The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One 646DF, Anyone Use It?

November I'm getting back into photography and wondering if anyone has this camera 645DF or has used it? I'm mainly doing portraits and landscape type photography. I'm looking at the P65 digital back and the Schneider lenses 28mm, 80, 110 and 150

Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Lots of Phase/Mamiya body/back users here.

Perhaps you could expand your post to indicate what questions you have. There is no shortage of knowledge about this equipment here.

The more detailed or specific your question the more likely you'll get replies, and the more likely the replies will be relevant to you :).

Really broad questions/topics like "is this is a good camera for portrait" are hindered because everyone's needs/styles are so different that really broad questions don't have one universally true answer (rather the answer is different for each person).

That said here is a quick run down of things to consider:
- the Schneider 110LS has a really great look (IMO) for portraits. I use this lens for a huge percentage of my wedding bridal portrait shots. Shot wide open it is very sharp with creamy out of focus areas.
- the Schneider 28LS is one of the best full-frame medium format ultra-wides available (there aren't many) but it (nor any SLR lens) can compare to the quality of a tech camera wide angle. See this comparison of a 28LS vs a 32HR and read about wide angle lens design.
- there is a DF and a DF+. The main improvement to the DF+ was the autofocus speed/accuracy. For handheld portrait work I'd strongly suggest the DF+ over the DF. I'd suggest it strongly enough that if a [P65+ DF+ kit] isn't in the budget I'd recommend dropping down in backs (e.g. to a P30+) if needed to make sure the DF+ fits the budget
- the 65+ is fairly limited in it's ability to do long exposures. This is unlikely to effect you regarding portrait work, but might come into play on landscape shooting. Make sure that 60 seconds at ISO50 (at normal ambient temperatures at the apertures typical of MF landscape) will be enough for the vast majority of your work. If you think you'll need more than 40-50 seconds with any frequency then a P45+ might be a better match (though you'd lose the 65+'s sensor+ and it's gift of higher ISO and frame rate which is helpful in portrait)
- the 65+ LCD is not great, and the ability to review the image, especially when it comes to color and focus, is mediocare at best. An IQ140 might be in the same ballpark (depending on new vs. refurb, condition, warranty, package etc) and would provide a much better interface for review, at the cost of a smaller sensor and lower resolution (it's all relative, e.g. it's still a significantly larger sensor than a FF 35mm dSLR)
- there is no substitute for getting hands on, whether it's by attending a workshop (GetDPI puts on some great ones), borrowing from another user, renting from a dealer, or going to a dealer's location for evaluation; that said, a remote demo is IMO the next-best-thing to getting hands on

Last edited:
Doug thnx for the info. One last question, on the lenses below for Schneider Lenses what's the equiv focal length on 35mm? Schneiders the better lens choice than actual Phase One lens right?

Schneider Lenses I'm looking At Are:

28 is ?
55 is ?
80 is ?
110 is ?
150 is ?
240 is ?
75-150 is 47-93 in 35mm focal length

Thanks again

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Schneiders the better lens choice than actual Phase One lens right?
I wouldn't say it's that clear cut. If you need fast flash sync then you should go all Schneiders - they will sync up to 1/1600th sec (the Phase One D lenses only sync up to 1/125th). If you don't need fast flash sync then there are certain Phase One lenses which are better than the closest Schneider equivalent (e.g. the 150LS and 150D are both excellent lenses, but if I had to pick the 150D wins), and Phase One lenses which are approximately the same as the Schneider equivalent (see the previously linked 28D vs 28LS test) but are less expensive (because they don't have the leaf shutter built in), and then there are Schneiders which are in a league of their own and much better choices than the Phase like the 110LS and 240LS. I have personal experience with every lens on your list and would be glad to share sample files and otherwise discuss the pros and cons of each lens.

Doug thnx for the info. One last question, on the lenses below for Schneider Lenses what's the equiv focal length on 35mm?

Schneider Lenses I'm looking At Are:

28 is ?
55 is ?
80 is ?
110 is ?
150 is ?
240 is ?
Here is a web app that will show you focal length equivalents:
Tech Camera, Image Circle, Focal Length Equivalent

Last edited: