The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

sortvitt

I am about to buy my first Hasselblad, a H5D-50 body, and hope to hear some thoughts on what kit to include in a bundle. I will be using a 100mm 2.2 both in studio and on trips abroad. Work is mostly portraits and landscape. Besides a spare battery what are the must-have's for the H5D?

jduncan

Hi,

Jokes aside, If you will be doing very long sessions on the studio you could always buy the power adapter (DC Power grip). Normally is not needed.

One of the strengths of the H system us that is very complete.

I will suggest the remote release cord for landscapes.

Could you provide some extra information? do you have old 5 series lenses you want to use? are you buying any other lens? Are you using your H with and iPad?

Best regards,

J. Duncan

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If you tether I would add a second firewire cable. If you lose, damage, or find problems with your main firewire cable it's nice to have another one ready to go rather than have to source it at the time of a problem.

Last edited:

yaya

Unless you are a one-lens type of shooter I would suggest that you look at something a bit wider than 100mm for landscapes (50mm?) and something a bit longer for tight head shots (150mm?)

Yair

Bildifokus

I don't know if it's a must have, but an iPad and iPhone connected with Phocus and your tethered camera is nice. The 35-90 zoom could be an alternative to fixed lenses. Sure, it's big and heavy but it delivers! Next thing is to program your buttons, for example white balance shot and self release accessed by one pressed button. That is nice and useful features. :)

BANKER1

+1 on the 35-90. The above recommendation for the 150 is also a good choice. And finally, I would love to have the 24. So, if anyone wants my 35, the proceeds would be a nice downpayment for my wish list 24.

Greg

KeithL

A Really Right Stuff L Bracket transforms working from a tripod but you'd need to check that the current version for H1/H2/H3/H4 will fit H5.

fotografz

Long time Hasselblad H user here... including traveling with one.

Suggested additions specifically with travel in mind:

Spare battery charger and at least two spare grip batteries. The battery for the H5 is the new longer lasting one, but the H5 uses more power that the H4, so maybe get three grip batteries. The spare charger helps to do 2 batteries at once ... and assures that if one goes down you aren't stranded with none.

HC 1.7X Extender. Mount this to the 100/2.2 and you have a 170/3.7 ... negligible effect on IQ even with a 60 back. DAC corrections apply.

Add an extension tube and the 100/2.2 goes macro. I still use this combo on my Leica S2 for commercial product work.

Consider a HC 50/3.5-II and the new HC Close-Up adapter specifically designed to match the 50-II optical formula but can be used on other lenses ... the 50-II is probably the best lens in the whole H system now, and the CU adapter takes it up close and personal.

Or, the 35-90 Zoom ... slow and heavy and best on a tripod, but terrific IQ ... a bit much to carry as a second lens to the 100/2.2 and 1.7X extender IMO. Needs expensive and big 95mm filters where the 50 and 100 use the same size. A lot easier to walk about with a H camera and 50mm ... trust me on this.

If this is the only camera you'll be using on a tripod when traveling, I'd get the H Quick Release coupler. While the ARCA release is the most popular, it adds a big plate to the bottom of the camera ... the plate for the H Quick Coupler is already built into the camera base ... no plate needed, and no tools needed to tighten it either.

Other non-travel related suggestions:

If you shoot tethered, a tether support from Tether Tools to help support the FW cord to ease the torque on the camera's FW 800 port ... probably one of the key reasons some people have so many re-booting issues with some of these MFD cameras IMO.

Unless they changed deliverables in a kit, the camera already comes with two firewire cords ... one with FW800 at both ends, one with 800 at one end, 400 at the other. In my experience, the spare to buy is the 800/400 because 800 ports on computers tend to be more flakey than 400 ports (... but NOT a FW cord from Paramount Cords because the 800 end is too fat ... unless the FW800 port in the H5 has been made larger).

Hope this helps,

- Marc

sortvitt

Hi,

Jokes aside, If you will be doing very long sessions on the studio you could always buy the power adapter (DC Power grip). Normally is not needed.

One of the strengths of the H system us that is very complete.

I will suggest the remote release cord for landscapes.

Could you provide some extra information? do you have old 5 series lenses you want to use? are you buying any other lens? Are you using your H with and iPad?

Best regards,

J. Duncan
Battery capacity seem to be a challenge, so the DC grip is a good idea.
I have a Leica S system with lenses covering a wider range. I got the Hasselblad 100mm to fill a gap in the Leica lineup and liked it a lot. I might add a 35-90 later, but the 100mm is it for now.
Yes, I will be using the iPad as well.

sortvitt

A Really Right Stuff L Bracket transforms working from a tripod but you'd need to check that the current version for H1/H2/H3/H4 will fit H5.
Keith,
RRS is great. I use it on my other two cameras and will check if they have a version out for the H5.

sortvitt

Thanks a lot! How do you usually travel with your gear? What would you recommend in terms of hardcases, bags or both?

Long time Hasselblad H user here... including traveling with one.

Suggested additions specifically with travel in mind:

Spare battery charger and at least two spare grip batteries. The battery for the H5 is the new longer lasting one, but the H5 uses more power that the H4, so maybe get three grip batteries. The spare charger helps to do 2 batteries at once ... and assures that if one goes down you aren't stranded with none.

HC 1.7X Extender. Mount this to the 100/2.2 and you have a 170/3.7 ... negligible effect on IQ even with a 60 back. DAC corrections apply.

Add an extension tube and the 100/2.2 goes macro. I still use this combo on my Leica S2 for commercial product work.

Consider a HC 50/3.5-II and the new HC Close-Up adapter specifically designed to match the 50-II optical formula but can be used on other lenses ... the 50-II is probably the best lens in the whole H system now, and the CU adapter takes it up close and personal.

Or, the 35-90 Zoom ... slow and heavy and best on a tripod, but terrific IQ ... a bit much to carry as a second lens to the 100/2.2 and 1.7X extender IMO. Needs expensive and big 95mm filters where the 50 and 100 use the same size. A lot easier to walk about with a H camera and 50mm ... trust me on this.

If this is the only camera you'll be using on a tripod when traveling, I'd get the H Quick Release coupler. While the ARCA release is the most popular, it adds a big plate to the bottom of the camera ... the plate for the H Quick Coupler is already built into the camera base ... no plate needed, and no tools needed to tighten it either.

Other non-travel related suggestions:

If you shoot tethered, a tether support from Tether Tools to help support the FW cord to ease the torque on the camera's FW 800 port ... probably one of the key reasons some people have so many re-booting issues with some of these MFD cameras IMO.

Unless they changed deliverables in a kit, the camera already comes with two firewire cords ... one with FW800 at both ends, one with 800 at one end, 400 at the other. In my experience, the spare to buy is the 800/400 because 800 ports on computers tend to be more flakey than 400 ports (... but NOT a FW cord from Paramount Cords because the 800 end is too fat ... unless the FW800 port in the H5 has been made larger).

Hope this helps,

- Marc

jecxz

Given the excellent responses so far I'm surprised no one has mentioned that you should get a firmware and software update from the Hasselblad website. The latest includes a number of improvements for the H5D. I've cut and pasted the update info below:

For your information we will be releasing a new sensor unit firmware version 2.4.3R for all H5D Cameras. At the same time we will also release new firmware for all H5D Camera bodies: H5D131008.hbf.

The above mentioned releases are now available for immediate download from Hasselbladusa.com and all global sites.

H5D-40, H5D-50, H5D-50MS and H5D-200MS updating from 1.5.3R:
•Faster start-up time
•Technical camera mode (Flash sync and pinhole)
•Low battery warning on sensor unit display
•High temperature warning
•Double click on release button enters menu on sensor unit display
•Support for GPS module (GIL)
•Folder view
•Improved histogram
•Improved 9-view
•Language support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese

H5D-60 updating from 2.3.3R:
•Technical camera mode (Flash sync and pinhole)
•Language support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese

H5D131008.hbf new features since H5D130506.hbf:
•Added True Focus functionality when using the H1.7x Converter
•When using extension tubes or the Macro Converter with True Focus, no focus correction is added and the IFC cursor is always placed in the centre.
•Added support for the H5D-60
•Stability improvements
•Minor GUI corrections
•Now possible to set ISO on camera grip when tethered.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
derek jecxz {photographer}
www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

hcubell

I am about to buy my first Hasselblad, a H5D-50 body, and hope to hear some thoughts on what kit to include in a bundle. I will be using a 100mm 2.2 both in studio and on trips abroad. Work is mostly portraits and landscape. Besides a spare battery what are the must-have's for the H5D?
Must haves? A bulletproof backup that is capable of performing at a "comparable" level to your H5D. This will save your bacon on a trip abroad when, not if, your H5D fails at some point. I use an IQ180 and carry two H2 bodies with me on trips along with a Nikon D800E. This is based upon extensive and painful experiences over the years.

Enjoy the H5D. It is a terrific camera that is capable of beautiful imagery.

fotografz

Thanks a lot! How do you usually travel with your gear? What would you recommend in terms of hardcases, bags or both?
Personally, I've always carried on the smaller Think-Tank Airport rollers that fit the over-head bins, or for sure under the seat.

I pack a Think-Tank lens bag in with my checked baggage so I can go mobile with camera in hand and a lens or two. The lens bags come in 2 lens and 3 lens varieties. Larger diameter lenses like the HC24, 28, 35, the zooms, 120 and 300 and will not fit in these lens bags, but the 1.7X, extension tubes, 50-II, 80, 100, 150N, and 210 will.

- Marc

jerome_m

Must haves? A bulletproof backup that is capable of performing at a "comparable" level to your H5D.
Now, that is the most sensible advice I see here. Especially when one considers that the H5D is still quite new and that its firmware may not be entirely stable yet...

evgeny

Is Hasselblad Quick Release Coupler has plastic parts that can compromise camera security, especially when the camera is at angle in Portrait position with a heavy lens?

Is Quick Release Coupler has an Arca Swiss base or need to be coupled with an Arca Swiss plate?

Also, can you recommend a remote radio to release H4D/H5D camera shutter, for example, for non-tethered self/group portraits?

Any experience with the Hasselblad Focusing Screen Acute-Matte D HS-Grid?

Thanks
Evgeny

jerome_m

The Hasselblad quick release coupler mounts on a standard tripod screw (small and big thread). The camera is quite securely hold by it, even when pointing down with an heavy lens. There are a few plastic parts (front and locking lever), but the coupler locks the camera plate with sliding dovetails, just like Arca Swiss does.

fotografz

Is Hasselblad Quick Release Coupler has plastic parts that can compromise camera security, especially when the camera is at angle in Portrait position with a heavy lens?

Is Quick Release Coupler has an Arca Swiss base or need to be coupled with an Arca Swiss plate?

Also, can you recommend a remote radio to release H4D/H5D camera shutter, for example, for non-tethered self/group portraits?

Thanks
Evgeny
The only plastic piece on the H QR Coupler is a cosmetic front cover that has nothing to do with the actual working parts which are all heavy duty. It's a double safety type which requires pressing a separate lever down to release a safety pin, after you release the main lever.

It is the same unit that originally was used for 500 and 200 V cameras which also has the camera plate built in ... and larger Zeiss and Hasselblad telephotos that came with the plate built into the lens foot ... including up to 500mm

You can also get separate camera plates, which are very low profile, for use on other cameras.

I have a couple left over from when I had my V and H systems, plus some extra camera plates ... PM me if interested.

- Marc

jduncan

Thanks
Evgeny
Hi,

If the issues is that you need to go out of the setting because of the ligthing or mirrors etc, you can trigger the camera using an iPhone by example :https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phocus-mobile/id411637574?mt=8

Now, in the other hand I can't phantom myself using a medium format camera for casual self portraits. The idea of leaving 30K US$ dollars unattended for the next guy to kick the tripod is chilling. There is a reason many crowded places have a no tripod rule.

Maybe is me following my engineering "respect Murphy" mindset.

I have never use one, but this two claim to work:

Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote RCW-C1 B&H Photo Video

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-compatible-Hasselblad-Release-Wireless/dp/B003PHJWS6

The BH people should be able to confirm if it works with the H5D

Best regards,

J. Duncan.