. Official release is expected to be in December 2013.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In addition the focus control of Canon lenses gives the user full access on focusing with such lenses on-site or remote especially with todays live-view capable digital backs without touching the lens. The combined new features will help photographers and institutions to improve their efficiency dramatically.

The new solution was presented at Foto Care in New York during the ALPA Seminar today. The update will be free of charge of course. Official release is expected to be in December 2013.
I got to see these today. The Canon AF lens control in particular was very interesting to see. They're able to display the focus distance range on the LCD read out of the FPS as you adjust the lens. Andre Oldani was at pains to point out that Alpa is committed to future proofing as far as possible the FPS body and also in particular adding interesting shutter triggering solutions to go with it (think trigger trap for example - which works today)

kapil Syal

i've a serious soft spot for Alpa .. but the FPS will be history once (If) a Sony A7 type MFD back is developed - specially with full global shutter and built in exposure control ..

yes yes .. christmas dreaming, i am

gerald.d

i've a serious soft spot for Alpa .. but the FPS will be history once (If) a Sony A7 type MFD back is developed - specially with full global shutter and built in exposure control ..

yes yes .. christmas dreaming, i am
What you're basically saying is - "Something that exists now will be history once/if something that is better than it comes out in the future."

Well yeah, that is kind of stating the obvious.

I mean, I could imagine something better than you describe that once/if it comes out, would make your idea history. And the next guy to post could envisage something better than that.

All rather a pointless intellectual exercise really, would you not agree?

The FPS exists NOW.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Nutcracker

The FPS is History Making, and being as future-proofed as it seems to be in design, will likely remain current for a very long time indeed.
Brilliant concept, and well executed - an unusual combination in modern life.
It would not surprise me if it remains as long-lived as good lenses, while most camera bodies are rapidly outpaced. (I do not use outdated as a term, my first decent digital D100 still performs for family use).

GrahamWelland

If/when we get true live view medium format the FPS will be even better placed as a system that bridges photographic generations. The flexibility of the platform is really interesting and subject to the camera body width and opening size (& retro focus glass) you can stick almost anything on it, front or back.

rupho

I got to see these today. The Canon AF lens control in particular was very interesting to see. They're able to display the focus distance range on the LCD read out of the FPS as you adjust the lens. Andre Oldani was at pains to point out that Alpa is committed to future proofing as far as possible the FPS body and also in particular adding interesting shutter triggering solutions to go with it (think trigger trap for example - which works today)
Could you elaborate on how that works I.e. Setting the focus on canon manual focus lenses s.a. The 24 TSE. I can't see how this works somebody still needs to manually turn the lens to get it in focus and the lack of detailed distance markins on most canon lenses does not make it easy to set exact focus distance on a MF digital back IMO.
Having said this the 24TSE and the FPS are a great combo

GrahamWelland

I don't know exactly what they do but Andre Oldani said that they can read information from the AF lenses about the angular position of the focus. I'm not an experienced Canon shooter (Nikon guy for years) so I don't know if their manual lenses also share this information or not (I suspect not). I'm sure that Alpa will no doubt document what they're up to with their Canon adapter and new FPS capabilities.