The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad HC lens recommandations please

MaxKißler

Indeed, the 80mm has its difficulties, though I would say manual focus is only a minor one since when your working with it its almost better to have direct feedback between yourself, your hand the focus of the lens and the movements of both you and the model.

and for all of the good images, sh*t like this happens http://brianhirschfeldphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CF002367ex-mini.jpg
Don't get me wrong, I really don't mean to offend you, but this sounds a lot like Leica sales pitch. ;) I do claim that manual focussing is far from being obsolete. Take Leica for instance, the rangefinder focussing mechanism (if calibrated correctly and with slower lenses that don't shift focus) works very well but in MFD with the brightness enhenced focusing screens of today's 645 cameras, manual focussing is a real pita IMO...

With the 80mm 1,9 I had a keeper rate of about 60%. Having to stop down manually didn't make focussing easier. If you're shooting for 5 hours and only use manual focus with MFD, you're either a total pro are simply stupid. I did this several times and figured I must have been completely stupid. It just required too much concentration that lacked elsewhere. (Shooting film is a different story though)

With the HC 80mm I have a keeper rate of about 97%. And I do have my standards. If the focus is not on the eye that is closer to the viewer, the image will be deleted. So even without true focus, the HB works just great for me.

jduncan

I had a 35mm for a while and it was great. I upgraded to the 35-90 because it wasn't THAT MUCH bigger and eliminated the need for the 50 and 80 lenses. I also have the 100 2.2, which I use 90% of the time in studio either alone or with a combination of 1.4x, extension tubes. Location it's either the 35-90 or 100 based on focal length needed. If I only had 1 lens it would be the 100 2.2, it's just amazing. If you end up getting a 55-110 make sure it's a newer one. Some older ones didn't hold up well. The new N version of the 150 is supposed to be sharper, I'm not sure how much because I haven't really tested them against each other. But I believe it's enough for most people to want to upgrade. You'll love the P30+ H2 combo. If you can afford the H4x, that's even better.

Enjoy,
Josh
I am adding points to the 100mm f2.2 it's light and has beautiful image quality. As the people of the forum know I am partial to the 35-90mm I hate that it's crop but it has an excellent flare resistance and very good image quality.

This may help :
The lenses

jduncan