The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa FPS & RRS plates

Nutcracker

While I cannot say on RRS, I have two plates on mine that fit well, Arca Swiss 25mm on the base, and Novoflex on the side, mini plates. Both have rubberised grips. Arca is slightly larger than the FPS depth, but does not interfere with mounting back or lens plates

Last edited:

narikin

Does anyone know what type of Really Right Stuff camera plates work the best for the Alpa FPS?

Thanks,
Mark
I use the MC-L right angle bracket on my FPS. Gives you horizontal and vertical lock points in one piece.

Sadly RRS seem to have no interest in making a dedicated Alpa bracket using the 2 lock points Alpa places either side of the thread to prevent twisting. The best you can do is use a universal plate type.

donaldlavay

The RRS BPns-S. It fits perfectly on both my Alpa STC and FPS as if it were custom made. I use RRS ball heads and quick release clamps.

You can use 2 thereby providing both horizontal and vertical positioning. Also noteworthy is the presence of a flange that prevents any twisting. You will also need a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer bushing(s) also available from RRS.

narikin

Yes, the RRS BPns-S is good for a lightweight Alpa outfit, like a TC with small lens, but I would hesitate to use it on an FPS/Max with a bigger lens (some of the new lenses weigh over 1kg) where absolute rigidity is required.

A weird thing is RRS told me they couldn't break the minimum Arca plate specifications by making something small enough for Alpa fit with lock pins, but then do precisely that for generic p/s cameras.

donaldlavay

The BPns-S, although small, is robust and quite capable of handling the STC and FPS if installed properly using a RRS clamp. I have been using it on both for some time and have no reservations regarding the security of my equipment. You need the proper reducer bushings from RRS and you must mount it with the flange properly oriented.

markymarkrb

Donald,

I received the BPNS-S plates and the 3/4 inch reducer bushings. Thanks for the heads up on the gasket. I am excited to try it out.

Mark

narikin

Glad that is working for you. I have no doubts that the clamp and its flange are secure when fully locked in, but my question would be of any vibration being damped on such a fine resolution camera with heavy lens and back, when attached via such a small footprint. (otherwise every MF/LF camera would simply attach using a mini 1/2" clamp too!). We've all had location tripod shots ruined by the wind or shutter activation resonances, inadequately damped.

Being as we go to such incredible effort/ expense to work at this cutting edge MF resolution with 60/80Mp backs and latest digital lenses, its a shame to risk that by saving a few bucks/ ounces on the clamp.

That said, I do appreciate that small light attachments are very preferable to bigger heavier ones, and suspect you're good for majority of situations. In fact I wish more manufacturers paid attention to weight in their products.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I also set up my FPS a with the MCP-L that I had. The only downside was that I had to mount it with the flange away from the back of the body so that I could remove the front lens adapters or mount the Alpa TC/STC body on the front. Not a deal killer but the potential is there for it to loosen vs having the bracket lip flush with the body.

Otherwise, MC-L works perfectly and you can easily mount/unmount the back and you can quickly swap between landscape & portrait modes.

I looked at using some MPR-CS plates but the L bracket is such an elegant solution.

I realise that :worthless:
Watch this space for some pics.

Pemihan

Not sure if this helps, but I use this plate on my Cambo WRS: BP-CS multi-camera plate

I tried quite a few plates and the BP-CS was the one I liked the most.
It has an anti twist flange on the long side.

How it will fit the FPS I don't know.

Last edited:

f8orbust

Obviously they will fit all the Alpa camera bodies, but the surface that mates with the camera body looks to be the perfect width for the depth of the TC; maybe a tad narrow for the other, deeper-bodied Alpas.

f8orbust

A bit OT, but they've also released the 'Smart Device Holder' for purchase (the one found in the A-Series bundles):

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Obviously they will fit all the Alpa camera bodies, but the surface that mates with the camera body looks to be the perfect width for the depth of the TC; maybe a tad narrow for the other, deeper-bodied Alpas.
They might be narrow but the anti-twist pins and the fact that they'll fit flush to the body shouldn't be a cause for concern nor the source of any flex etc.

The narrow plate looks similar in size to the BPnS RRS plate which I've used in the past. My concern with that one is that the area for the plate in the jaws of the Arca or any other head is pretty small and felt a little insecure.

That bigger square plate could be interesting though, especially as it adds some space between the body and the actual plate itself.

Regarding the BP-CS, I tried that one too. I use those on my STC today and it works fine. It was just a bit bulky and close to the bottom of the lens adapter on the FPS.

Btw, I simply cannot believe that I missed these at Alpa! :shocked: :ROTFL: