Site Sponsors

Thread: Arca Swiss Rotaslide - Too Tight?

Post Thanks / Like

Arca Swiss Rotaslide - Too Tight?

Hi,

I use Arca Swiss products, and I feel as if I have rarely, if ever, been disappointed when purchasing a product from them. However, I just (tonight) received a second-hand Rotaslide which was the backup slider in a studio, and is essentially new (never really used). I have an AS 6x9 M-Line which I want to use it on, and after I mounted it, I found that the Rotaslide is extremely hard to slide! I mean, hard enough that if you don't have a studio stand and are using a tripod, the action of trying to slide it would probably change your framing a tiny bit as it is really twisting on the format frames and rail carriers...

Now, my question is, is this just new-product, tight tolerances? And I just need to slide it back and forth (a few hundred times...) to loosen it up a bit? What I mean is, is this normal?

I used a Phase One sliding back before, and it was just easy as hell to roll back and forth compared to the Arca...

Any input/feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Foster

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Arca Swiss Rotaslide - Too Tight?

I've done some more research this morning, yet, as per usual, it is difficult to find info on Arca Swiss in general, and the Rotaslide in particular. I did come across a post by someone who had the Kapture Group slider and had it become "sticky" after 6 months. His solution was to take it apart and lightly apply bicycle oil. Thoughts, anyone? I haven't yet looked to see how easy or difficult it may be to take the Rotaslide apart.

With the Rotaslide I have, it only seems to stick in the areas which have the black felt/velvet applied... Once this area is not touching the rear of the slider, but is positioned in an open frame, it slides quite easily. It's as if the material creates some sort of suction when touching the rear of the slider, thus not allowing it to freely move. So in this sense, I am not sure that new oil is really needed. On some parts of the Rotaslide, I can already see some residue from a lubricant.

Thanks for any thoughts or input you may have; I'm just trying to get this figured out without causing any damage to the item.

Thanks,
    Foster

Post Thanks / Like

Oil sounds like a great way to attract dirt - very very bad idea!! Arca Swiss has a very good US Based Service Center at Precision Camera Works. I suggest you contact them before doing any sort of repair or adjustment. Here is their contact info:

Precision Camera Works
    ARCA-SWISS Sales
    ARCA-SWISS Authorized Service Center

7064 W. Main Street
    Niles, IL 60714
    Precision Camera Works :: Camera Repair
    Tel:847/470-3350
    Fax:847/470-3351
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plus, oil and felt don't work well together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PRECISION CAMERA WORKS IS AWESOME
    STANLEY

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, thanks guys. I will get in touch with Precision Camera Works.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foster_jb View Post
    I've done some more research this morning, yet, as per usual, it is difficult to find info on Arca Swiss in general, and the Rotaslide in particular.
    Info about Arca Swiss is REALLY easy to get. It's just not easy to get on the web.

A good dealer, the US Arca Rep Rod Klukas, or Precision Camera are all chuck full of Arca information ready for questions.

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. Yes: normally you would contact your dealer for assistance, but since you have none you're best off contacting Precision Camera directly. They provide very good Arca service.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

WHile, there's a lot of really nice and helpfull dealers over here... doug being one of them...

i'm posting two links where you can find some informations and references... i have no links with this shops...

in english and german
    Arca-Shop.de

in french (but you can use google translation)
    Bienvenue sur Arca-Swiss-magasin.com