Site Sponsors

Thread: Leaf Aptus Tethering into Lightroom?

Post Thanks / Like

Leaf Aptus Tethering into Lightroom?

Shooting tethered into Lightroom from my Canon gear is a simple matter of plugging a USB cable into the computer and starting the tether function in LR. I don't ever need to control the camera from the computer. All I need to do is have LR display the captured images. So, with this in mind, can the same thing be done with an Aptus-II back via a Firewire cable?

P.S., I know this can be done with Capture One. But as of right now, my preferred software of choice is LR.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leaf Aptus Tethering into Lightroom?

Tethered camera support in Lightroom

Native tethering to your Aptus II is only available in C1 and LC. LR Does not support it.

You could set up a "hot folder" workflow but it'd be much better for you to learn C1. It is world class software.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

When people speak of C1, they assume that others are unfamiliar with it. I started using C1 professionally in 2003. I used it for 3 years before I switch to Bibble Pro for a season. I got tired of always waiting for Phase One to update the supported cameras and their upgrade policies were just plain weird. C1 was great, but Phase One as a company trying to support a more mass market product left a lot to be desired. Anyway, after using BP I was asked to beta LR and I've been with it ever since. C1 underwent a radical UI change and I've never gotten use to it. I can use it, but it just doesn't "flow" in my brain like LR does. And BTW, it's been like that since the beginning for me with LR. I've never read a manual and I've barely had to ask any questions. I could get back to my production state with C1, but LR simply fits my brain better and it does everything I need it to do. Additionally, I don't want to split my workflow. DSLRs in LR and MFDs in C1. I will if I must. But I'd prefer not to.

When I first got my MFD setup, I tested results from LR and C1. And I've been testing/comparing on and off for the past 2 months. I'm pretty critical and I'm simply not seeing a significant difference in results between the two. At least not for what I do and how I process. C1 definately is world class software. But so is Lightroom.

When speaking of tethering, people seem to assume that support must to total. Meaning, being able to control the camera from the software. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems most people just want to be able to capture the images in the software, but shoot from the camera. So adding support for numerous cameras on this level shouldn't be near the work it would take to add full support. That's why I was wondering if Lightroom supported image capture from the Aptus II on this level.

Anyway, for a hot folder workflow, how does one get the images from the Aptus back to a designated folder on the computer?
    Last edited by Mgreer316; 7th October 2013 at 14:19.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mgreer316 View Post
    Anyway, for a hot folder workflow, how does one get the images from the Aptus back to a designated folder on the computer?
    Tether to C1 or LC and use LR to watch the folder the images are arriving into.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I thought there might be a simple utility available. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use auto import in LR. You can find it in the file menu. It's really simple to set up.

If you don't want to run two programs at the same time on your computer, you can use a WiFi card and the auto import feature of LR. I use this method with my Aptus 22 and it works well. It's fast enough if you don't want to take pictures in every second, and you can forget the cable.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the clarity of the OP...

Auto Import = Hot Folder

Two terms for the same thing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fabee View Post
    You can use auto import in LR. You can find it in the file menu. It's really simple to set up.

If you don't want to run two programs at the same time on your computer, you can use a WiFi card and the auto import feature of LR. I use this method with my Aptus 22 and it works well. It's fast enough if you don't want to take pictures in every second, and you can forget the cable.
    This would definitely be preferable. But I haven't come across a viable CF card based WiFi solution. I already have an Eye-Fi SD card which works great in my 5D MKIII's SD slot. But those inserted in a CF card adapter don't worked too well. So, what are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I don't like the "new" C1 interface either but it's fairly straight forward to use it for tethering. The added benefit would also be the Pilot app (for viewing images by a third party).

Post Thanks / Like

V,

How you doing buddy? Feels a little like old times on the DWF. I made a brief attempt to tether my 5D MKIII to C1 and it didn't connect. I then did a little reading online and it seems connecting C1 to some Canon bodies can be a little fickle. So I'm going to go back and try again. With LR the connection fired up in about 2 seconds. The Pilot app does offer some intriguing possibilities though. My back is being serviced now. So when I get it back I'll try to connect with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm good ... keep trying to keep this thing call photography going

C1 broke the tethering with Canon on one of their versions (don't recall which one) and I had to go back a couple iterations to v6.something (not in front of my computer) so that might be the problem (I have the MKII). Supposedly, v7 should be fine (I had issues with v7 on my Mac and took it off so I didn't try it).

p.s. I sometimes miss the old DWF ... good old times
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Mike,

I don't like the "new" C1 interface either but it's fairly straight forward to use it for tethering. The added benefit would also be the Pilot app (for viewing images by a third party).
    Viewing and editing. You can rate and color tag images from the app.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    I'm good ... keep trying to keep this thing call photography going

C1 broke the tethering with Canon on one of their versions (don't recall which one) and I had to go back a couple iterations to v6.something (not in front of my computer) so that might be the problem (I have the MKII). Supposedly, v7 should be fine (I had issues with v7 on my Mac and took it off so I didn't try it).

p.s. I sometimes miss the old DWF ... good old times
    6.4.5 or 7.1.4 will both do great with Canon tethering in 10.7 or 10.8.

There were some earlier versions of C1 for which Canon + 10.7 or 10.8 didn't work or didn't work well. But that's not relevant anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on a PC. Any issues with Win7?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm on a PC. Any issues with Win7?
    Shouldn't be. Though in the Windows world there are so many motherboards and components that it can be a bit of a crap shoot. But if it's working find with LR you shouldn't have any problems with Capture One 7.1.4 or 6.4.5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Shouldn't be. Though in the Windows world there are so many motherboards and components that it can be a bit of a crap shoot. But if it's working find with LR you shouldn't have any problems with Capture One 7.1.4 or 6.4.5.
    Well, it didn't connect with whatever version I have installed, but I did get an upgrade notice for my C1 v7 that I haven't installed yet. Maybe that'll do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On a PC your best and most straightforward option is to shoot, edit and process in Capture One. LightRoom won't recognise Aptus files that were shot into Capture One and the only workaround is to use our Raw Converter which re-saves the files in a format that LR recognises. This is not an automated flow so again Capture One is your friend there

Make sure you use a good FW PCI board, one that can be powered off the internal power supply of your PC. If it is a laptop you will need a powered repeater

BR

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

This is what's bothering me. I chose a Leaf back (same applies to a P1 back) over a HxD system exactly because of openness. In general, I'm an open systems guy. That's one of many reasons why I personallyddon't use Apple products. Of course, there are advantages to closed the systems. Each individual must choose what's best for them. Anyway, I'm feeling this "pressure" from many different arenas to conform and just use C1. I hear all the reasons, but the reasons don't jibe with my experience. Plus, C1 simply is not the best tool for my business. If you want to promote the advantageof oopenness when comparing to the competition, then be open! Canon offers their DPP software. But how many use it? No, you can't force Adobe to support tethering from digital backs. But you can make capturing to a computer easy with a utility and not force the use C1. Again, Canon does this with their EOS Utility.

Post Thanks / Like

Mgreer316 - Like you I'm an open systems guy and chose Windows for that reason.

Eventually I just had to suck it up and use C1 for my P45+. I shoot into it and when i'm done I export into LR.

Post Thanks / Like

Andy,

I'll probably end up doing the same. And maybe if a basic tethering option into LR was available I'd still end up in C1. It's just this "it's best for you if you just use C1" mentality that I don't like. If I come to that conclusion based on my experience and my requirements, then fine. But when others tell me what's best for me without knowing me, my expertise, my applications, my experience, my business, etc., it just irks the heck out of me.

The fact is I really don't need to tether anything. It might prove beneficial in some applications. That's what I'm trying to evaluate. And that's the reason for exploring the options.

Post Thanks / Like

This would definitely be preferable. But I haven't come across a viable CF card based WiFi solution. I already have an Eye-Fi SD card which works great in my 5D MKIII's SD slot. But those inserted in a CF card adapter don't worked too well. So, what are you using?

I use the same method: Eye-Fi card in a CF card adapter. I cannot say that it works 100%, but it's fine for interior or still life photography I think. If my notebook is close (about 2 meters) to the camera the transfer speed is about 15-30 sec per picture. Sometimes the connection lost, but it's easy to reconnect. So it's not the perfect solution, but I like it. I hate cables. And I just cannot use my digital back tethered on MacBook Air without repeater wich means more and more cables. On Phase One P backs you can use the battery when you use the back tethered, so any kind of firewire port is good for you, but on the aptus 22 the firewire port is under the battery, so it's only usable with powered firewire port. So this method is not for me, I prefer the wifi solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Which CF card adapter do you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andy,

I'll probably end up doing the same. And maybe if a basic tethering option into LR was available I'd still end up in C1. It's just this "it's best for you if you just use C1" mentality that I don't like. If I come to that conclusion based on my experience and my requirements, then fine. But when others tell me what's best for me without knowing me, my expertise, my applications, my experience, my business, etc., it just irks the heck out of me.

The fact is I really don't need to tether anything. It might prove beneficial in some applications. That's what I'm trying to evaluate. And that's the reason for exploring the options.
    My "mentality" comes from years of experience with thousands of customers on different cameras, different OS platforms and different applications.

You are welcome to try Leaf Capture 11.2.9 but if your back is an Aptus-II 8 or Aptus-II 12 it will not work. If it is a II 5, II 10 or II 7 let me know and I'll send you a link

If it works you can shoot into Leaf Capture and set LR to watch the Shots folder, much like with your Canon

BR

Yair
    Last edited by yaya; 9th October 2013 at 04:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Which CF card adapter do you use?
    3rd generation noname adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    My "mentality" comes from years of experience with thousands of customers on different cameras, different OS platforms and different applications.
    Fair enough. But that's also the danger in that it's easy for you to put everybody into the same bin. I've taught for over a decade, I've conducted seminars at national conventions, but most importantly, I know me. I just don't react well when somebody tells me what's best for me when they don't know me. Even though they may be right. If there's only one choice, then there's only one choice. Case closed. But part of this thread was to discover what my options were, if any. If there are options, what are they and will they work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

If it works you can shoot into Leaf Capture and set LR to watch the Shots folder, much like with your Canon

BR

Yair
    Point me to a version of LC that runs on a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Point me to a version of LC that runs on a PC.
    There must be a windows-version of Leaf Capture; it's an older version 11.2.9 - but it runs: see here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christian you beat me to it :-)

To the OP many of these issues and questions can be resolved and/ or answered by talking to your dealer or to our support team via a support case:Contact Mamiya Leaf/ Phase One Support
    I come on here to help and have been doing so for many years. I sometimes mistakenly assume that people know me and my background. Therefore if someone asks what are the options for shooting tethered into Lightroom on a PC, I would just tell them what these options are (not many as you can see). I'm not forcing you to choose anything but as the manufacturer I think I have enough authority (and the right), in this specific case, to tell you what's the best way for you in my opinion. If you end up proving me wrong then I won't have any issue with that since we, after all, are all here to share and learn.

My contact details are below so please feel free to contact me offline should you wish to discuss this further

All the best and enjoy your camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Christian you beat me to it :-)

To the OP many of these issues and questions can be resolved and/ or answered by talking to your dealer or to our support team via a support case:Contact Mamiya Leaf/ Phase One Support
    I come on here to help and have been doing so for many years. I sometimes mistakenly assume that people know me and my background. Therefore if someone asks what are the options for shooting tethered into Lightroom on a PC, I would just tell them what these options are (not many as you can see). I'm not forcing you to choose anything but as the manufacturer I think I have enough authority (and the right), in this specific case, to tell you what's the best way for you in my opinion. If you end up proving me wrong then I won't have any issue with that since we, after all, are all here to share and learn.

My contact details are below so please feel free to contact me offline should you wish to discuss this further

All the best and enjoy your camera!
    Thanks. I will enjoy my cameras (both 645DF and RX67) when I get my back back from the Macgroup tomorrow. The back according to them was "way" out of focus. From the moment I got them in mid July, almost everything I shot with either camera was out of focus. But due to discovering the focus issue, vacations, kids back to school, shoots, etc., I hadn't taken the time to chronicle the problem and send the gear in for servicing until last week. So I'm anxious to get it back and see what they can really do.

I wanna clear something up. Text based communications can convey the wrong message many times. I don't or didn't mean to come off as mean in my comments. You're right in that I don't know you or your background. But you and others in the forum (except a few) don't know mine either. I believe Valentin has been here at least for a little while. He probably knows me and my background better than anybody else here. I'm an engineer by degree and a professional photographer for the past 15 years or so. By nature, I test EVERYTHING. Frequently, I find myself in disagreement with recognized experts on various technical things. Be they matters of technical facts or matters of subjectivity. So I don't necessarily trust what's stated or said. I trust what I test. Yes, many times I waste my time because what's been said or told to me proved to be accurate. But in testing, I know.

So, when somebody tells me what's best for me, I know they believe it. But I don't know that because I need to evaluate for myself. As I said, many times I find these may be true for others, but not for me and my application. It's not so the questioning of other people's knowledge, but me knowing me and how I do things (many times in a non standard way). Also, it's not out of the realm of possibility that if I don't find what I'm looking off the shelf or a kludged solution, I'll pay to have a custom solution developed. But until I know all of the alternatives, there's no way for me to know.

So if I offended, please accept my apologies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks. I will enjoy my cameras (both 645DF and RX67) when I get my back back from the Macgroup tomorrow. The back according to them was "way" out of focus. From the moment I got them in mid July, almost everything I shot with either camera was out of focus. But due to discovering the focus issue, vacations, kids back to school, shoots, etc., I hadn't taken the time to chronicle the problem and send the gear in for servicing until last week. So I'm anxious to get it back and see what they can really do.

I wanna clear something up. Text based communications can convey the wrong message many times. I don't or didn't mean to come off as mean in my comments. You're right in that I don't know you or your background. But you and others in the forum (except a few) don't know mine either. I believe Valentin has been here at least for a little while. He probably knows me and my background better than anybody else here. I'm an engineer by degree and a professional photographer for the past 15 years or so. By nature, I test EVERYTHING. Frequently, I find myself in disagreement with recognized experts on various technical things. Be they matters of technical facts or matters of subjectivity. So I don't necessarily trust what's stated or said. I trust what I test. Yes, many times I waste my time because what's been said or told to me proved to be accurate. But in testing, I know.

So, when somebody tells me what's best for me, I know they believe it. But I don't know that because I need to evaluate for myself. As I said, many times I find these may be true for others, but not for me and my application. It's not so the questioning of other people's knowledge, but me knowing me and how I do things (many times in a non standard way). Also, it's not out of the realm of possibility that if I don't find what I'm looking off the shelf or a kludged solution, I'll pay to have a custom solution developed. But until I know all of the alternatives, there's no way for me to know.

So if I offended, please accept my apologies.
    I studied and worked as an industrial designer for a few years before entering the world of photography so I sort of understand where you're coming from and will often behave the same way as you do, therefore no offence taken!

BR

Yair
    Last edited by yaya; 10th October 2013 at 14:15.

Post Thanks / Like

I come on here to help and have been doing so for many years. I sometimes mistakenly assume that people know me and my background....
    On a different note, I look forward to meeting you and put a face behind the name (I'll be at Fotocare on the 24th).

Best,
    Valentin

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone,

I just found this thread, while looking for a solution for my current problems with C1.

I use a Leaf Atpus-II currently with C1 on Windows 7 and 8. The images are directly tethered to C1. My problem is the following:

I take a picture named "abc123".
    I delete the picture in C1.
    I take a new picture which should be named again "abc123"
    But now C1 does not show the new image but the image I just deleted.

When I look in the Windows Explorer I see the new picture and not the one shown in C1.

That makes working nearly impossible.

That is also why I thought about switching to Lightroom. But there is an another Problem: I read that tethering into Lightroom with my Aptus-II 8 is not possible, not even with the ACR-software.

Has anyone an idea which could help me to solve my problems?

Greetings from Berlin. Eva123

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Eva,

95%+ of our customers are Mac based, but on the mac there was a similar bug a while ago. But it was fixed a few versions ago.

Have you logged this issue at support.phaseone.com?

Are you running the latest version of C1? 7.2?