Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    I am about to buy my first Hasselblad, a H5D-50 body, and hope to hear some thoughts on what kit to include in a bundle. I will be using a 100mm 2.2 both in studio and on trips abroad. Work is mostly portraits and landscape. Besides a spare battery what are the must-have's for the H5D?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Two spare batteries instead of one... make that three spares instead.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica, central america
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Hi,

    Jokes aside, If you will be doing very long sessions on the studio you could always buy the power adapter (DC Power grip). Normally is not needed.


    One of the strengths of the H system us that is very complete.

    I will suggest the remote release cord for landscapes.

    Could you provide some extra information? do you have old 5 series lenses you want to use? are you buying any other lens? Are you using your H with and iPad?

    Best regards,

    J. Duncan

  4. #4
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    If you tether I would add a second firewire cable. If you lose, damage, or find problems with your main firewire cable it's nice to have another one ready to go rather than have to source it at the time of a problem.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 10th October 2013 at 11:51.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  5. #5
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Unless you are a one-lens type of shooter I would suggest that you look at something a bit wider than 100mm for landscapes (50mm?) and something a bit longer for tight head shots (150mm?)

    Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bildifokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden, Spain
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    I don't know if it's a must have, but an iPad and iPhone connected with Phocus and your tethered camera is nice. The 35-90 zoom could be an alternative to fixed lenses. Sure, it's big and heavy but it delivers! Next thing is to program your buttons, for example white balance shot and self release accessed by one pressed button. That is nice and useful features.
    http://www.bildifokus.se
    Follow me on Facebook
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    +1 on the 35-90. The above recommendation for the 150 is also a good choice. And finally, I would love to have the 24. So, if anyone wants my 35, the proceeds would be a nice downpayment for my wish list 24.

    Greg

  8. #8
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    A Really Right Stuff L Bracket transforms working from a tripod but you'd need to check that the current version for H1/H2/H3/H4 will fit H5.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Long time Hasselblad H user here... including traveling with one.

    Suggested additions specifically with travel in mind:

    Spare battery charger and at least two spare grip batteries. The battery for the H5 is the new longer lasting one, but the H5 uses more power that the H4, so maybe get three grip batteries. The spare charger helps to do 2 batteries at once ... and assures that if one goes down you aren't stranded with none.

    HC 1.7X Extender. Mount this to the 100/2.2 and you have a 170/3.7 ... negligible effect on IQ even with a 60 back. DAC corrections apply.

    Add an extension tube and the 100/2.2 goes macro. I still use this combo on my Leica S2 for commercial product work.

    Consider a HC 50/3.5-II and the new HC Close-Up adapter specifically designed to match the 50-II optical formula but can be used on other lenses ... the 50-II is probably the best lens in the whole H system now, and the CU adapter takes it up close and personal.

    Or, the 35-90 Zoom ... slow and heavy and best on a tripod, but terrific IQ ... a bit much to carry as a second lens to the 100/2.2 and 1.7X extender IMO. Needs expensive and big 95mm filters where the 50 and 100 use the same size. A lot easier to walk about with a H camera and 50mm ... trust me on this.

    If this is the only camera you'll be using on a tripod when traveling, I'd get the H Quick Release coupler. While the ARCA release is the most popular, it adds a big plate to the bottom of the camera ... the plate for the H Quick Coupler is already built into the camera base ... no plate needed, and no tools needed to tighten it either.

    Other non-travel related suggestions:

    If you shoot tethered, a tether support from Tether Tools to help support the FW cord to ease the torque on the camera's FW 800 port ... probably one of the key reasons some people have so many re-booting issues with some of these MFD cameras IMO.

    Unless they changed deliverables in a kit, the camera already comes with two firewire cords ... one with FW800 at both ends, one with 800 at one end, 400 at the other. In my experience, the spare to buy is the 800/400 because 800 ports on computers tend to be more flakey than 400 ports (... but NOT a FW cord from Paramount Cords because the 800 end is too fat ... unless the FW800 port in the H5 has been made larger).

    Hope this helps,

    - Marc

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Hi,

    Jokes aside, If you will be doing very long sessions on the studio you could always buy the power adapter (DC Power grip). Normally is not needed.


    One of the strengths of the H system us that is very complete.

    I will suggest the remote release cord for landscapes.

    Could you provide some extra information? do you have old 5 series lenses you want to use? are you buying any other lens? Are you using your H with and iPad?

    Best regards,

    J. Duncan
    Battery capacity seem to be a challenge, so the DC grip is a good idea.
    I have a Leica S system with lenses covering a wider range. I got the Hasselblad 100mm to fill a gap in the Leica lineup and liked it a lot. I might add a 35-90 later, but the 100mm is it for now.
    Yes, I will be using the iPad as well.

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    A Really Right Stuff L Bracket transforms working from a tripod but you'd need to check that the current version for H1/H2/H3/H4 will fit H5.
    Keith,
    RRS is great. I use it on my other two cameras and will check if they have a version out for the H5.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Thanks a lot! How do you usually travel with your gear? What would you recommend in terms of hardcases, bags or both?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Long time Hasselblad H user here... including traveling with one.

    Suggested additions specifically with travel in mind:

    Spare battery charger and at least two spare grip batteries. The battery for the H5 is the new longer lasting one, but the H5 uses more power that the H4, so maybe get three grip batteries. The spare charger helps to do 2 batteries at once ... and assures that if one goes down you aren't stranded with none.

    HC 1.7X Extender. Mount this to the 100/2.2 and you have a 170/3.7 ... negligible effect on IQ even with a 60 back. DAC corrections apply.

    Add an extension tube and the 100/2.2 goes macro. I still use this combo on my Leica S2 for commercial product work.

    Consider a HC 50/3.5-II and the new HC Close-Up adapter specifically designed to match the 50-II optical formula but can be used on other lenses ... the 50-II is probably the best lens in the whole H system now, and the CU adapter takes it up close and personal.

    Or, the 35-90 Zoom ... slow and heavy and best on a tripod, but terrific IQ ... a bit much to carry as a second lens to the 100/2.2 and 1.7X extender IMO. Needs expensive and big 95mm filters where the 50 and 100 use the same size. A lot easier to walk about with a H camera and 50mm ... trust me on this.

    If this is the only camera you'll be using on a tripod when traveling, I'd get the H Quick Release coupler. While the ARCA release is the most popular, it adds a big plate to the bottom of the camera ... the plate for the H Quick Coupler is already built into the camera base ... no plate needed, and no tools needed to tighten it either.

    Other non-travel related suggestions:

    If you shoot tethered, a tether support from Tether Tools to help support the FW cord to ease the torque on the camera's FW 800 port ... probably one of the key reasons some people have so many re-booting issues with some of these MFD cameras IMO.

    Unless they changed deliverables in a kit, the camera already comes with two firewire cords ... one with FW800 at both ends, one with 800 at one end, 400 at the other. In my experience, the spare to buy is the 800/400 because 800 ports on computers tend to be more flakey than 400 ports (... but NOT a FW cord from Paramount Cords because the 800 end is too fat ... unless the FW800 port in the H5 has been made larger).

    Hope this helps,

    - Marc

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Given the excellent responses so far I'm surprised no one has mentioned that you should get a firmware and software update from the Hasselblad website. The latest includes a number of improvements for the H5D. I've cut and pasted the update info below:

    For your information we will be releasing a new sensor unit firmware version 2.4.3R for all H5D Cameras. At the same time we will also release new firmware for all H5D Camera bodies: H5D131008.hbf.

    The above mentioned releases are now available for immediate download from Hasselbladusa.com and all global sites.

    H5D-40, H5D-50, H5D-50MS and H5D-200MS updating from 1.5.3R:
    •Faster start-up time
    •Technical camera mode (Flash sync and pinhole)
    •Low battery warning on sensor unit display
    •High temperature warning
    •Double click on release button enters menu on sensor unit display
    •Support for GPS module (GIL)
    •Folder view
    •Improved histogram
    •Improved 9-view
    •Language support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese

    H5D-60 updating from 2.3.3R:
    •Technical camera mode (Flash sync and pinhole)
    •Language support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese

    H5D131008.hbf new features since H5D130506.hbf:
    •Added True Focus functionality when using the H1.7x Converter
    •When using extension tubes or the Macro Converter with True Focus, no focus correction is added and the IFC cursor is always placed in the centre.
    •Added support for the H5D-60
    •Stability improvements
    •Minor GUI corrections
    •Now possible to set ISO on camera grip when tethered.

    Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    derek jecxz {photographer}
    www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by sortvitt View Post
    I am about to buy my first Hasselblad, a H5D-50 body, and hope to hear some thoughts on what kit to include in a bundle. I will be using a 100mm 2.2 both in studio and on trips abroad. Work is mostly portraits and landscape. Besides a spare battery what are the must-have's for the H5D?
    Must haves? A bulletproof backup that is capable of performing at a "comparable" level to your H5D. This will save your bacon on a trip abroad when, not if, your H5D fails at some point. I use an IQ180 and carry two H2 bodies with me on trips along with a Nikon D800E. This is based upon extensive and painful experiences over the years.

    Enjoy the H5D. It is a terrific camera that is capable of beautiful imagery.

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by sortvitt View Post
    Thanks a lot! How do you usually travel with your gear? What would you recommend in terms of hardcases, bags or both?
    Personally, I've always carried on the smaller Think-Tank Airport rollers that fit the over-head bins, or for sure under the seat.

    I pack a Think-Tank lens bag in with my checked baggage so I can go mobile with camera in hand and a lens or two. The lens bags come in 2 lens and 3 lens varieties. Larger diameter lenses like the HC24, 28, 35, the zooms, 120 and 300 and will not fit in these lens bags, but the 1.7X, extension tubes, 50-II, 80, 100, 150N, and 210 will.

    - Marc

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Must haves? A bulletproof backup that is capable of performing at a "comparable" level to your H5D.
    Now, that is the most sensible advice I see here. Especially when one considers that the H5D is still quite new and that its firmware may not be entirely stable yet...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Is Hasselblad Quick Release Coupler has plastic parts that can compromise camera security, especially when the camera is at angle in Portrait position with a heavy lens?

    Is Quick Release Coupler has an Arca Swiss base or need to be coupled with an Arca Swiss plate?

    Also, can you recommend a remote radio to release H4D/H5D camera shutter, for example, for non-tethered self/group portraits?

    Any experience with the Hasselblad Focusing Screen Acute-Matte D HS-Grid?

    Thanks
    Evgeny

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    The Hasselblad quick release coupler mounts on a standard tripod screw (small and big thread). The camera is quite securely hold by it, even when pointing down with an heavy lens. There are a few plastic parts (front and locking lever), but the coupler locks the camera plate with sliding dovetails, just like Arca Swiss does.

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by evgeny View Post
    Is Hasselblad Quick Release Coupler has plastic parts that can compromise camera security, especially when the camera is at angle in Portrait position with a heavy lens?

    Is Quick Release Coupler has an Arca Swiss base or need to be coupled with an Arca Swiss plate?

    Also, can you recommend a remote radio to release H4D/H5D camera shutter, for example, for non-tethered self/group portraits?

    Any experience with the Hasselblad Focusing Screen Acute-Matte D HS-Grid?

    Thanks
    Evgeny
    The only plastic piece on the H QR Coupler is a cosmetic front cover that has nothing to do with the actual working parts which are all heavy duty. It's a double safety type which requires pressing a separate lever down to release a safety pin, after you release the main lever.

    It is the same unit that originally was used for 500 and 200 V cameras which also has the camera plate built in ... and larger Zeiss and Hasselblad telephotos that came with the plate built into the lens foot ... including up to 500mm

    You can also get separate camera plates, which are very low profile, for use on other cameras.

    I have a couple left over from when I had my V and H systems, plus some extra camera plates ... PM me if interested.

    - Marc

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica, central america
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by evgeny View Post
    Is Hasselblad Quick Release Coupler has plastic parts that can compromise camera security, especially when the camera is at angle in Portrait position with a heavy lens?

    Is Quick Release Coupler has an Arca Swiss base or need to be coupled with an Arca Swiss plate?

    Also, can you recommend a remote radio to release H4D/H5D camera shutter, for example, for non-tethered self/group portraits?

    Any experience with the Hasselblad Focusing Screen Acute-Matte D HS-Grid?

    Thanks
    Evgeny
    Hi,

    If the issues is that you need to go out of the setting because of the ligthing or mirrors etc, you can trigger the camera using an iPhone by example :https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phoc...411637574?mt=8

    Now, in the other hand I can't phantom myself using a medium format camera for casual self portraits. The idea of leaving 30K US$ dollars unattended for the next guy to kick the tripod is chilling. There is a reason many crowded places have a no tripod rule.

    Maybe is me following my engineering "respect Murphy" mindset.

    I have never use one, but this two claim to work:

    Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote RCW-C1 B&H Photo Video

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-compatib.../dp/B003PHJWS6

    The BH people should be able to confirm if it works with the H5D

    Best regards,

    J. Duncan.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Thanks for replies. The Hasselblad Quick Release Coupler looks interesting.

    I not always shoot tethered.
    However I wish Phocus to support Android-based phones.
    I understand that this is not an easy task, because hardware from different manufacturers are not the same.

    Thanks
    Evgeny

  22. #22
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    A Really Right Stuff L Bracket transforms working from a tripod but you'd need to check that the current version for H1/H2/H3/H4 will fit H5.
    I think the Arca Swiss universal L plate is a better bet,it works with anything..http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...L_Bracket.html

  23. #23
    Senior Member stngoldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    newport, RI
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Hi,

    If the issues is that you need to go out of the setting because of the ligthing or mirrors etc, you can trigger the camera using an iPhone by example :https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phoc...411637574?mt=8

    Now, in the other hand I can't phantom myself using a medium format camera for casual self portraits. The idea of leaving 30K US$ dollars unattended for the next guy to kick the tripod is chilling. There is a reason many crowded places have a no tripod rule.

    Maybe is me following my engineering "respect Murphy" mindset.

    I have never use one, but this two claim to work:

    Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote RCW-C1 B&H Photo Video

    JJC compatible Hasselblad Release Cord H Wireless 30m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

    The BH people should be able to confirm if it works with the H5D

    Best regards,

    J. Duncan.

    I have use the Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote RCW-C1 successfully many times

    Stanley
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #24
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    I have just taken delivery of a H5D-200MS. Had all my older camera kit stolen (save my H4D-50) so decided to trade up. Might be a few weeks before I can really get to grips with it due to business committements, but looking forward to it
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica, central america
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I have just taken delivery of a H5D-200MS. Had all my older camera kit stolen (save my H4D-50) so decided to trade up. Might be a few weeks before I can really get to grips with it due to business committements, but looking forward to it

    Hey,

    Congratulations. Waiting for the review

    How is that possible ? If we go to hasselblad.com or to hasselbadusa.com there is not a H5D-200ms in the product menu.

    Is it not true that Hasselblad has the best communication strategy on the corporate World?

    Best regards,

    J. Duncan

  26. #26
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Hey,

    Congratulations. Waiting for the review

    How is that possible ? If we go to hasselblad.com or to hasselbadusa.com there is not a H5D-200ms in the product menu.

    Is it not true that Hasselblad has the best communication strategy on the corporate World?

    Best regards,

    J. Duncan
    Got mine in 3 weeks from Pro Centre in London.

    Agree - the websites are just not fully up to date.

    A lot to learn, even though the camera is fundamentally similar to a "standard" H5D-50. Will start experimenting tonight in the studio
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    If that is your first MS camera you will be blown away and immediately spoiled forever.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    A preliminary full resolution test shot available here (warning: very large file!):

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...d_Cup_0003.jpg

    Taken using the Mk 1 120mm Macro @ F/14, since replaced by the sharper Mk II. Despite the diffraction limiting issues with this lens at F/14, the result is significantly more detail than the single shot I took as a comparison.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad H5D - what should be in a starter kit

    Try shooting at higher ISO and compare single vs multishot. I always really liked the higher ISO multishot files. The shadows remain very clean while rendering a nice grain like structure (sure you can get this with PP too).

    From now on you will probably always think about solutions how to be able to do a multishot versus a single one

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •