Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hasselblad price increase

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad price increase

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    IMO and experience, in-body stabilization was and remains a key advantage of the Sony DSLRs ... where every lens made by anyone is stabilized. Including all the fast ZA primes, and any adapted lens.
    Adapted lenses will only be stabilized if there is a chip with the correct focal length (whereas on Olympus, there is a menu to enter it if the lens is not recognized). But you are right on the other count: stabilized f/1.4 primes made the A900 quite efficient at night.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO and experience, in-body stabilization was and remains a key advantage of the Sony DSLRs ... where every lens made by anyone is stabilized. Including all the fast ZA primes, and any adapted lens.
    Adapted lenses will only be stabilized if there is a chip with the correct focal length (whereas on Olympus, there is a menu to enter it if the lens is not recognized). But you are right on the other count: stabilized f/1.4 primes made the A900 quite efficient at night.

Post Thanks / Like

...and here lies Hasselblad's problem. Every conversation about their products ends in talk about Nikon and Sony...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. Let me post a picture taken with the Hasselblad and HTS to compensate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    ...and here lies Hasselblad's problem. Every conversation about their products ends in talk about Nikon and Sony...
    Well, the cliche that photography is all about compromises is still true, although the superb new technology in iso for especially 35mm is helping ending that cliche... -There is an incredible large gap going from the versitile Nikon, Sony, Canon and the 35mm's to hasselblad or phase if you have enough light/time. The end result from medim format is truly breathtaking.
    I can only speak for myself. I shoot both, and can't really share my excitement when post processing a 35mm file as I do with my medium format files. Although the time spent retouching a medium format is greater due to the insane amount of (both positive and negative) details in a picture! The end result is miles away from 35mm. That's not really up for debate and leaves the conversation on what second camera to compliment a medium format (if needed).
    In the end, the real question comes down to if you're a technician or a creative. If you can combine the two, perfect! Understand the limits and create within those bounderies.
    Realised I just went on a bit. Sorry about the novel
    -Kai

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Many years ago, if you said something about wanting to get into professional photography, you'd hear the word Hasselblad sometime within the next sentence or two. and the conversation would end there.

You dropped the ball, Hasselblad, you've dropped all of the balls; and a thousand midgets kicked them into the net.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    The color filters array chromaticities are different between the D3x and A900
    Well there you go. If the CFA responses differed, those cameras did not have the same sensors after all - as I suspected. Thanks for the info.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Cameras with identical sensors can in fact produce different color.
    Not if they are truly identical; I regard everything inside the camera which interacts with a photon, en route to its photoelectric capture, as being part of the sensor makeup. You can't obtain different colour responses unless you alter the selectivity of photon wavelengths. This is why comments on the back-end electronics (and firmware, ISO, noise) are superfluous to the colour question.

See also Credo 60 vs IQ160 (different color science team)
    Did this team change the filtration in front of the silicon?

or hassy h3d-39 vs p45+ (Different everything besides sensor)
    Again, different filtration?

or heck even p45 vs p45+ (Different ir filter, moderate hardware differences).
    Well, you say it yourself - different IR filter. So, not the same sensor setup in my view.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AreBee View Post
    Ray,

The following is an excerpt from comments on the D3x by Thom Hogan, available here in its entirety. I hope it sheds some light on the matter:

Thank you too, Rob, for sharing that excellent extract. I like the way it's phrased: "Nikon was either specifying or applying their own "toppings" (that would be microlenses and Bayer filtration)".

I'd like a chocolate sundae please, with Bayer sprinkles - but hold the microlenses!

Ray

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post

Thank you for the correction. Yes, lenses like the Leica R series using a Leitax adapter with the proper chip included enables Sony's Super Steady Shot, as well as focus confirmation and metering in A mode.

Leica lens for Sony cameras

Interestingly, the previous disadvantages of SSS in the A900 due to OFV viewing, has been eliminated with the A99 because it uses a EVF.

Yes, SSS has been a God sent for those using lenses like the ZA24/2, ZA50/1.4, ZA85/1.4 and the incomparable ZA135/1.8 in "unavailable" light.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Many years ago, if you said something about wanting to get into professional photography, you'd hear the word Hasselblad sometime within the next sentence or two. and the conversation would end there.

You dropped the ball, Hasselblad, you've dropped all of the balls; and a thousand midgets kicked them into the net.
    Not so sure about that. All the Pros that selected Hasselblad H didn't suddenly dump all their gear due to banter on gear forums. That'd be a bad business move.

A friend just did a Cosmo shoot in Tampa as second shooter, and took his H4D/50 because they specifically asked if he worked with MFD ... the Pro was there with two H4D/60s and just about every lens for H system.

It is still the one camera system where all lenses from 24mm to 300 are leaf shutter. Others have started to offer a nice set of LS lenses, but not such a wide array. Even after retiring, I couldn't leave Hasselblad until Leica at least got some of their CS lenses out the door almost 4 years later. Now my Leica S 35mm, 70mm, 120 Macro and 180mm are all CS versions.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Hasselblad is doing a bad job of conveying what they do better. The smartest thing Phase One has done is put their gear in pro's hands, and their 'lease' offer is setup to do just that.

I don't know what I can convey other than Hasselblad isn't doing a good job of outreach and workshops in support of their cameras. Yes, they're making it worse with the distractions of Lunar and such.

Winter is quickly approaching, why doesn't Hasselblad have an active outreach going on?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pnwmf View Post
    Yes, Hasselblad is doing a bad job of conveying what they do better. The smartest thing Phase One has done is put their gear in pro's hands, and their 'lease' offer is setup to do just that.

I don't know what I can convey other than Hasselblad isn't doing a good job of outreach and workshops in support of their cameras. Yes, they're making it worse with the distractions of Lunar and such.

Winter is quickly approaching, why doesn't Hasselblad have an active outreach going on?
    I agree that Hasselblad's marketing has never been aggressive enough nor have they conveyed their innovations and unique attributes in a competitive enough manner.

FYI, as to outreach programs, I get plenty of those e-mails from Hasselblad ... I guess they just don't send that info to everyone in the world.

Shootnyc

Masters Finalist Exhibition

Real world videos:

Hasselblad tv

Lots of tutorials:

English Channel | Hasselblad tv

Innovations:

English Channel | Hasselblad tv

Lots of supported events, seminars, and workshops

Workshops

plus more ...

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure about that. All the Pros that selected Hasselblad H didn't suddenly dump all their gear due to banter on gear forums.
    Goes without saying, but the banter is the fun part, everything you read on the net is a gross exaggeration of the reality. Especially when it comes from me.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pnwmf View Post

Have to say after repeating inquires for test cameras for reviews and supporting any of the workshops I have been involved in , never has Hassy directly been involved outside a Hassy dealer.

Not sure what to think of that.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Hasselblad's marketing has never been aggressive enough nor have they conveyed their innovations and unique attributes in a competitive enough manner.

FYI, as to outreach programs, I get plenty of those e-mails from Hasselblad ... I guess they just don't send that info to everyone in the world.

Lots of supported events, seminars, and workshops

Workshops

plus more ...

-Marc
    Too bad these aren't actually focused on their product - and having taken Ricks speedlite course I can say it's not for MF shooters period (he's all TTL for Nikon or Canon - and only has one set of PW's per system for the entire class). Videos aren't ideal, and talks where you watch someone jabber on isn't helpful.

A proper event is where you:
    - shoot the same image twice, once with your camera, and once with a Hasselblad/Phase One
    - take both raw's and edit them in LR/PS/Phocus/CaptureOne
    - print both at size

Set them next to each other and understand what you're working with.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Hasselblad, and have for about 5 years.

Last month I reached out to the representative in my area, I wanted to try out the new HC50 lens for evaluation. She told me to rent one.

In the past, I have gotten gear for evaluation and H has been very supportive.

Things have changed.
    Ciao,
    Giorgio Niro
    www.giorgioniro.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I visit the websites of medium format suppliers regularly. As a result of that, and probably because there was an option to leave my email address at their websites, I get frequent updates from Phase 1 and Mamiya Leaf by email. This is what I call "Informative Spam". From Hasselblad: Nil. I do subscribe to their FB page though, and get a mix of Lunar/Stellar propaganda (I believe the latest was "Vote for the most beautiful Stellar") and some more or less interesting information about photographers who use Hasselblad. No product information though.

At least for the time being, I wouldn't be able to afford a new Hasselblad, so it doesn't really matter, but Hasselblad doesn't know that. Me thinks it's a mix of arrogance and incompetence, a very dangerous mix if they want to survive in today's market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
    I use Hasselblad, and have for about 5 years.

Last month I reached out to the representative in my area, I wanted to try out the new HC50 lens for evaluation. She told me to rent one.

In the past, I have gotten gear for evaluation and H has been very supportive.

Things have changed.
    Use my dealer, Peter Lorber, in Boca Raton, Fl.
    He accommodates all of my needs and is a world class photographer in addition
    Stanley