The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An odd combo - Digilux 3 and Hassleblad - your thoughts please

chkproductions

I've posted here since I got such good feedback the last time I posted. Here's the thought:

I have a Leica Digilux 3 which for all it's faults it has a very good sensor at base iso. I came across a link in another forum for this:

Kipon Tilt and Shift Adapter for Hasselblad V Mount Lens to Olympus 4 3 Camera | eBay

Then I looked on ebay for a used blad 40mm where I found 1 in a quick search.

My idea was to dedicate this camera and lens setup for stitching 3 vertical shots.

Now whether this is a good idea or not, I wondered what the effective focal length (or field of view) of a 40mm medium format lens would translate into on a standard 4/3 sensor with a 2x crop factor. And then I wondered what makes the lens a V mount lens. And if the 50mm comes as a V mount and not the 40mm as it did look older.

Any answers are appreciated.

chk

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Maybe we should update our Focal Length Visualizer to include 4/3rds sensors?

A lens focal length doesn't change when you change bodies (only how effectively wide it is). So if you own any 40ish mm lenses for your 4/3rds system a Hassy 40mm would look the same (regarding field of view).

Ken_R

Cool adapter although, for me at least, an 80mm (35mm full frame focal length equivalent) lens with shift is not very useful.

chkproductions

Doug and Ken - thanks for your replies. Always good info from this forum. Much what I thought and will now mull over the value of actually doing it. I was hoping that by using a 3 stitched shot I would get wider coverage without wide-angle distortion.

Ken_R

Doug and Ken - thanks for your replies. Always good info from this forum. Much what I thought and will now mull over the value of actually doing it. I was hoping that by using a 3 stitched shot I would get wider coverage without wide-angle distortion.
A great option is to just do a cylindrical panorama by rotating the camera around the nodal point of the lens. The hardest part is actually calibrating the rig so that you know that point. You do that once, mark the spot, and then you can make perfect panoramas over an over.

THIS is what I have to do just that.

Shashin

Wide angle lenses do not distort the image--you are simply viewing it from the wrong place. Technically, it is called the wide-angle effect. You cannot change that. It is just a projection problem.

A cylindrical projection of a stitched pano is not distorted either. It is just that you are not viewing the image correctly--you need to give it the right curvature and view from the center.

Stitching is actually easy. You do not need a nodal slide and can make them handheld. The slide is only really need if there are foreground and background objects--like being in a forest. I just use a macro rail on my Arca Swiss P0.

chkproductions

Ken and Shashin - again thank you much for the replies and good info. I certainly don't want to get off topic on the medium format forum but I have found the people here give some of the best information, without the typical forum editorial comments.

I actually have a pano head that I use along with PTGui where I shoot interiors I do need my camera centered out as I most often have a foreground piece of furniture. It certainly is tricky to get a "normal" feeling of view.

I come here because of the technical camera users and that I feel those cameras are the real answer to doing interiors really well but they are out of my financial reach. So I always hope I find some pointers here which I usually do.

Thanks again.