The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus 22 - 100% Zoom Live View?

foster_jb

Hi,

I recently had the (great) opportunity to use an IQ140 back for a while. This was used on my Arca Swiss M Line 6x9 camera. The Live View feature, though not perfect, was absolutely brilliant in terms of allowing 100% zoom to fine tune focus. I really hated to return the back to my friend...

I have read much about the Aptus 22 as well as the newer Aptus II 5. Either of these are more in my current budget than the IQ series, and I don't feel I need more than 22 megapixels at preset. Can anyone please tell me if:

1) The Live View on the Aptus is anywhere as nice on the IQ140?

2) If the Aptus allows 100% zoom in Live View mode to fine tune focus?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Foster

MaxKißler

Hi,

I'm afraid there is no such thing as "live view" on any of the backs that were produced prior to the IQ series. Of course, you could use a laptop on location and tether the back to Capture One. Any version from C1 v5 and on will let you use live view with an Aptus22 or comparable back.

foster_jb

Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies. Yes, tethered would be fine as it is mainly a studio camera. My concern is just whether I can zoom to 100%, while tethered in C1, to fine tune focus, or if the "Live View" area on the monitor is set to a fixed size, and not "zoomable." I'm just wondering how much of the experience is similar to the IQ, considering one is tethered to C1. And no, very unfortunately, I do not have dealers nearby to try this out myself. Just trying to gather some info.

Thank you,
Foster

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies. Yes, tethered would be fine as it is mainly a studio camera. My concern is just whether I can zoom to 100%, while tethered in C1, to fine tune focus, or if the "Live View" area on the monitor is set to a fixed size, and not "zoomable." I'm just wondering how much of the experience is similar to the IQ, considering one is tethered to C1. And no, very unfortunately, I do not have dealers nearby to try this out myself. Just trying to gather some info.

Thank you,
Foster
Yes you can zoom to 100%

Speed and quality are decent. Iq is improved in both areas, but for studio still life you should be okay.

The big difference is the iq can handle contrasty subjects better. The Aptus will more easily blow out a highlight in a way that spills over into adjacent areas.

You could also look at a P45+ or P25+.

foster_jb

Hi Doug,

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that the Aptus (tethered) Live View was much better than the P Series... Not so, in your opinion?

Thank you,
Foster

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi Doug,

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that the Aptus (tethered) Live View was much better than the P Series... Not so, in your opinion?

Thank you,
Foster
I'd agree its better. I think the word "much" is pushing it a bit. Both should be fine for studio still life.

The p45+ and p30+ would also require wake up cables on a view camera. But I still think they should be on your list before you start narrowing down.

yaya

For studio work tethered the Live View image from the Aptus 22 is probably the best you can get from any modern back, certainly better than any Kodak chipped back. Except for being a bit sensitive to hard light so reflections on metal objects, glass etc. can cause a bit of blooming when viewing the whole frame. When you zoom into 100% this will usually go away as we only use a small portion of the sensor.
The active cooling allows you to run Live View for as long as you want without generating heat so image quality is not affected.

Hope this helps

Yair

foster_jb

Yair, thank you for your feedback, it is helpful. You mention specifically the Aptus 22. Would you also say the same for the Aptus II 5?

Best,
Foster

yaya

Yes, the 5 actually is an improvement as the refresh rate in Live View is a bit quicker thanks to Firewire 800. The Live View image can be either in colour or in B&W (it's B&W only on the 22).
You also get the benefit of the LCD being enabled when tethered so you can see the images on the camera, check focus etc. On the 22 the LCD says "tethered mode" and you cannot see the images.

BR

Yair

HI guys,
i have a question about the 100% view of the leaf or Phase one: Is it possible to check sharpness on a leaf aptus 22 or a Phase One 25?
On a Hassi Back it is impossible! Every picture is soft with 100%
Mueller123

Last edited:

torger

It's possible on the Leaf Aptus 22 (the whole Aptus series can do it), I don't think it's possible on the P25.

The reason is not that the screens are too small, but that they don't demosaic properly when you look at 100%, they use some kind of simplified demosaicer that renders a semi-sharp and a tack-sharp image equally soft, ie the same like your Hassy back does.

The drawback with the more accurate demosaicer of the Aptus is that it takes a while to get to 100% (like 4 seconds or so). I use it often on my Aptus 75 and I find it workable.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
HI guys,
i have a question about the 100% view of the leaf or Phase one: Is it possible to check sharpness on a leaf aptus 22 or a Phase One 25?
On a Hassi Back it is impossible! Every picture is soft with 100%
Mueller123
Aptus 22: yes
P25: no

Do note the review time on the Aptus 22 (the time between telling it you want to see a 100% view and then seeing the result) is higher than modern standards. But if you're not in a rush, and you can live with the (by modern standards) dim screen, then it does give you a quite accurate pixel view.

The P25 review time is faster, but will not give you a good 100% pixel view.

With P1 you need an IQ generation or later (IQ1/IQ2) to get a really good 100% pixel view.

With either back you can tether and get a fast/accurate 100% view (don't know if tethering works for your needs, just thought I'd mention it). Tethering in the field is a bit more straightforward with the P25 as it has a built in battery and therefore can power itself when using a laptop with a thunderbolt-to-firewire connection.

rogerxnz

Don't forget that to use LiveView on an Aptus and on a Valeo, you need a LiveView dongle which sits in a USB port.

This advice applies to using Leaf Capture but not sure about C1.

I have one for sale!

If you are interested, PM me.
Roger

Steve Hendrix

Hi,
is there a difference in the LCD resolution of an Aptus 22 and Aptus 54s and Aptus 5II?
Thank you.

The Aptus-II is a little brighter and more viewable in daylite. I don't believe the actual pixel resolution changed.

And actually, I see the post before this one by Roger was never clarified in terms of live view - but it is possible to use an Aptus 22 without a dongle in Capture One.

Below is a link to a fairly comprehensive detail on live view options with Leaf digital backs.

https://captureintegration.com/live-view-leaf-capture-one/

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

archivue

i think (but i'm not shire about that…) that you can have free Capture One DB live view with the Aptus II while you need to buy Capture one pro in order to have the live view with the regular Aptus 22.

Few years back, i had to buy a dongle ( around 2000$… ) in order to have the live view with the Aptus 22.

Anyway Capture one pro is quite cheap for what it is !