Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase One Capture One 4.6 Released!

Post Thanks / Like

Phase One Capture One 4.6 Released!

Check it out on their site. It's supposed to browse faster which would be great. That's my biggest complaint about it. Now you can save workspaces too.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One Capture One 4.6 Released!

Some of the highlighted new features in Capture One 4.6 are:

- Improved performance:
    o Notably in: Processing, Browsing, Folder viewing and Color Editor

- Edit Primary Only option:
    o With Capture One 4.6 we will abandon the Shift modifier key for operating on multiple
    selected images/variants. With Capture One 4.6 we will introduce an option “Edit Primary
    Only”, which can be toggled on or off. When this option is off, changes made will affect all
    selected variants, otherwise it will only affect the primary variant. You can toggle the “Edit
    Primary Only” mode in the menu (Edit), the toolbar (icon) and via a new keyboard shortcut

- Camera Controls tool:
    o For tethered shooting, this tool allows the users to remote control essential camera settings
    such as program, shutter, aperture and EV adjustment directly from the application.

- Load/save workspaces (PRO/DB, Mac only):
    o It is now possible to save and load workspaces in the application

- Nikon tethered capture for the following cameras (PRO):
    o Nikon D3, Nikon D700, Nikon D300, Nikon D200, Nikon D80, Nikon D60, Nikon D40x,
    Nikon D40

- New cameras supported (4/PRO):
    o Phase One P 65+
    o Canon G10
    o Nikon D3X
    o Olympus E-30

- Improved camera support (4/PRO):
    o Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 50D: sRaw1 and sRaw2 supported

- Rating in Phase One back reflected in Capture One

- Software update
    o A software update feature is introduced, so Capture One will in the future notify users if a
    newer version of Capture One is available. This feature requires an internet connection

You can download the new Capture One 4.6 from Phase One's web site:

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Chris Lawery
    Sales Manager
    [email protected]
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
    404-234-5195 | Cell

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed it and finally the error with my Sinar-dng doesnt come up any more. I dont know why but I am happy that I can process my Sinar-DNGs now with either Sinar-Exposure, PS or C1. I dont know yet which Output I like best though
    Anybody knows if there are any specific Sinar-profiles for C1?
    Tom

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i tried twice to download and install it; trying to run the exe file gave a corrupted file message both times

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It downloaded and installed fine for me. However, I'm seeing a strange new artifact in the controls that shows a line running through the effect number on those controls that use sliders. Attached is a screen grab of the area in question. This is on OSX 10.5.6, Mac Pro.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay it is a lot faster. Now this has me really excited since I am looking at 3k in images this week to process.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow i can go through my files REALLY fast , this was what i was really waiting for. I had the beta but did not load it because in the middle of to much work but I had to load it this morning and take the chance , looks good so far . Please report any bugs since we can send notes to Phase One and Doug at CI to get the proper info to the engineers.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim I would reboot and see if it still exists and maybe reload if needed. maybe Doug will see and give some advice also.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Everyone should give the Color Editor a quick try. Before it was so slow to show a change that experimentation was a big PITA. Now it's pretty snappy and can be used with relatively little pain. It's the most powerful feature in the whole program.

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I just installed it and finally the error with my Sinar-dng doesnt come up any more. I dont know why but I am happy that I can process my Sinar-DNGs now with either Sinar-Exposure, PS or C1. I dont know yet which Output I like best though
    Anybody knows if there are any specific Sinar-profiles for C1?
    Tom
    Definitely no sinar-specific profiles but the Color Editor can be used to tweak the generic profile and save it as an independent ICC profile. Just make sure you experiment with a variety of images (don't just tweak the profile to one specific image).

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i tried twice to download and install it; trying to run the exe file gave a corrupted file message both times
    I would 1) uninstall the previous version (link for instructions) 2) redownload the file using one of the other servers (there are two US and one european servers)

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    It downloaded and installed fine for me. However, I'm seeing a strange new artifact in the controls that shows a line running through the effect number on those controls that use sliders. Attached is a screen grab of the area in question. This is on OSX 10.5.6, Mac Pro.
    I'm not seeing that artifact. Does it stay there if you resize the width of the column? Does it stay with a reboot? If so I would uninstall (link for instructions) completely and reinstall. Otherwise maybe a video card problem of some kind. No idea.

edit: short of a full reinstall you could also just dump the preferences file: User/Library/Preferences/com.phaseone.captureone.plist while the program is closed and relaunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug this is flying really nice. Okay I am excited about this since i said it three times now. LOL

Now I have not tried tethered but I am also really excited about camera controls in C1 . Now I don't need that darn long release i can shoot tethered with camera at 12ft on ladder and be on ground and not only can I control the shutter now I can SEE the image without getting back up on the ladder each time. Okay I am lazy but seriously this is HUGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I created a new varient and the white balance and exposure settings went back to default, maybe others too.
    Is this by design?
    I didn't notice this before, but it might be that I just wasn't looking
    thanks
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to rain on your parade but the camera controls only apply to the P65+ as of right now. Unclear if this can be back-ported to the earlier + backs, but if it can be it won't be right away (a new firmware release would have to be made and those take a while to clear quality control).

Of course you can trigger the shot on most tethered cameras, but the new camera control allows aperture and shutter speed control.

I'm not clear myself if camera controls include canon/nikon. Anyone want to check? It's inventory day in Miami, so I don't have time!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I created a new varient and the white balance and exposure settings went back to default, maybe others too.
    Is this by design?
    I didn't notice this before, but it might be that I just wasn't looking
    thanks
    -bob
    New Variant = Variant with all default values
    Clone Variant = Create variant identical to current image

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
    Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One wish I have is that the viewer would not always expand the image to fill the window.
    For example, if a smallish jpeg is created, it looks like it is full of uprez jaggies with no way of really displaying it at 100% within C1.
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    I'm not seeing that artifact. Does it stay there if you resize the width of the column? Does it stay with a reboot? If so I would uninstall (link for instructions) completely and reinstall. Otherwise maybe a video card problem of some kind. No idea.

edit: short of a full reinstall you could also just dump the preferences file: User/Library/Preferences/com.phaseone.captureone.plist while the program is closed and relaunch.
    Removing the prefs seems to have cleared it up. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Variant = Variant with all default values
    Clone Variant = Create variant identical to current image

DUH
    sorry
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to rain on your parade but the camera controls only apply to the P65+ as of right now. Unclear if this can be back-ported to the earlier + backs, but if it can be it won't be right away (a new firmware release would have to be made and those take a while to clear quality control).

Of course you can trigger the shot on most tethered cameras, but the new camera control allows aperture and shutter speed control.

I'm not clear myself if camera controls include canon/nikon. Anyone want to check? It's inventory day in Miami, so I don't have time!
    Darn, let's certainly put that on the list Doug.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it a free upgrade from 4.5? I could never get 4.5 to work reliably (4.5.2 now crashes on startup) and had pretty much written off PhaseOne. They seem to ignore crash reports and don't respond to email. I used my last free upgrade for 4.5.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Is it a free upgrade from 4.5? I could never get 4.5 to work reliably (4.5.2 now crashes on startup) and had pretty much written off PhaseOne. They seem to ignore crash reports and don't respond to email. I used my last free upgrade for 4.5.
    Only major updates count as use of your "upgrades". The only instance of this in the last few years was the transition from 3.X Pro to 4.5 Pro. I don't expect that they will go to 5.X for a good long while (measured in years), so your all set for the foreseeable future.

So yes, it is a free update.

If Capture One was crashing on startup you likely did not remove the last version fully prior to installing 4.5.2. (uninstall instructions). Short of a full uninstall/reinstall (which granted only takes a couple of minutes) the solution likely would have been to delete the preference file and default session file. From my experience and the experience of my customers 4.5.2 was pretty stable, and cases like yours (crash at launch) was uncommon, but not as uncommon as you'd like. One thing I can say for certain is that 4.6 has been more stable while I've been using it (in beta for the last two weeks) than 4.5.2.

If you open a support ticker on PhaseOne.com you will get an answer. But in general if it's a question like yours you'll get a faster answer by posting on this very helpful forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Definitely faster, like another world faster!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've deleted my preferences and every trace I can find of it and reinstalled so many times that I know for sure it doesn't help. After I reinstall, reconfigure, and use it for a while it starts crashing consistently after a few seconds.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jan, if you are on a Mac, then try starting Console, clearing it, then starting C1 and see what you get in the Console.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    I've deleted my preferences and every trace I can find of it and reinstalled so many times that I know for sure it doesn't help. After I reinstall, reconfigure, and use it for a while it starts crashing consistently after a few seconds.

Jan:

Try holding the shift key as you boot the software. This will allow the software to boot up without loading a session. I had this happen to 2 of my machines when testing 4.5 and 4.5.2 It was either a corrupt capture causing the problem or the session had become corrupt. So then make a new session try to import the files into the new session. This has worked for me and several others that I have got calls from in my area.

Good Luck:

Chris Snipes
    Phase One Resller
    Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
    [email protected]

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to add my thoughts on the recent upgrade which is all positive; installed 4.6 on both my 32 bit laptop and 64 bit studio computers this morning without any hiccups. Decided to do a test run of the new software using an image I took at the South Rim and am very satisfied with the outcome.

I also want to take the time here to personally thank Doug Peterson for helping me get over the rough spots on 4.5 and learning about dark slides!

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug - Do you know when they are going to include the option of selecting the preferred ICC profile to use when opening a new file from each camera, like they had in 3.7?

It still is a pain for the P30+ to always open as flash and the M8 as the generic vs. UV/IR.

Thanks,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Processing mega amounts of files right now and this thing is FLYING

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

4.6 has been working for several days now without going belly-up.

Holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed...

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree - it's quick!