Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Marseille, FRANCE
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    I'm using a systematic Carbon fiber 3, that i found excellent... but i'm planing a trip to kyoto, and i'm not shire that i want to carry my serie 3 tripod all day long !

    Any good alternative ?

    THANKS

  2. #2
    Senior Member malmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    At the risk of being branded a peasant by other more experience forum members - here is what I did when I travelled to Europe from Australia for 7 weeks earlier this year.

    I took my 645DF with IQ180 back and a couple of lenses, in a Think Tank backpack that was carry on luggage for all international and internal flights we took in UK / Europe.

    I bought a Sirui carbon fibre tripod, that with the head removed actually fitted inside my backpack and I bought a small RRS ball head with a lever clamp that fits my RRS L plate that I leave on my camera all the time. The tripod is 38cm when folded - is beautifully made and the features it has are very good for the price - I bought it from B&H - very happy.

    Yes the tripod is not very tall, but I did long exposure night shots and had good success.
    It also meant I did not have to worry about my tripod being stolen or damaged going in the hold luggage.

    At home I use a large RRS tripod with a cube - but for travelling light this small tripod is a winner for sure.


    Mal

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Not sure what the systematic 3 is, but figure out how much weight you are willing to carry and how tall it needs to be. On some of the 3xxx series Gitzos, you can remove leg sections, so depending on your tripod, you may be able to just remove a section or two and use your tripod. The DF needs a pretty stout tripod IMO. Might also consider a monopod with a small head.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    If you have a MF camera with central shutter, you can use almost any tripod you want, provided you raise the mirror before taking the picture... and I would suppose that you can find a cheap tripod in Japan.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by malmac View Post
    At the risk of being branded a peasant by other more experience forum members - here is what I did when I travelled to Europe from Australia for 7 weeks earlier this year.

    I took my 645DF with IQ180 back and a couple of lenses, in a Think Tank backpack that was carry on luggage for all international and internal flights we took in UK / Europe.

    I bought a Sirui carbon fibre tripod, that with the head removed actually fitted inside my backpack and I bought a small RRS ball head with a lever clamp that fits my RRS L plate that I leave on my camera all the time. The tripod is 38cm when folded - is beautifully made and the features it has are very good for the price - I bought it from B&H - very happy.

    Yes the tripod is not very tall, but I did long exposure night shots and had good success.
    It also meant I did not have to worry about my tripod being stolen or damaged going in the hold luggage.

    At home I use a large RRS tripod with a cube - but for travelling light this small tripod is a winner for sure.


    Mal
    I use a series 2 Gitzo, but it's still too big for easy travel. The Sirui looks attractive. Here's a recent rave review:

    Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    I would not get anything larger than something like the Manfrotto 055 series carbon fiber. However, Japan is a crowded place and getting around with a tripod is not that easy. A Gitzo Reporter or similar might be more practical. I might even forgo the tripod altogether. Speaking as a 16 year resident of Japan.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    I really like the Gitzo Traveller. I usually take it whenever I don't or can't check in luggage but for long trips when I can check in a suitcase I take either my series 2 mountaineer or the series 3. The extra length of the series 3 has come extremely handy in quite a bit of situations specially when working on steep slopes and in and around water. I don't mind carrying it for miles if the terrain is not too steep. If I get into class 2 or 3 terrain then I strap it to the side of my bag. Regarding support the series 2 (2530) is more than adequate. The traveller is a little more iffy so I have to take a lot more care when using it.

  8. #8
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    The Gitzo traveler is somewhat too light and short IMHO with a DF combination. Those spindly legs and lack of height become a pain after a while.

    You might want to take a look at the Feisol CT-3441T and a reasonable head like a Markins Q3T or RRS BH-30 or BH-40 heads. It'll fit in your luggage and is reasonably stiff for a lightweight tripod alternative to a 'real' tripod (so to speak). I use the Feisol without the center column extended and with the short spikes. It's a good travel option although borderline too light if you use longer DF glass.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    So none of you had issues with a tripod in your carry on luggage? I thought (as that's what I have been told) that a tripod is a no go but I never tried.

    Chris

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    So none of you had issues with a tripod in your carry on luggage? I thought (as that's what I have been told) that a tripod is a no go but I never tried.

    Chris
    International flights now allow hockey sticks and small baseball bats as carry-on, I figure tripods are no problem.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Marseille, FRANCE
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    is the Gitzo GT1441T strong enough for MLU pictures with the DF ?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Regarding tripods and carry ones, I've traveled with my RRS TVC-33/BH-55 + RRS case and carried on every time, domestic and international Haven't had a problem to date (knock on wood). That's one of their big ones, so if those can be carried on, surely a smaller one can. It's kinda a PITA to lug around tho, esp with a big camera bag, so I'm definitely looking to get a smaller one in the future.
    Todd

  13. #13
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Twelve posts and no one has yet recommended the Gitzo 5-series giant as a travel tripod? I'm disappointed!

    -Matt

    +1 on the Feisol. It has a narrow base, but if you're careful, it's useful and light.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Twelve posts and no one has yet recommended the Gitzo 5-series giant as a travel tripod? I'm disappointed!

    -Matt

    +1 on the Feisol. It has a narrow base, but if you're careful, it's useful and light.
    Well, I thought I'd hold off on that one. Those who know me know that my real travel tripod is indeed the Gitzo 5561SGT ... with a CUBE ... and spikes.

    The Feisol comes along too in the same Manfrotto bag and I have to check them. The head comes off the Gitzo though.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Twelve posts and no one has yet recommended the Gitzo 5-series giant as a travel tripod? I'm disappointed!

    -Matt
    That's just because I might consider myself a sissy, and am thinking of a Gitzo 4-series for travel and general use, it's less chunky than the 5s.

  16. #16
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Yes, I'm a wimp and only carry the 3542XLS. That extra leg segment *does* come in handy.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Marseille, FRANCE
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Yes, I'm a wimp and only carry the 3542XLS. That extra leg segment *does* come in handy.
    that's my current tripod, a really good choice... but sometimes my back hurts me...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    My problem is not with the tripod itself, it is with the head on that tripod [RRS BH-55], it is really so heavy ballhead, but i will try to use Markins Q3T more to handle the weight, i use Gitzo series 3 tripod as well [GT3541L i think].
    Tareq

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Marseille, FRANCE
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    for the head Arca P0 and Arca D4 are really good !

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Arca Swiss P0 is a great travel head--small, light, and stable. I use it with my Pentax 645D and focal lengths up to 300mm.
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Senior Member alajuela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Shanghai / Miami
    Posts
    552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    124

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Arca Swiss P0 is a great travel head--small, light, and stable. I use it with my Pentax 645D and focal lengths up to 300mm.
    Hi Will
    If I am not mistaken the PO with OEM clamp, is for the new slidefix sytem - which is narrower than the "original" arca style clamp, we all know and love.


    Did you change the clamp on the PO? or were you able to buy the PO with a clamp for original plate?

    Thanks

    Phil

  22. #22
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    I wouldn't buy any Arca product intending to change the clamp without reliable information regarding the ease (or even possibility) of doing so.

  23. #23
    Senior Member alajuela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Shanghai / Miami
    Posts
    552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    124

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Arca Swiss P0 is a great travel head--small, light, and stable. I use it with my Pentax 645D and focal lengths up to 300mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I wouldn't buy any Arca product intending to change the clamp without reliable information regarding the ease (or even possibility) of doing so.
    Hi Stephen

    I agree, - I think this head is also sold w/o the clamp (unlike the Cube). But I am lucky being in the minority of liking the Arca QucikSet FlipLock.

    I just do not intend to change all my plates to the new style Arca (Slide Fix)- which is narrower than the "original" Arca plate.

    Thanks for the "Heads Up"

    Phil

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Hi Will
    If I am not mistaken the PO with OEM clamp, is for the new slidefix sytem - which is narrower than the "original" arca style clamp, we all know and love.


    Did you change the clamp on the PO? or were you able to buy the PO with a clamp for original plate?

    Thanks

    Phil
    I bought my head without a clamp--I don't use quick release systems. I simply have a thick round plate with a normal tripod screw I mounted on the top of the P0.


  25. #25
    Senior Member alajuela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Shanghai / Miami
    Posts
    552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    124

    Re: the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

    [QUOTE=Shashin;540836]I bought my head without a clamp--I don't use quick release systems. I simply have a thick round plate with a normal tripod screw I mounted on the top of the P0.


    Thanks Will

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •