The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad to start its own chain of HB stores

Ah sh-t, not this again, when will other camera companies learn that they aren't Leica? Strange thing about Tokyo though, the Japanese are discerning photographers, and wouldn't buy rebranded overpriced crap.

Shashin

Well, they can save a lot in shipping. Sony can put the cameras on a Yamanote line train from Shinagawa to Harajuku.

neil

I will visit the shop when in the area. It says there are some old v series cameras on display. Maybe interesting. It's next to the hasselblad service centre. Seems hasseblad is offering support directly now instead of via a third party company. I wonder if that means I can actually get support and service now at a reasonable price and not paying the old thousands of dollar mark up for "form filling in and customs clearance" it use to be just too much hassle / expensive to get anything sent to the hasselblad factory for repair. Hopefully better now.

Neil

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I will visit the shop when in the area. It says there are some old v series cameras on display. Maybe interesting. It's next to the hasselblad service centre. Seems hasseblad is offering support directly now instead of via a third party company. I wonder if that means I can actually get support and service now at a reasonable price and not paying the old thousands of dollar mark up for "form filling in and customs clearance" it use to be just too much hassle / expensive to get anything sent to the hasselblad factory for repair. Hopefully better now.

Neil
If the markup on the Lunar is any indication, I wouldn't have to high hopes of lower service prices. You might want to opt for the ruby shutter button when the camera is in for service anyway. I'm sure it will have a positive impact on the image quality :ROTFL:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) Actually I was very surprised to see the looney and co on sale in a local Leica boutique.... :confused: (...)

I have noticed that too, at least at stores that are primarily selling Leica stuff though not directly Leica owned stores.
But maybe it is not all that surprising, since after all it is more or less the same segment and more or less the same business model.
The overpriced, rebranded low-end is new to Hasselblad, and all beginnings are difficult.
They'll probably soon find out the hard way that their overpricing of the rebranded low-end is too exaggerated.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I found the Lunar at display at Peter Jones / John Lewis in London

©lick for some actual pixels

© • Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • 1/125 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 • Lightroom 4.4

I have noticed that too, at least at stores that are primarily selling Leica stuff though not directly Leica owned stores.
But maybe it is not all that surprising, since after all it is more or less the same segment and more or less the same business model.
The overpriced, rebranded low-end is new to Hasselblad, and all beginnings are difficult.
They'll probably soon find out the hard way that their overpricing of the rebranded low-end is too exaggerated. ]
A local Leica boutique here in Moscow also has the Lunar listed as one of it's new products. They also sell some Hassy and Phase gear, plus a bit of Nikon and Canon gear to fill out the shelves.

RVB

Take this with a grain of salt as I have no empirical evidence but my Hasselblad dealer tells me it's selling ok in the middle and far east where there are plenty of people who don't give a second thought to dropping 6grand.

Personally I hope it sell's to the super rich if it helps Hasselblad get their act together,Ventizz is not in for the long haul anyway and are just setting the company up for a profitable sale.