The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Could this take a digital back - Plaubel 69W Proshift

chkproductions

Another off the wall thought.

I wonder if SKGrimes could retro this camera to accept a digital back?

HTML:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EX-Plaubel-69W-ProShift-6x9-camera-w-Schneider-Super-Angulon-47mm-5-6-MC-/251312580571?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3a8365a7db
My expected replies are something like _"Why would you?" "Never" "A waste of money"

But thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks

Ken_R

Short answer, No.

Long answer, I am sure someone could adapt one but would be a waste of a good bit of money.

:D

Geoff

Have a friend who did this - I think he took a Graflok adapter plate and had it cut down to fit to the Horseman.

narikin

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not worth it, even assuming it could be made to happen. You'd be better off tracking down an Alpa SWA or Cambo, either of which accomplish the same thing and takes modern digital lenses. If you don't need the shift movement, an Alpa TC body is almost 'affordable' at ~$2000. You sometimes see them here or in LuLA's For Sale forum even cheaper.
If you're looking for affordable in this genre you'l find that after adding a lens, grip, adapter plate, and a viewfinder the cost of a Cambo RC-400 kit is $2k-$4k less than a Alpa TC kit, while offering greater flexibility (i.e. shift) for a very minor increase in size/weight. That's for a new system; hard to compare used since these systems don't come up often enough to have a good sample size, and you have to find a used kit with your desired mount and lens for best economy.

kdphotography

"[T]he cost of a Cambo RC-400 kit is $2k-$4k less than a Alpa TC kit, ..."

And worth it.
Which one? --the Alpa or the Cambo? Both? :)

I think it best to outfit the camera platform that will suit your needs best---and build your kit up from there. (Alpa, Cambo, Arca). If you're going to use a MFDB, might as well make sure your main platform is a good one first.

I still have an urge to get a graflock adapter and attach my IQ180 to an old Graflex Speed Graphic. It might be kinda fun in a sick Holga-ish lens kinda way...
But I've already got my main camera platform so really only needing that adapter plate.

chkproductions

As always, I get the best information from this forum. Thank you all for your replies and experience. I am nearing that edge where I take the plunge into a TC and this is where I come to continue to accept those small nudges till I'm over that edge. Thanks again. Obviously you can tell how budget sensitive I am. I will now spend some more time reading up one the cameras you all have posted here.

chkproductions

I had posted a Thank you for all the good replies and info to my question but it didn't take. I am now keenly interested in the Cambo RC-400. Thanks again.

ondebanks

Another off the wall thought.

I wonder if SKGrimes could retro this camera to accept a digital back?

HTML:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EX-Plaubel-69W-ProShift-6x9-camera-w-Schneider-Super-Angulon-47mm-5-6-MC-/251312580571?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3a8365a7db
My expected replies are something like _"Why would you?" "Never" "A waste of money"

But thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks
Anyone ever have or use the Plaubel? I always wondered whether the Mamiya Press back that design "borrowed" was removable/interchangeable.

Ray