The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 N Lens Review

MB100

Here is my long overdue article on this gem of a lens. Many in the know have been aware of it and its potential for a long time, however still many more don't know about what it is capable of. I had the chance (a while ago) to shoot (a then prototype) PhaseOne IQ260 with this lens thanks to Digital Transitions. I also got to shoot it on my old(ish) Mamiya 645AFD with some film to give the complete picture.

Enjoy, and please let me know what you think!

Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 N Lens Review | Brian Hirschfeld Photography

Best,
BH

Ken_R

Awesome! The portraits are a bit too tight to really showcase the background blur. Try to also take a full body shot to really showcase the subject isolating potential. The detail is stunning btw!

MB100

Thanks Ken, yes I do know that that was omitted, but those were the images I had (which I had taken a little while ago as I mention in the article. I will certainly do a follow up that showcases some more of the image quality and characteristics of this lens.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for a great writeup. I bought a lens hood for that lens a few years ago. Now I only need the lens and a camera to mount it on :ROTFL:

I am using it on Canon EOS with Mirex T/S adaptor.
I found the bokeh to be extremely nervous at any apertures, but it shreds a lot of lenses at f5.6 focused at infinity (for me anyway).
It was really interesting to see it on MFD. Clearly, it works better on MF rather than 35mm equivalent.

weinlamm

It's a nice lense. Good to know that it would still work one day with a IQ260... :D

And the lens-hood-problem: I bought a Matin lens hood via ebay; very cheap and cool. Screw a bayonet on the lense - and then you nearly could use it, like the lens-hood where included.

alajuela

It's a nice lense. Good to know that it would still work one day with a IQ260... :D

And the lens-hood-problem: I bought a Matin lens hood via ebay; very cheap and cool. Screw a bayonet on the lense - and then you nearly could use it, like the lens-hood where included.
Hi

I bought one and I can tell you it works with a 180 back. Its fun, a different look, softer a bit due to the coating on the lens, also has more coma, the depth of field is a gas, wafer thin. Nice change of pace for 200 USD.

As far as the hood goes, there are several varieties of the rubber hoods at B&H , but you must be conscious of where the sun is.

Phil.